Menu

Favorite Arabic resources?

If Arabic is not your first language, how are you teaching your child to speak Arabic? My husband, sadly, is not home nearly enough to 'immerse' DS in the language but I have a hard time teaching something I don't even know!!

We purchased the Arabian Sinbad Learning Chest a few years ago and haven't used it nearly enough, but it's a total immersion learning system.

Any tips? resources? feedback? TIA!!

Do you want something secular or Non-Muslim?

Actually doesn't matter. We are Muslim (Sunni), so if it has it, that's great, and if not, that would be "ok" too. I have DH 'preview' everything just in case (he thinks some sound really strange, which mostly has to do with the dialect, not the accuracy of the audio). Thanks!!!!

Salam u alaikkum! I'm Muslim too :lol: (I know, I can be such a bumpkin sometimes! I still get excited to meet new Muslims!)

I'm not a native speaker, so I don't quite meet your qualifications exactly...also, I just realized that your student is 5yo. Not 5th grade. I was going to recommend GateWay to Arabic....but how about Arabic Without Tears?

Are you trying to get him to read or write in Arabic?

I don't know much about Arabic Curriculum for Little kids...when I was little, we used a book on Reading Quranic Arabic and later the Al-Madinah texts with a tutor, but they made me feel overwhelmed sometimes...and I was around 7 or 8yos...

Sorry, I can't be of more help :(...

I have been using Alif Baa with my boys for over a year now. It isn't designed for kids at all so I read it and teach from it. It comes with a DVD and provides systematic instruction on how to read and write in Arabic. It is slow going, but my boys are learning and can read and write some basic Arabic words and we are just finishing the first unit. We started off learning the alphabet and the sounds of the various letters.

I recently added Arabian Sinbad which they love. We have used Arabic without Tears to practice writing too. I've also used Arabic Instant Immersion which isn't the best, but it worth the low price tag. My boys liked trying to improve their scores. The Abjad magnetic letters were a hit too.

There are other resources that I have stumbled across, but most of them were religious in nature. We aren't Muslim so I have been looking for more general Arabic instruction rather than religious instruction combined with Arabic.

Ok..."As Salaamu Alaykum wa Rahmantullahi!!!!!

Wa Alaikkum As Salam, Wa Rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu! :).

@Nov05Mama: Aagh! If you're willing to go the route of "Learning to Teach" I would NOT recommend Alif Baa. Its okay, but its a college level text and seems to be not very user friendly. I've handled those books in real life, but haven't used them enough to share the opinion of 'hating' that book, but I do know that I prefer Gate Way To Arabic!

Most of the Arabic students and non-native speakers I know all hate/hated Alif Baa. I've seen it in person and I didn't like it either, but I have never used it to learn from. One note I can make: I wear glasses and I found the text very uncomfortable to read from. The text is so, so small its bizarre really.

Most of the Muslim kids I know who used the text in College have already had several years exposure to Arabic and even some Arabic classes via the Muslim community, but its a running joke that they hate that book series...

If I were going the Learn-to-Teach route, I'd go with GateWay to Arabic series, or something similar like from Noorart.

--mom2bee

Edited by mom2bee

If you're willing to go the route of "Learning to Teach" I would NOT recommend Alif Baa. Its okay, but its a college level text and seems to be not very user friendly.

Interesting to hear. We've found it quite user friendly. It comes with a DVD with sequential lessons slowly building on what you know. I can see how it is designed for people with previous exposure to Arabic as a spoken language though. It has done a great job teaching my children how to read and write in Arabic so far. Arabian Sinbad does a better job teaching vocabulary, but I put some structure into that program because immersion programs haven't been too effective with my kids.

Wow! Wehomeschool, I just realized that you are the author of one of my favorite blogs! I love your kids work!

I remember I found your blog by chance, but bookmarked it cause you have awesome literature lists for 1st and 3rd grade, and your kids are being raised up with multiple languages in your homeschool (French, Arabic and Chinese, yeah?). You're one of my HomeSchool Heroes! My students love your literature lists (they don't know that its your list they love, but they do.)

Ontopic: I said they weren't very user friendly, because in my opinion, its hard to find stuff in the book. I've never used the DVD's so I can't judge them. But I feel that if used for "Learning to Teach" it might be a bit hassleish to use/reference....

I don't remember there being page headings/chapter outlines/section reviews, but I may be wrong.

Like I said, I don't own the books, I've seen them and have handled them before when I was considering taking Arabic at the other university, I went to a friends house to check them out. I was trying to figure out if I should take an Arabic placement test or just Arabic 101....

It may be possible that I am thinking of a different book in the same Series...looking at the Amazon link, I'm not sure if thats the COVER I remember....but its definitely the same...

Wow! Wehomeschool, I just realized that you are the author of one of my favorite blogs! I love your kids work!

I remember I found your blog by chance, but bookmarked it cause you have awesome literature lists for 1st and 3rd grade, and your kids are being raised up with multiple languages in your homeschool (French, Arabic and Chinese, yeah?). You're one of my HomeSchool Heroes! My students love your literature lists (they don't know that its your list they love, but they do.)

Ontopic: I said they weren't very user friendly, because in my opinion, its hard to find stuff in the book. I've never used the DVD's so I can't judge them. But I feel that if used for "Learning to Teach" it might be a bit hassleish to use/reference....

I don't remember there being page headings/chapter outlines/section reviews, but I may be wrong.

Like I said, I don't own the books, I've seen them and have handled them before when I was considering taking Arabic at the other university, I went to a friends house to check them out. I was trying to figure out if I should take an Arabic placement test or just Arabic 101....

It may be possible that I am thinking of a different book in the same Series...looking at the Amazon link, I'm not sure if thats the COVER I remember....but its definitely the same...

Thank you for the kind words :001_smile:

I use Alif Baa with Multimedia. It only comes with 1 DVD that demonstrates how to write the letters and has drill and practice exercises from the book. I couldn't use it without the DVD. As I said we have gone slowly and done the intro and the first unit over 1.5 years. We go over each new letter and then do the exercises and drill from the DVD. Some exercises involve reading what is written, writing down what you hear, or connecting the letters. My boys use a white board for the exercises. I have the answer key to go along with the book too. It will probably be a couple of years before we finish it though :tongue_smilie:

My daughter has been learning Arabic since she was 10 months old (she's now 18 months old) and I although my wife and I have studied Arabic, all we have done with her is teach her the alphabet, which she learned very quickly, and play Arabic children's songs for her on CD or from YouTube. We also have our Arabic teacher teaching our daughter 6 hours a week.

ooh yeah i am so glad there are some more muslims coming on board here !! so i have an almost 2yr old so i dont know how much of help this is going to be but i plan to use IQRA arabic reader for elementary school (they also have preschool workbooks at noorart) along with arabic lesson with his islamic studies program Ad-Duha( yes i planned way far ahead) i am thinking of maybe getting Arabian sinbad but it has alot of music in it and we dont anything with music but we may if we cant find anything else