Menu

once your child hits middle school, does this mean all the "fun" stuff stops?

dancer67

Kind of a strange question. I know.

But when my daughter was younger, there were so many choices and we could make school as fun as we wanted.

We loved doing crafts, projects and lapbooks.

Now that we are in the 6th/7th grade levels, we seem to have to be more serious about school. Subjects are getting harder. Seems to be less to choose from.

Do you still do projects, or fun things with your child in the middle school years?

I don't think it stops, per se. But its more on the student and teacher to adapt their subject to 'fun' stuff...

I have no idea why this is, but I've been looking for 'fun' things for my 6th and 7th graders as side projects and haven't seen anything *F.U.N.* yet...but there are definitely some interesting things, just nothing that interests them, lol.

I don't think it stops, per se. But its more on the student and teacher to adapt their subject to 'fun' stuff...

I have no idea why this is, but I've been looking for 'fun' things for my 6th and 7th graders as side projects and haven't seen anything *F.U.N.* yet...but there are definitely some interesting things, just nothing that interests them, lol.

I thought your 'students' were a 1st and 3rd grader.

I don't think (I hope not, at least) that all the fun stops. School work certainly needs to be done at a higher level, but even adults can make time for fun things outside their work, right?

I mean, we took off this fall when we got a chance to go to the Williamsburg area (Yorktown, Jamestown, Monticello) with my husband. We also went to Boston with him right after that - and we've been talking about those areas of our country and the people who lived there almost all school year as part of our early modern studies (we were just reading more about Jefferson this week).

My son is aging out of our local children's theatre plays, which are mostly geared toward elementary school, but we still did see some of them this year that seemed geared to older kids and we did get a chance to see Blue Man Group and Stomp! this year at school performance day prices. We're going to our local college to see the Lexington Philharmonic perform Aaron Copeland's Appalachian Spring next week. He seems to enjoy these things. I hope he's having fun!

I've tried to schedule some real world chemistry related tours this year - we went to the Louisville Science Center and did mad science (burning chemicals, making a bomb, etc.) in their new chem lab in the fall; we toured our local water company and sewage company, visited a winery, etc. He's in an art class with a local artist and while I don't always feel he's getting that much out of it, he seems to love it and wants to continue, so I let him.....

We're getting ready to go to the Speed Art museum to see an impressionist art collection that's on there right now. We're getting ready to go to Cincy to see the Cleopatra exhibit that's on there.

The "fun" stuff may not be in doing artsy/craftsy things as part of the school day, or playing games (we still do that some), or singing our lessons (not really ideal for memory, anyway), but I hope that I still provide things that he wouldn't be getting on a weekly/monthly basis if he were in a regular middle school routine.

Not to much to do around here. We live out in the "sticks" . Anywhere we go is a long drive:glare:

I loved the elementary school days much more than middle school years.

Hmm, maybe somehow we can incorporate pre-algebra into a sand and water table :lol:

We managed to keep the fun in there up through high school. Also, neither or our DSs ever liked coloring, arts & crafts, lap books, etc., so what's "fun" for them would be different than "fun" for others. But the concept is the same: it's just that as your students get older, what is *fun* (to them and to you) changes. And so you just incorporate the new "fun" into your schooling. (It also moves from being able to be every day, to maybe once a week or every two weeks.)

Our DSs are grades 11 and 12; we still enjoy:

- game night (it's just now, it only fits in about one night a week instead of every night)

- read alouds just for fun (ditto on frequency as above)

- movies to go along with our history (we watched the recent version of Robin Hood while covering medieval times)

- local Renaissance Festival or history re-enactment events; museum visits

- get a small group of other homeschoolers together and invite a guest speaker in

- get together once a month with another homeschooling family or two for science labs, art, presentations, or other big project

- field trips (I've scheduled fantastic tours for our group's gr. 6-12 homeschoolers to our university: Radio/TV studio; telescope mirror lab; lab for particle accelerator for carbon dating; aerospace engineering clubs demo-ing micro and macro air vehicles; etc.)

- both DSs have had a GREAT time getting involved in activities outside the home -- tennis with the nearby public high school team; Youth & Government; attended a JAS conference; served as Student Council representatives and elected officers in homeschool youth group; etc. -- and I often get to still be a part of it by volunteering to be a facilitator or a helper ;)

- family camping, skiing, or other short trip to a fun place or event

Other students we know really enjoy taking photos and putting together the year book for the local homeschooling group; forming their own bands; sewing/creating historic clothing or costumes; running a weekly girls mentoring group in which they teach each other hand crafts (knitting, quilting, etc.) and donate the results to needy groups; performing in teen theater; making movies; etc. (Older DS and I have had a great time making several short films together. Another mom has had a blast doing yearbook with her two teen daughters -- it's been like scrapbooking or lapbooking!)

In middle school, I made sure I scheduled time for just trying out interesting and different fun things, because it IS a lot harder to have time for that while getting your required credits done in high school. (Even grades 9-10 are easier to get "fun" in than the last 2 years, as your student may also be working, doing dual-credit courses as a community college, working on getting a driver's license, etc.) In middle school we really enjoyed our world cultures/geography year by "eating" our way through the various countries, making a food or going to a restaurant for each country. We also still enjoyed playing games from each country. For logic/critical thinking, we had fun all together with a daily morning "puzzler" of some sort, and going through Fallacy Detective.

Don't worry -- you'll be creative and still have fun. Just make sure to schedule a little TIME for it! :) ENJOY your homeschool journey with your children! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Hmm, maybe somehow we can incorporate pre-algebra into a sand and water table :lol:

:lol: :lol:

We live an hour and a half away from anywhere also- literally. :glare:

We do alot of hands on. We really do alot of hands on with science. History we do alot of projects such as I will have dd make an appropriate meal from the country and era she is learning about. Sometimes I will have her make a diorama about what she is learning about in history, or a mobile. Every once in a while I will have her design a lesson about what she learned about appropriate for her little brothers (that is really fun!)

English is english. She is not longer into parts of speech mobiles or games like that lol.

Reading we have fun with. Sometimes I will have her re-write a story she read into a play, or when working on figurative language I will have her write a story using it after she reads a story or to that is fully of whatever figurative language she just learned about.

We have done commercials trying to sell whatever country she is learning about for a vacation (those get reallllly fun sometimes :D)

I guess our fun is kinda limited to science and history though now that I am typing some of this out. It still works for us though! Or ofcourse the occasional movie days (such as the nutty professor for chemistry LOL)

She does alot with the tri-fold cardboard poster things you can buy (how is THAT for a description?? LOL)

We're having MORE fun in middle school. Ds is more mature and he brings fun to the table. We have great conversations and he interacts with me differently. He's developing a wicked sense of humor and superior powers of negotiation, those keep me on my toes.

I hate doing projects, there I said it. I'm glad everything doesn't have to be a project. In middle school, we're using more brain power. I'm learning so much about the teen brain in algebra. Ds will blurt out these random comments that have nothing to do with math. It happens almost every class. I know his brain is making some funky connection at that point.

Maybe she's a teacher

Lol, aren't we all, whether we realize it or not?

I thought your 'students' were a 1st and 3rd grader.

I work with multiple students on multiple levels. My "Primary" students are in 1st -3rd grade and thats the range I have the most experience with, but I meant "primary" as in "of first rank or importance or value; direct and immediate rather than secondary;" They're the ones I see practically daily and am working with most right now.

I thought in another post she didn't have kids yet :confused: :confused: :confused: In the post about what is the point of pre-k and K? Maybe I read that wrong I don't know :confused:

I don't have any children of my own (yet) but I work (very closely and very regularly) with homeschooled and some Public schooled students, mostly as a tutor/ secondary teacher in the 3R's department, but I also do other subjects from time to time.

I deleted my signature earlier today because it looks like I might get 2 more primary students (2nd and 4th grade) and I'm waiting to see...

Lol, aren't we all, whether we realize it or not?

I work with multiple students on multiple levels. My "Primary" students are in 1st -3rd grade and thats the range I have the most experience with, but I meant "primary" as in "of first rank or importance or value; direct and immediate rather than secondary;" They're the ones I see practically daily and am working with most right now.

I don't have any children of my own (yet) but I work (very closely and very regularly) with homeschooled and some Public schooled students, mostly as a tutor/ secondary teacher in the 3R's department, but I also do other subjects from time to time.

I deleted my signature earlier today because it looks like I might get 2 more primary students (2nd and 4th grade) and I'm waiting to see...

If this is the case, why don't you go ahead and post here what the ages and grades of ALL your current students are?

We're having MORE fun in middle school. Ds is more mature and he brings fun to the table. We have great conversations and he interacts with me differently. He's developing a wicked sense of humor and superior powers of negotiation, those keep me on my toes.

I hate doing projects, there I said it. I'm glad everything doesn't have to be a project. In middle school, we're using more brain power. I'm learning so much about the teen brain in algebra. Ds will blurt out these random comments that have nothing to do with math. It happens almost every class. I know his brain is making some funky connection at that point.

Paula, I could have written this! I have absolutely LOVED homeschooling the middle school and high school years! It has been such a blast. No more focusing on teaching to read, or math fundamentals, or massive attitude battles (well, okay, maybe once in awhile, LOL), forced arts & crafts.

The sense of humor, the connections, the conversations... our DSs genuinely ENJOY being with us. They both can crack me up like no one else... I am really trying not to look too far ahead, but in 70 days our older DS graduates!! ::sniff-sniff:: Bittersweet! I'm hoping next year we can still do a book together every so often, or he'll tell me about what he's learning in class...

Guest Dulcimeramy

I totally agree with Paula and Lori! I am really enjoying these years with my older boys.

As far as fun stuff goes, the best fun for logic-stage kids happens when they are following their own interests.

My boys don't really want me to make fun for them in the form of arts, crafts, and field trips anymore.

They want to knuckle down, study hard, get done with school, and have hours and hours of free time to pursue their own ideas of fun.

They are quite aware that their studies are more rigorous than their public-schooled friends' homework, but that is more than offset by their homework-free evenings and weekends!

A child's definition of fun changes as he grows.

If I'm hijacking the thread, please say, but what "fun" things are you all referring to from the elementary grades?

My boys are 7 and they're in theater class, a great ceramics class. One is starting soccer, both tennis.

Our Latin program is fun, but the rest of it is. . . just Writing with Ease, FLL, learning math facts. We laugh and play Skittle School, but plenty of it is just. . boring.

What do you guys mean by "fun?"

Alley

I never really looked at it from that POV.

Now that I look back at it, dd and I have had some great conversations, and I have even learned a thing or two.(or three or four;))

The thing I like the best NOW is the science experiments. I am a huge Science buff, and she is as well. So we love to do those.

I guess by "fun" things, I meant doing our lapbooks, History Pockets, cooking foreign foods and having a little "lunch party", drawing, coloring..etc. The possibilties seemed endless when they were younger.

I guess I am going to have to accept that my dd is growing up, and she is my last one to homeschool.

BUT, with that said, maybe I will sneak in a few coloring pages, and call it "Art History":lol::lol:

I never really looked at it from that POV.

Now that I look back at it, dd and I have had some great conversations, and I have even learned a thing or two.(or three or four;))

The thing I like the best NOW is the science experiments. I am a huge Science buff, and she is as well. So we love to do those.

I guess by "fun" things, I meant doing our lapbooks, History Pockets, cooking foreign foods and having a little "lunch party", drawing, coloring..etc. The possibilties seemed endless when they were younger.

I guess I am going to have to accept that my dd is growing up, and she is my last one to homeschool.

BUT, with that said, maybe I will sneak in a few coloring pages, and call it "Art History":lol::lol:

I asked my 7th grade ds to please color some of his science pages. Oh, they look so pretty and he found that he likes coloring ;)