Menu

Birthing center pros/cons....

I keep going back and forth on this. On one hand, I have SOOO many pros to use the birthing center for my whole pregnancy and delivery. I feel good about it, excited. :) I want to try a water birth.

The med-free thing doesn't scare me-I've done it twice on purpose. lol My biggest reasons for wanting to go the birth center route is:

1) using a midwife. I heard that care is so much more personal and involved...my OB is great, but she's pretty impersonal.

2) Doing a water birth. I've lots of great things about them. :)

3) Being in a comfy setting and getting to go home a few hours later. I've started to have very negative feelings towards hospitals after my five hospital births. I seem to relate pain and being uncomfortable to hospitals now so that I get knots in my stomach just stepping into a hospital. lol I hate being stuck in bed, or even if I can walk around I hate the IV pole that has to come with me, and the constant monitoring belts that make contractions hurt worse because of the constriction. :( Not to mention that I just can't really relax in that kind of setting, which is the ENTIRE concept of my birthing method (Bradley)...relaxation. So basically if I'm in a hospital, I'm getting an epidural. Because I can't cope otherwise. lol

My Dh says its up to me, but he is really worried about complications...of course the one big CON to a birthing center. THey can deal with some complications, but if a hospital is required - they have to call an ambulance first, and then the hospital is about 10 min away. If its a real emergency...every second counts.

I have no history of any complications whatsoever...but things happen.

Would I be taking too big of a risk?

What if I made a compromise and used a CNM and delivered at the hospital, but laboring primarily at home like I've done in the past. In that case I'd ask to be released early, and not stay the night. THere is nothing worse then trying to get used to a new baby and also get some rest, in a loud, busy hospital with uncomfortable beds and nurses coming in and out waking the baby up all day. lol!

So BTDT advice?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've hospital birthed six times and homebirthed twice (in the country). I could not imagine homebirthing here in the city where I already feel crowded and there are too many staircases (my bedroom is on the third floor and the only bathroom is on the second floor). Cons of hospital were that my previous state would strap you down with all the monitors from the get-go. Here though, they are agreeable to minimal monitoring, allowing one to walk, labouring in a jacuzzi, etc. I see the pro is that I will get MORE rest away from the kids.

Have you seen the documentary called The Business of Being Born? We just watched it for one of my college classes. It's about the U.S. birthing system. Netflix has it, I don't know about any other places.

FWIW, you could ask your OB to be your back-up if you decide to take the birthing center option. That way, if you need to get to a hospital, you have a doctor on call who knows you.

I did Bradley with my 3rd child and managed an unmedicated birth in a hospital. But they insisted I have an IV thingee in "just in case" and a fetal monitor. But my hospital had birthing rooms that were decorated to look comfy, or at least as comfy as a hospital could get it. All the machines and official looking things were behind a curtain. I was able to walk around, get in the shower, and sit on my exercise ball when I wanted. Is that an option at the hospitals around you?

Have you seen the documentary called The Business of Being Born? We just watched it for one of my college classes. It's about the U.S. birthing system. Netflix has it, I don't know about any other places.

FWIW, you could ask your OB to be your back-up if you decide to take the birthing center option. That way, if you need to get to a hospital, you have a doctor on call who knows you.

I did Bradley with my 3rd child and managed an unmedicated birth in a hospital. But they insisted I have an IV thingee in "just in case" and a fetal monitor. But my hospital had birthing rooms that were decorated to look comfy, or at least as comfy as a hospital could get it. All the machines and official looking things were behind a curtain. I was able to walk around, get in the shower, and sit on my exercise ball when I wanted. Is that an option at the hospitals around you?

I have seen the Business of Being Born. THat's kind of what helped me make my decision to use a birthing center.

I did Bradley for my 1st and 2nd children, unmedicated. :) The key was that I labored 90% or more at home, and basically just got to the hospital to push. But I couldn't time my other deliveries to go as easy as that. :(

We only have one hospital here, and it doesn't have nice birthing rooms. The birthing rooms are just very medical...hospital bed, with a couple chairs for visitors to sit in and machines right next to the bed. I don't think the birthing rooms even have showers...just a tiolet. Because they transfer you to a normal hospital room after you have the baby to recover and stay the night in-that one does have a shower. :) THey recently updated the hospital to have all private patient rooms, but they still look the same. lol At least now I wouldn't have to share a room with someone else after I had the baby though. That sucks. lol

I've given birth at two hospitals, a birth center and at home. Home is by far the easiest. The drive to the birth center was irritating but the care once there was the least intrusive and most helpful.

Even in a hospital, many emergencies cannot be taken care of immediately. Doctors are "on-call" that means they have to get to the hospital as quickly as they can. If you are 10 minutes away by ambulance, chances are, the hospital won't be ready to deal with your problem before you arrive.

My best advice is to be comfortable and confident in your care giver and know yourself. You are going to be making decisions concerning this child for the rest of your life. You are capable of choosing well.

I've had one hospital birth and four home water births. (Which location do you think I prefer? ;)) I would not choose to give birth in a hospital again for a normal pregnancy/birth. I trust my midwife to transfer care in the unlikely event that the pregnancy/birth is no longer normal and low risk. I feel much more comfortable having 2-3 people there to monitor only me and my baby rather than being one of 2-3 laboring women being monitored by one nurse. I got plenty of rest after my home births--way, way more rest than I got in the hospital after my one birth there. Since you're considering a birth center you will be away from your kids if that makes it easier to rest.

Basically, there are benefits and risks to both locations. You need to decide which risks are more acceptable to you. I decided that the risk of receiving unnecessary medical treatment, which comes with minor to major risks depending on the type, was greater than the risk that a serious complication would occur during a birth at home. As I said above, my mw monitors me and my baby and would transfer if that ever became the safer option.

There is no "right" answer. Every woman needs to make the decision that is most comfortable for her. :)

ETA: I used Hypnobabies to prepare for my home births. Most of my births were painfree or nearly so because of the hypnosis techniques. :)

Edited by Veritaserum

I have no history of any complications whatsoever...but things happen.

Would I be taking too big of a risk?

I planned on a birth center birth and my baby died in labor. Things do happen, even in low-risk moms. Granted, babies can die in a hospital, too, and if I had been at the hospital, my daughter still may have died. Still - a fetal monitor doesn't seem like such a terrible inconvenience to me at this point.

Sorry to tell the horror story, but honestly I wish someone had said that to me. Too often I think "low risk" gets communicated as "no risk." I would never recommend birth centers now.

Personally I am more worried about a hospital causing something to go wrong than needing a hospital because something went wrong naturally.

Have you considered the risks of the hospital aside from unnecessary interventions such as nosocomial infection (you or your baby) and medical error? One of my best friends has spent her entire life in a wheelchair due to a nosocomial infection she contracted shortly after birth.

America's infant and maternal mortality rates are abysmal.

Personally I would feel much safer at home than in a hospital.(There are no birth centers in my area.)

An additional plus is that the rates of postpartum depression are much lower in mothers who homebirth.

I'd go with the birth center.

In my (granted one) birth experience the stress of being in the hospital made everything a thousand times worse and even caused complications. I had a fear (practically phobic) of hospitals before I gave birth and my birth experience most definitely did not help. After DS was born I told DH that unless it was a 100% life-or-death you wouldn't voluntarily get me in a hospital to give birth again. For this baby we're doing a home birth with a very hands-off midwife. I'm only at 23 weeks but it has been such a fantastic experience so far. She has let *me* be in charge of my prenatal care, even at our first visit I was encouraged to do things for myself so that I'd get to know and be more in-tune with my body. We talk on a regular basis, by phone or by email, and she's more like a good friend that I just happen to talk about pregnancy stuff with rather than a care provider. Even my DH, who is terrified of birth and was worried about having a midwife and home birth to the point that he was sick, adores her and just how much more enjoyable the "laid back, do it yourself" approach has made this pregnancy. Neither one of us could imagine going back to the classic OB-hospital experience.

I planned on a birth center birth and my baby died in labor. Things do happen, even in low-risk moms. Granted, babies can die in a hospital, too, and if I had been at the hospital, my daughter still may have died. Still - a fetal monitor doesn't seem like such a terrible inconvenience to me at this point.

Sorry to tell the horror story, but honestly I wish someone had said that to me. Too often I think "low risk" gets communicated as "no risk." I would never recommend birth centers now.

:grouphug:

I have only given birth in hospitals and it was fine. I was in a major hospital in New York City with I am sure fancier surroundings than some other hospitals. My labor and delivery was just fine. My only complaint was that I wish my son had been maybe a wee bit smaller :D

A birthing center was never an option for me.

Perhaps the above is overstated a bit?

Every mother or baby death is a tragedy, but, really, mothers and babies are not dying in high percentages in hospital delivery rooms in this country.

Hospitals deal with many or most of the high risk pregnancies. Of course, there are more difficult outcomes with these than the home births which are considered low-risk.

FWIW, I had four babies in a hospital. Both of the hospitals I used were larger ones, and various OB/GYNs were always there. Had there been complications, they would have been handled immediately. As one of my OB's said, when things go bad in obstetrics, they go bad quickly. I always felt much safer in a hospital than at home.

Others feel much safer at home, though. That's fine, too. Different perspectives.

I would meet the midwife first before making your decision. I considered giving birth in a birthing center but upon my initial meeting with the midwife was a little put off. I'm sure she was a great midwife but she just rubbed me the wrong way. The birthing center was the only midwife option in my city so I ended up delivering in a hospital with a doctor. I had a great experience and had a no-meds birth. I did my research and decided that that hospital (which was 20 minutes away) was a lot more natural-birth friendly than the one less than five minutes away.

Another financial consideration I had was that if something went wrong and I was transfered to the hospital I would be billed by both the birthing center and the hospital. Since there wasn't a huge difference in what my insurance covered between the birthing center and the hospital I decided that finance-wise the hospital was for me -- I did realize though that there was more of a risk for interventions in a hospital which could cost more money as well.

Hospitals deal with many or most of the high risk pregnancies. Of course, there are more difficult outcomes with these than the home births which are considered low-risk.

Yes, BUT when you compare low risk moms and babies from planned and attended births in both settings, the mortality rates are the same and the injury rates are higher in the hospital. It makes no sense NOT to match populations. You cannot accurately compare without doing this. Also, it makes no sense to compare unplanned or unassisted home births to hospital births (one famous study included crazy things like taxi cab births and such--nowhere near what a planned and attended home birth is like).

Safety was WHY I even looked into home birth. My hospital birth was not safe. We came through relatively unscathed, but we were lucky. And my labor/birth was handled in a very, very typical manner.

I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into an argument with comments like "I love/care about my baby more, so I give birth in a hospital" (or vice versa). We all love our babies. We all want to give them safe births. "Safe" is relative to how you view the benefits and risks of the options available to you. :)

My first two births were in the hospital. I had no problems. Due to financing (a change in insurance) with my third we went to a birthing center with our doctor. Honestly, I didn't see much difference between it and the hospital. The same doctor delivered the fourth at the birthing center as well. My last two were born at the same birthing center with a midwife. At that point we had no maternity insurance at all, so financially, we needed to use the birthing center and midwife.

Honestly, if it weren't for financial considerations we would have delivered in a hospital. I think there is fewer risk of complications there. I was nervous going into each birth at the birthing center, scared that either the baby or I would die. But, everything worked out fine each time and we had four good experiences at the birthing center. My best birth was #5 at the birthing center. I would say to just go with your gut (and pray if you are the praying type). And congratulations on your baby!

I think that most hospitals have updated labor and delivery rooms. The one I used for my children had rooms that looked like beautiful hotel rooms. All equipment was hidden behind panels.

I had emergency deliveries with two of my children, and was so glad that that little red phone was there, and both my babies and I had top notch medical care, immediately. Both of those children are alive, and well, with no ill effects from their deliveries.

Personally I am more worried about a hospital causing something to go wrong than needing a hospital because something went wrong naturally.

Have you considered the risks of the hospital aside from unnecessary interventions such as nosocomial infection (you or your baby) and medical error? One of my best friends has spent her entire life in a wheelchair due to a nosocomial infection she contracted shortly after birth.

An additional plus is that the rates of postpartum depression are much lower in mothers who homebirth.

:iagree::iagree:

1 regular hossy birth, 1 med-free hossy birth, & 1 home water birth here. Water & at home all. the. way. Just walking into a hospital makes me tense up, lol. If you were, say, 30 min from a hospital, then I might worry. Just in case. But ten minutes? It would take several minutes just to prep the ER for you. Normally if there is an emergency the midwife calls the hospital so they prep for you while husband/doula/midwife/whomever drives you to the hossy, and then the hossy is ready when you get there. At least that's how the transfers I know of have happened.

I think that most hospitals have updated labor and delivery rooms. The one I used for my children had rooms that looked like beautiful hotel rooms. All equipment was hidden behind panels.

Wow, where are you, lol? Here they're standard, medical, plastic & metal & beeping monitor equipment-filled hospital rooms. Only the freestanding birth center rooms look like that here.

My feeling is that being at the birth center, monitored by a midwife, is much safer than laboring at home on your own then going to the hospital at the end. At home you have no way to check the heart rate. At the birth center they will be checking regularly. Doesn't that sound safer?

Also, the odds of complications are LESS for low risk women at a birth center, than in a hospital. I think part of that is they aren't using drugs that have risks, but a lot of it is that you have a midwife focused on you the whole time, allowing her to catch problems a LOT faster than if you were in a hospital where the nurse is just checking on you ever so often and your doctor isn't even in the building most of the time.

Perhaps the above is overstated a bit?

It is completely overstated. The US perinatal (baby just before, during and just after birth) mortality rate is right in line with those in Europe. The one single European country with a large percentage of homebirths, the Netherlands, has one of the highest European perinatal mortality rates and one that is higher than ours. They are now beginning to move away from homebirth for that reason. They have good research showing that their mortality rates for homebirth and hospital with a midwife are equal, but more recent research has shown that their low risk patients who are cared for by midwives have a higher perinatal mortality rate than the high risk patients cared for by OBs. They are definitely examining their system.

The studies comparing home and hospital birth are mixed and conflicting, but the evidence seems to be that home birth is probably about as safe as hospital birth, for low risk women. Many of the catastrophic events occur too rarely to show up in the studies, due to the low population of homebirthers.

There is always a very small, but real, risk of something going catastrophically wrong during delivery. So I do think that there is probably a slightly increased risk from an out of hospital birth, but for most women it is not an unreasonable risk IF they have competent medical providers, with established backup and good transport to hospital. Of course, you may not feel that way if you are the one the catastrophe happens to.

FWIW, I've had two hospital births, a birth at an accredited birth center with CNMs, a birth at an informal birth center with CPMs, and I'm going back to the hospital. My best experience was definitely with the CNMs. I started reading and looking at the whole of research, and both sides of the story, and I feel that the best option for me is in the hospital, although I know the "experience" won't be as nice. If there was a birth center run by CNMs in town, close by the hospital, I would feel comfortable choosing that.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. But I did want to explain that all accredited birth centers have fetal monitors, and home birth midwives do as well. I had a homebirth and my baby's heart rate was monitored every 15 minutes, according to the guidelines, and more often, after almost every contraction, during pushing.

I just didn't want people to think that birth center or homebirth means no monitoring. i think i had more in my home birth than my hospital birth.

I'm so so sorry for your loss. But I did want to explain that all accredited birth centers have fetal monitors, and home birth midwives do as well. I had a homebirth and my baby's heart rate was monitored every 15 minutes, according to the guidelines, and more often, after almost every contraction, during pushing.

I just didn't want people to think that birth center or homebirth means no monitoring. i think i had more in my home birth than my hospital birth.

:iagree:

My homebirth turned into a transfer with a c section, but I'm very happy I chose to attempt the homebirth. I trusted my midwife to keep us safe, and she did a wonderful job doing that. I would never have been able to push and labor the way I did had I been in the hospital. The no food policy would have made it impossible for me to push as long as I did (about 7 hrs, both baby and I were doing fine, no signs of distress). I believed I was safer at home than I was in the hospital, and the minute that belief changed, we headed out the door.

Birth is inherently risky. My mom had a close call while delivering my sister in the hospital, and the mistake which caused it would never had happened at home. Every birthing location carries with it different risks, and you need to decide which risks you want to accept.

I would meet with the midwife, pray about it (if that is something you do), and go through different scenarios.

If you decide to go to the hospital, you can usually refuse the IV and continual monitoring without all that much trouble. The nurses will likely give you a hard time and label you a "difficult" patient, but if you're anything like me, you're used to that. Getting a hep lock might be a good compromise. A doula might be useful in navigating the world of hospital policies.

Congratulations, and I hope you find peace with your decision.

I've only given birth in a hospital. The first time I was just 18 and had no idea what was going to happen, so the medical staff ran the show. Baby and I came through it well, but the experience left me wanting for something more and different with my other children.

My other three hospital births were each amazing and perfect. I was able to negotiate the terms of the labor/delivery, barring complications, well in advance of the big day. In three different hospitals I was required to wear an IV port in the back of my wrist, but at no time during my labors/deliveries was I actually connected to an IV bag. I was free to walk the hall and walk my room as I pleased. I was able to labor in various positions. I was able to stand in a warm shower and let the warm water soothe my lower back since my water had not yet broken. I was able to select my pushing position; I was never forced to lie on my back. I was under the care of a CNM each time and they were each consummate professionals who made me feel comfortable and cared for.

Immediately following my second delivery I began to bleed quite heavily. Luckily I did not require a transfusion, but it was close. I did require intravenous oxytocin and close monitoring. I had the same experience with my third and fourth deliveries. I was very glad to have been in a hospital at each of those moments, trust me.

Of course, you have to decide which scenario you are most comfortable with. There are risks and benefits associated with each decision. I prefer to deliver in a hospital under the care of a CNM.

My normal pregnancies in hospital were a fiasco (c-section, much tearing and suction cups, ugh). My normal pregnancies at home were wonderful. The hospital made my births more dangerous. I don't think a birth center is a bad place to go. It is kind of the best of both worlds, although I still prefer home birth.

I had my first baby at a birthing center with a CNM about a month ago. I was much more comfortable going there than going to a hospital. However, both my apartment and the birthing center were about a minute from a fire station (and the paramedics) and there were three hospitals within ten minutes of the birthing center. I also trusted that my CNM would quickly pick up on any possible complications and get me where I needed to be -- she had a LOT of experience, including hospital experience.

I really, really wanted to avoid the interventions common at hospitals, which is why I went to a birthing center, and I would feel comfortable doing so again -- provided that a hospital was close, just in case. I might even consider a homebirth (with a CNM) -- driving to the birthing center wasn't very fun.

I've only given birth in a hospital. The first time I was just 18 and had no idea what was going to happen, so the medical staff ran the show. Baby and I came through it well, but the experience left me wanting for something more and different with my other children.

My other three hospital births were each amazing and perfect. I was able to negotiate the terms of the labor/delivery, barring complications, well in advance of the big day. In three different hospitals I was required to wear an IV port in the back of my wrist, but at no time during my labors/deliveries was I actually connected to an IV bag. I was free to walk the hall and walk my room as I pleased. I was able to labor in various positions. I was able to stand in a warm shower and let the warm water soothe my lower back since my water had not yet broken. I was able to select my pushing position; I was never forced to lie on my back. I was under the care of a CNM each time and they were each consummate professionals who made me feel comfortable and cared for.

Immediately following my second delivery I began to bleed quite heavily. Luckily I did not require a transfusion, but it was close. I did require intravenous oxytocin and close monitoring. I had the same experience with my third and fourth deliveries. I was very glad to have been in a hospital at each of those moments, trust me.

Of course, you have to decide which scenario you are most comfortable with. There are risks and benefits associated with each decision. I prefer to deliver in a hospital under the care of a CNM.

Good points! And, just for the record, a midwife should have pitocin and oxygen at a homebirth. I've needed a bit of oxygen and so did baby after one birth (4 homebirths :001_wub: and I've always been 10 min. or less from the nearest hossy). I have a friend who also hemmorraged after birth and with pitocin and her midwife internally applying pressure to the source of bleeding (not pretty of comfortable to say the least) until safely at the hospital, all was well. She was not close to a hospital (about 45 min. away) and so choose to got a $50 airlife subscription for the last month of the preg. instead. So, yeah, she was airlifed to the hospital. ETA. she had her next baby at a birth center less than 10 min. from the hospital and it went wonderful with no hemmorgaing (sp!!)

Edited by JENinOR

I just wanted to say that birth centers and home birth midwives can give the same drugs to stop bleeding. They carry pitocin with them for just that purpose.

Wanted to add: my midwife (and the trainee midwife) at my birthing center monitored baby's heartbeat periodically throughout labor and pushing with the portable Doppler they used at all the appointments. Also, oxygen was there, and I think they may have given me a shot of pitocin after baby came, though I may be wrong on that -- my memory is rather fuzzy. :)

I have had:

Hospital/doctor

Hospital/midwife

Birth Center/midwife (x3)

Hospital/doctor (x2) - last one induced

First 5 were unmedicated, last 2 with epidurals.

Easiest births were #3, #5, and #6. Worst were #2 and #7. For me, obviously, location and medicated/unmedicated have nothing to do with it.

I *loved* my birth center births, but having to go home in 8-12 hours was *bad* for me. There is no such thing in my life as "go home and tuck yourself into bed with the baby." Never happens. The day after #5 was born, I missed the call from the midwife to do my home visit because I was outside helping dh build a pen for chicks that were ready to go outside.:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

I have had:

Hospital/doctor

Hospital/midwife

Birth Center/midwife (x3)

Hospital/doctor (x2) - last one induced

First 5 were unmedicated, last 2 with epidurals.

Easiest births were #3, #5, and #6. Worst were #2 and #7. For me, obviously, location and medicated/unmedicated have nothing to do with it.

I *loved* my birth center births, but having to go home in 8-12 hours was *bad* for me. There is no such thing in my life as "go home and tuck yourself into bed with the baby." Never happens. The day after #5 was born, I missed the call from the midwife to do my home visit because I was outside helping dh build a pen for chicks that were ready to go outside.:001_huh::tongue_smilie:

LOL, sounds like you need to give birth at a hotel with good room service and a spa! Or send the kids to a hotel, lol.

If there was a birth center run by CNMs in town, close by the hospital, I would feel comfortable choosing that.

The birthing center I'm considering is 1.5 miles away from the hospital. Actually Mapquest says its only 5 min away (10 min with traffic...but an ambulance wouldn't have that issue as much?).

Its run by Cert. Prof. Midwives.

I just wanted to say that birth centers and home birth midwives can give the same drugs to stop bleeding. They carry pitocin with them for just that purpose.

:iagree:

Yes, from the website of the birthing center I'm considering:

Q: What equipment do the midwives have at the birth center or bring to my home for the birth?

A: The equipment and supplies at every birth, whether at birth center or home, is listed below:

• sterile instruments for the birth and cutting the umbilical cord

• an oxygen tank and resuscitation bag/ masks for mother and newborn

• a suction device for removing mucus and other material from the baby's nose and mouth

• a Doppler for listening to the baby's heart rate during labor and pushing

• equipment to monitor mother’s vital signs during labor

• drugs for preventing or stopping the mother from bleeding too much after the birth

• IV equipment and fluids for rehydration of the mother, and if necessary, to administer antibiotics

• Vitamin K and eye ointment for the newborn

Edited by snipsnsnailsx5

All three of my children were born at the same birth center using midwives. I enjoyed the entire pregnancy using this midwifery practice. The personal care and the overwhelming confidence they have in the woman being able to give birth naturally gave me confidence. They allowed me to do whatever.was.necessary. :thumbup1:And the hospital, 3 minutes away, was the backup for emergencies. I'm so glad I made the decision not to give birth in a hospital because they immediately view you as "patient" and all those doctors and nurses need to get "involved" in the labor. No.Thank.You. But then again, I have a hospital phobia.;)

Wow, that is close. Honestly, you could be IN some hospitals and be further away from an operating room, lol. I'd have no qualms with that at all.

:iagree::iagree:

I don't know if they're using pitocin or not but they definitely have a treatment for bleeding & you should be fine being 1.5 miles away from a hossy if you need it! Wow. That's practically around the corner, lol. (My CPM had oxygen & a doppler but not pitocin per some law--only CNMs can have pitocin I think?--but she had several other medications with her to stop bleeding.)

LOL, sounds like you need to give birth at a hotel with good room service and a spa! Or send the kids to a hotel, lol.

That is an awesome idea!! For way less than a hospital birth dh could rent me a nice motel room for a couple of days after the baby and somebody could take them there to start when I go into labor at home. :D Not a problem here really as I'm not having any babies in the near future and dh takes good care of me after birth, but in case things ever change...

Can you elaborate, please? Some details would be greatly appreciated.

Do you really want to hear all the stories of things gone wrong, emergency c-sections, getting stuck with whatever doctor is in the hospital...? The OB and the Birth Center can give you info and statistics and then you have to decide. It's one of those hard, personal decisions. People feel strongly in both camps. :grouphug::grouphug:

I had one hospital birth. I disliked the fact that the nurses were the ones doing all the work, but didn't have time to stay with me forever and then had to switch shifts. I did get one nurse who was just remarkably amazing. My OB was out of town that weekend and the on call doctor whom I didn't even know came in two seconds before I pushed. She was a very nice lady and I much preferred her over my regular doctor. But I also disliked staying in the hospital for two days having to deal with all their policies.

My next two births were at home, with a tub. I also used the Hypnobabies course that Veritaserum linked to, in fact I think she was my instructor. My second labor was very much painless until pushing. I had labored in the tub, but gotten out to push. Pushing was 9 minutes of H-E-double hockey sticks. Stitching was also not pleasant (something to consider if you've torn with your previous babies).

My third labor was also at home, but I did end up with a water birth. Right before pushing I knew I could get out and it would be more painful but over quicker or I could stay in and it might take a little longer, but it wouldn't hurt as bad. I chose to stay in and let me just say, water birth is better. Chuck did need oxygen after she was born, whether this was because she was born in the water or because of something else, I really don't know. But it was a relief to me that my midwife had it. And I almost ended up with a pitocin shot because of blood loss, but it quickly died down before that so my midwife didn't feel like she needed to.

I prefer birthing at home because I don't want to have to travel in the car while in labor or shortly after having given birth. Obviously if there was an emergency I would have, but I am right across the street from the hospital, so I felt very safe where I was. There are pros and cons to each. Good luck with your pregnancy and with your labor.

I would always choose a birthing center if I were not doing a home birth. Birthing centers weren't available when my dc were born, and I had never known anyone who'd homebirthed. :-( But if I were having babies now, my first choice would be home birth, my second, a birthing center.

The odds in favor having to go to the hospital are at least the same as the odds that you'll end up with unnecessary intervention at the hospital, and those don't always end well; I'm sure you know the record hospitals have as far as complications and whatnot.

Do you really want to hear all the stories of things gone wrong, emergency c-sections, getting stuck with whatever doctor is in the hospital...? The OB and the Birth Center can give you info and statistics and then you have to decide. It's one of those hard, personal decisions. People feel strongly in both camps. :grouphug::grouphug:

:iagree: Generally if someone has a personal bad experience with one or the other it really strongly biases them one way or the other, despite what statistics exist on probable risk involved. I personally had a much more dangerous situation for my baby in my normal hospital birth than I did in my leave-me-the-heck-alone hospital birth with no IV/no constant monitoring hossy birth and even less with my homebirth. I know many tragic stories from other people about hospital births, birthing center births, home births, and unassisted births, but the stats in the larger studies of low-risk births (I am generally low risk) show the mortality rate is pretty much the same.

Yeah, really. I've heard many tragic hospital birth stories, too, some of which would have been avoided with a midwifery approach or if the birth had NOT been in a hospital. Like I said before, there are risks to BOTH options. You have to choose which risks are more acceptable.

And please, folks, let's use some tact here. :)

Thank you for your concern! Honesty, I have do so much research and heard so much that I don't think much could surprise me. I was asking mostly because I hear the scary stories, but often when I dig there's more to meets the eye. There can be neglect in the midwiferey and medical field for one thing. That's why I spent a lot of time asking questions of my caregivers before and during preg. to make SURE they were competent. I know a lot of homebirthers and midwives who also know lots of homebirthers and midwives and no one has lost a baby or mom, ever. I know that isn't always the case, though.

No way.

I know too many families that have had tragic outcomes. I would not take the risk.

Bill

Sadly, I've heard of too many families with tragic outcomes in hospitals too. Birth is not going to be risk-free at a hospital either. Statistics clearly show that there is the same risk, if not less, at a birthing center that you have at a hospital (of course many factors come into play).

Did the families you know with the tragic outcomes use birthing centers? And were the tragic outcomes directly related to the fact that they used a birthing center? Also, how far away was the birthing center from the hospital?

I'm just trying to gather all the facts and been-there-done-that stories before I make a decision. Thanks!

:grouphug:

This is a tough decision...and ultimately only one you and DH can make. There are so many things to consider and it is not a black and white simple answer. That said....here is my experience:

Ds1 - hospital birth/no meds (by choice). My OB decided that this weekend was a good one to get married, so I got a LOUSY on call dr. who made me fel horrible for interrupting her game of golf - no joke. Nurses forced me into an internal monitor on my baby's head ... not because of any concern, they were just getting tired of readjusting the monitor on my belly as I tried to labor on my back. The Dr. pushed me into an epis., made me feel incompetent and left a bad taste in my mouth. oh...and they gave ME two rounds of drugs....without telling me what it was or why.

Dd2 - hospital birth/no meds, but with my wonderful OB:001_wub:. I about walked out of triage when the nurses told me there was no way I could manage a drug free birth with the way I was screaming/crying about the "necessary" IV. They put it in wrong. I still have nerve damage in my hand 4 years later. But I loved my dr., so it was ok.

Dd3 - same as above. But getting tired of unnecessary interventions. Really tired.

Ds 4 - Homebirth. I looked into a birthing center and I DID NOT click with the midwives running it. I cannot stress how important it is to click with your midwife. Do you have the same expectations? Does she read your stress level well? What is her experience with complicated births? With this kiddo, my water broke at 6am. Slightly green, midwife came and checked, said we were ok. monitored me off and on. No contractions. But because of my water being broken, I had 24 hours to be in active labor before she had to take me to the hospital. At 8pm, she had to take herbs to jumpstart my contractions. It worked. My darling 10.5 pound son was out at 1:45 am. Had it been a hospital birth, they would have c-sec'ed me at 6 am....because of the little bit of green (which was because he was 12 freakin' days late!:glare:). But because I had an attentive midwife, who monitored me, and the baby, I was able to have him vaginally.

It was a really hard decision for me to have a homebirth. Everyone felt compelled to give me their horror stories and it made me feel like maybe I was a bad mom for considering it. But in the end, much like homeschooling, you have to PRAY, and then go with your gut, constantly reevaluating to make sure it still makes sense.

Wow. That got long. Sorry. I hope you come to a decision that you have peace about. I know it is hard. And either way - it doesn't mean you are a bad mom. ;)