Menu

Update direct from my hometown (Sendai)

We finally heard from one pastor. He and his family are fine. He was able to confirm that 4 of his church members are ok too although one person's house was severely damaged. He drove around until his car was blocked by parked cars (gas stations aren't open) and confirmed that 3 out of 5 church buildings are still standing. He's still trying to locate the most important part of the church - the actual pastors and people.

There is no electricity. People have to wait in lines for 2 to 3 hours just for water. There are other lines for food and gas. One of the churches he wasn't able to get to was directly in line with the Tsunami on the coast. There is no cell phone reception and even landlines work in some areas but not in others. He's terribly concerned about that church. Please continue to pray. I can't watch any more video clips etc. It reduces me to tears every time. My family has been pulling together. People I knew in Tokyo and other parts of Japan have been calling to express their love and concern which has shored me up considerably.

New Update - Just heard a report of the church in Fukushima (right in the shadow of the main nuclear reactor that is having the meltdown). They are all fine but have been evacuated. They sounded more frustrated by it all than anything, which actually made me feel better!

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Jean, I just posted in reply to one of your posts on the College Board -- I'm sorry for what you're going through. I have friends in Yamada and Miyako, up the coast, and am just walking around with my heart in my throat. I also can't stop watching the videos and other stuff on the web. Hugs to you :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm so glad you had some good news. I can't watch any more, either. I know my cousin is having a hard time, even though he's okay. At least he was able to find a phone to call home, so that was good. He's in an area without electricity, and I'm not sure about water.

:grouphug: to you. It's going to be a long recovery there.

I was at a sing-along tonight. I sat and heard people talk about "the amazing videos of the tsunami! and how I'm glad that it happened there and not here." They didn't mean anything horrible by it and do feel sympathy for the Japanese but it was difficult to hear comments like that.

Singing itself is a very emotional experience for me because I sing with all my heart. I'm afraid that in the midst of a group of people (half of whom I know very well) I just lost it and started to sob. I left and went to another room to calm down and all these ladies started to follow me to comfort me. I appreciated their love and support but sort of wanted to be alone to get myself together. I almost started laughing hysterically while still crying when one woman (with no idea why I was even crying) told me to "just let it all out". My dh said that he was thinking "uh-oh" when he saw the exodus of ladies following me out the room. Eventually they went back to the singing and I was able to sit quietly and regain control. I don't mind showing my emotions per se but do like to be in control of them.

Whew! Now I am just exhausted.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Tough night. :sad: I think for some folks, if they've never experienced a disaster, or haven't familiarity with a place, it becomes a surreal event watching it on TV. You gave much grace to those who said comments.

I sat and heard people talk about "the amazing videos of the tsunami! and how I'm glad that it happened there and not here."

:confused: Seriously, I've never understood people who say things like that. Even if they're not "trying" to be insensitive, it's horrible & shows their self-centeredness & ignorance of the world. To me, people who speak that way have lost some of their humanity.

:grouphug:, Jean.

I was at a sing-along tonight. I sat and heard people talk about "the amazing videos of the tsunami! and how I'm glad that it happened there and not here." They didn't mean anything horrible by it and do feel sympathy for the Japanese but it was difficult to hear comments like that.

Singing itself is a very emotional experience for me because I sing with all my heart. I'm afraid that in the midst of a group of people (half of whom I know very well) I just lost it and started to sob. I left and went to another room to calm down and all these ladies started to follow me to comfort me. I appreciated their love and support but sort of wanted to be alone to get myself together. I almost started laughing hysterically while still crying when one woman (with no idea why I was even crying) told me to "just let it all out". My dh said that he was thinking "uh-oh" when he saw the exodus of ladies following me out the room. Eventually they went back to the singing and I was able to sit quietly and regain control. I don't mind showing my emotions per se but do like to be in control of them.

Whew! Now I am just exhausted.

Oh Jean. I am so so sorry. I am so sick over what is happening in Japan, I cannot even imagine what you are feeling. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

We were at a party on Saturday. A good number of the people there had recently transferred from Japan (south of Tokyo). So while we didn't have friends and neighbors directly in harms way, we'd been glued to the news and Facebooking our friends to find out what was going on. I thought that the guest of honor put it well. She said that in the past if she'd seen the video, she would have watched and then said how horrible and been sad. But having lived there, it was different. These were real places and real people who were hurting and seeing their lives turned upside down. And the level of concern we had for Japan was on a different deeper level.

Even though I don't have friends in Sendai, and can count all of our friends among those who are (so far) only inconvenienced by the quake; when I watch, it is so very present. The streets aren't filled with odd little houses and strange looking people. These are identical to the streets we've walked for two years and are far more familiar to me than DC. The people look like people who were my friends and neighbors and my heart just aches for them.

:grouphug:, Jean. I'm so sorry. I "get" your singing experience. It took over a year when I divorced to be able to sing without crying. It sounds as if you handled your situation with grace... having the women follow you and all. You are a lovely example to me in many ways. I'm so, so sorry for your pain in this. :grouphug:

Even though I don't have friends in Sendai, and can count all of our friends among those who are (so far) only inconvenienced by the quake; when I watch, it is so very present. The streets aren't filled with odd little houses and strange looking people. These are identical to the streets we've walked for two years and are far more familiar to me than DC. The people look like people who were my friends and neighbors and my heart just aches for them.

I think this is so true! It's the little things, like recognizing the drink bottles, or food. Seeing convinence chains that you've visited. Seeing license plates that aren't "foreign." Heck, nothing is foreign, it's "home." Realizing that this could have been "here." Being here right now is so very surreal/unreal. I understand the desire to not want to watch anymore, on the other hand, it's the only way to know what is happening now, what has changed from yesterday. It's easy now with all the English coverage from the UK and US, but how is that going to change when the coverage goes away?

Jean, I'm glad you got news from your friends and I can only hope that more parishioners are found and safe. I wonder how they will ever get things cleaned up, rebuilt and all those survivors will get there lives back.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

My mom was missing for a week after Katrina. No one had any idea where she was. Landlines weren't working nor were cell phones. I still recall the day when while i was talking to my Aunt, my mom's sister, a strange number beeped and I answered and it was my mom's voice on someone else's cell phone. Seeing the video footage of my friend's homes completely under water to the roof tops....looking at street signs that I knew, nearly under water and later visiting and seeing how much the landscape had changed.....just heartbreaking.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

I think this is so true! It's the little things, like recognizing the drink bottles, or food. Seeing convinence chains that you've visited. Seeing license plates that aren't "foreign." Heck, nothing is foreign, it's "home." Realizing that this could have been "here." Being here right now is so very surreal/unreal. I understand the desire to not want to watch anymore, on the other hand, it's the only way to know what is happening now, what has changed from yesterday. It's easy now with all the English coverage from the UK and US, but how is that going to change when the coverage goes away?

Jean, I'm glad you got news from your friends and I can only hope that more parishioners are found and safe. I wonder how they will ever get things cleaned up, rebuilt and all those survivors will get there lives back.

Jamee, there is a channel on AFN that provides the English translated NHK coverage. I think it was around channel 25 on the free/basic lineup.

My heart goes out to everyone in Japan. My family survived Rita evacuation and hunkered down for Ike (20 minutes from Gulf) which were nothing compared to the tsunami. I remember the desperation for fuel, water, and food and it was nothing compared to what those towns are dealing with. I remember families from our church losing everything and not being able to access the street their house was on for months to see the damage - months. I remember driving through our town the day after the storm and it looked like a war zone with boats in the middle of the road, signs down, the heartbreak, the sense that life would never be the same again. It was, but it took a LOT of time and our hurricane was nothing compared to Sendai. One can't fathom until they have seen and lived through wondering how they will feed their children, let alone themselves.

:grouphug: