Menu

What age did you start Miquon?

Aspasia

4yo, *but* it was just a couple times per week, and we didn't start off with labsheets at all. I can't remember when we actually started the Orange book...but I do know that when ds8 was 4yo I set him up with a little "math play" table for just him while I chased the 2yo and 1yo. Those were crazy days! (I was too busy and sleep deprived to inflict too much learning.:tongue_smilie:)

My dd was 4yo when we started doing some rod play beyond free play. She started Orange at 5yo....still, it's sporadic; not like we plow through the book iykwim.

Current 4yo is in the play stage. I'm ordering Orange for him so we'll have it next year, but am in no hurry to start.

4. Just turned 4.

We did do Lab Sheets, play, directed play, homemade Lab Sheets, many activities based on ideas from the First Grade Diary, ideas "stolen" from the RS Activities for AL Abacus book (some translated to rods and blocks), activities involving things I made up, and sheets my then 4 year old made himself.

And we made cards with red dots to represent 1-10 Japanese math style (two rows of 5 to make Ten, and Tally stick style, and regular numerals. And used RS place value cards and base-10 cards, and modeled three digit numers using base-10 "flats" (100s) Orange C Rods (10s) and C Rods (Units) as well as modeling them on an AL Abacus. Stuff like that.

Short answer, 4 :D

Bill (in a bigger hurry than Paula :tongue_smilie:)

I just bought Miquon for my 6 y/o. He attended a Montessori school for 3 years where he's already spent lots of time working with place value and manipulatives. I think that Miquon used in addition with the RS games will nicely complement the Montessori style math that he's already accustomed to doing.