Menu

We're only on chapter 2 but I'll go ahead and tell you about our Logic selection

We're loving it!

We looked at several of the things that are commonly recommended in homeschool circles but, to be honest, I found them mostly underwhelming.

Then we found one written by Lewis Carroll (of Alice fame) but, well, we had a hard time following it.

Finally we found Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery. We got both the student text (a printed off, staple bound book) and Teacher text (giant spiral bound). Two chapters in, remember, and we love it.

It's hard to find but so far, worth it. I'll keep you updated but honestly, so far so great.

In the first chapter we've joined Harry in his discovery of All Statements and No Statements and which ones can be reversed and why. We've practiced making both kinds, reversing both kinds, and evaluating the results. We thought about different kinds of thinking and what we use them for. We've discovered why knowing this is important and applies to us and why some things can be important even if they don't apply to us specifically.

This is a very cool resource (so far) and we have every hope that it will continue as great as it began. Two chapters in and we're smitten. As I said, though, I'll keep you updated (but you'll probably need to remind me).

This is where I found it. http://www.academybookstore.org/AngelicumStore/Detail.bok?no=872

I tried it completely blind. I've never seen it and couldn't find many reviews. I ordered it anyway b/c I like everything else I've seen on Angelicum's curriculum list.

Glad I did.

BTW, I looked all over for a used copy but no luck. I finally had to order new.

and the link above didn't work for me.

Harry Stottlemeier is part of a series of philosophy books that runs from K-12.

I'm not sure whether this link will work. The organization is called Institute for the Advancement of Philosophy for Children.

http://cehs.montclair.edu/academic/iapc/docs/Curriculum_Brochure.pdf

Can one buy it from Montclair? It's almost half the price it is at Angelicum.

It looks interesting. Is it secular? (fingers crossed)

Through chapter 2, yes, secular. However, my daughter, who has read almost the entire book :glare:, says that there are some references to the Bible but that it's far more secular than religious -- through chapter 10 of 14.

I haven't read that far yet.

I was just trying to figure out what to use for Logic for ds 11 next year and I think you've solved it for me! :001_smile:

I :001_wub: these boards!

ETA: Is it necessary to order the TM? Also, it seems to be availabe at Amazon?

Edited by ELaurie

There is a form on their website that you can use to place your order via email. I asked about the TM, and here is his reply:

The student novels are stimulus materials meant to expose them to some philosophical questions and ideas. If you are not familiar with philosophy then the manuals will be very useful (and useful even if you are familiar). They contain Exercises which are aimed at addressing specific thinking skills and Discussion Plans designed for conceptual exploration. They are a very nice resource and I think essential to what you are doing.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

There is a form on their website that you can use to place your order via email. I asked about the TM, and here is his reply:

The student novels are stimulus materials meant to expose them to some philosophical questions and ideas. If you are not familiar with philosophy then the manuals will be very useful (and useful even if you are familiar). They contain Exercises which are aimed at addressing specific thinking skills and Discussion Plans designed for conceptual exploration. They are a very nice resource and I think essential to what you are doing.

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Do you happen to have a link to this form? I can't seem to find it.

In the meantime, my library had both the student book AND the TM through interlibrary loan!!! I can't wait to take a look at this in person.

I really didn't want to use Fallacy Detective. Although it looks good, this looks much better. Thank you for mentioning this!!

Thanks, I found it. Looks like you can only place your order by snail mail.

I emailed Joe Oyler, and he sent an attachment that I could email. I don't have time to figure out how to post an attachment on the board right now, but I will try to do it later. You can also send me a PM and I will get back to you - probably best to include your email address, but I may be able to send an attachment later today via PM as well.

Here is Joe's email address - he responded promptly to my inquiry.

oylerj@mail.montclair.edu

ETA: Bonnie just sent me a PM and offered to post a link to the attachment - thank you Bonnie!

Edited by ELaurie

I emailed Joe Oyler, and he sent an attachment that I could email. I don't have time to figure out how to post an attachment on the board right now, but I will try to do it later.

The forum won't let me attach it (it's too big), so here is a link to it in Google Docs.

ETA: you should be able to save the original file to your computer, and when you open it, Adobe will let you fill it out and save it so that you can email it back to Joe Oyler.

Edited by bonniebeth4

After I read through the sample lesson, I ordered this book immediately. It arrived yesterday, and I'm already reading through it, thinking ahead about how to schedule Logic for next year. I love it when the UPS man pulls up in our driveway :tongue_smilie:

I think ds 11 and ds 8 (who will in 6th and 4th grades next year) will love this book! It's like LoF for Philosophy :001_smile:

Thank you so much for suggesting it!

MomofOneFunOne, I'm wondering if you have thoughts about how to schedule the lessons. They're too good to rush through; one option might be to just set aside a certain number of hours each week for Logic, and see how it goes. The other option would be to map it out on paper, then reevaluate as needed. Some of the lessons appear to be quite a bit longer than longer than others.

There are 4 books in the series for middle school and HS, the first is recommended for 5-6; the second for 7-8, the third for 9-10, and the last for 11-12, so I can easily spread them our over 6 years, which is another way to look at it.

Ideas?

There are 4 books in the series for middle school and HS, the first is recommended for 5-6; the second for 7-8, the third for 9-10, and the last for 11-12, so I can easily spread them our over 6 years, which is another way to look at it.

Ideas?

Interesting. Do you think one can skip directly to the 9-10th grade book? Or is it really beneficial to do the books that come first, even with older kids? I didn't see there were other books when I looked on the website.

Interesting. Do you think one can skip directly to the 9-10th grade book? Or is it really beneficial to do the books that come first, even with older kids? I didn't see there were other books when I looked on the website.

I don't know enough about the rest of the series to offer you any advice, but if you email Joe Oyler (his address is in one of my earlier posts) he can advise you. He was very responsive and helpful when I placed my order via email.

Edited by ELaurie

Regarding how to plan out the lessons, I haven't done that. I initially thought we'd do a chapter per week but it isnt' turning out that way either. Some of those lessons are real gems and we really linger over them. I might guess that it was designed to do one chapter over 2 wks. Some lessons, though, could be done one or two or even more per day. Sometimes it's a short lesson and sometimes it depends on the discussion it leads to.

I think we're going to shoot for one chapter per two weeks but feel that it will take less. However, we don't want to rush and feel that that will leave room for lingering over topics/exercises.

I think you may be suprised at what you find interesting in the TM. Doing word associations took us a long time b/c my girl had a lot of fun and we kept doing it over and over. We also took a few minutes each day to go back over the steps in the PoI so we have them memorized. Also, we review the chapter several times so we pick up things we may have missed or glossed over or, more often, didn't think would be important but turns out to be integral (vis a vis the exercitia).

So I think a couple of weeks per chapter to give plenty of space but I dont' really think it would take that long. Shorter could work but doesn't allow much lingering time if you have an arduous schedule.

I recieved the TM from the library today. I agree that this is a must have.

I asked the library how long I would be able to keep this out. Since it is "old" and the last time it was checked out was 4 years ago, they are going to allow me to keep it indefinitely, unless somebody requests it. YAY:D

The student book will be in soon. Maybe another week.

So, there are more books in this series by the same author?

I asked the library how long I would be able to keep this out. Since it is "old" and the last time it was checked out was 4 years ago, they are going to allow me to keep it indefinitely, unless somebody requests it. YAY:D

So, there are more books in this series by the same author?

That's great - maybe they'll decide to sell it at a used book sale :D

There are a 8 books in the series - it's designed for 1st through 12th grade. Here's a link.

those who have seen the TM - do you think it covers everything that should be included in an introductory Logic course?

I can't really answer that b/c, to be honest, I don't really know. I never had Logic as a student and I depend upon what I hear from reviews to let me know on this topic. I didn't see any review or not many so I just went blind.

It is full of good material. It's so thought provoking and interesting to me. My daughter also finds it interesting and our discussions show that.

I wish you could get a TOC . . . I wonder if I could scan it. I mean, I know I could scan it but would that break a copyright if I posted it? and could I post it? I'm not sure I know how.

If you don't think it would infringe on their intellectual capital, b/c law or not I personally value the authors' right, I would consider scanning it and if someone knew how to post it, I'd try that. Under the circumstances, I think it would only benefit the author if it stimulated interest and possibly sales.

What do you think?

From what I gathered scanning this thread, the cheapest TM is to order from the company for $50?

Cheapest I've found too. Just sent an email to Montclair asking about purchasing it (got the student text off of Amazon). I'm thinking they must think it odd to suddenly have a run on this TM... :tongue_smilie:

I just received my TM today (from Amazon marketplace, the 1984 edition, probably the last one and only a few bucks cheaper). It's 3 cm thick and spiral-bound. Just to give you all an idea, Chapter 1 is twenty pages, containing 10 "Leading Ideas" with exercises and discussion plans. A few of the exercises look like things that could be photocopied and used as workbook pages, or answers could be written on a separate sheet. There are answers at the end of the chapter.

This is going to be fun!! (I hope dd agrees)

I wish you could get a TOC

QUOTE]

I actually have it - I ordered it last week, and it arrived on Friday. I spent the weekend reading about Harry and Co. :tongue_smilie:

I think it looks great, but since I have no experience with Logic, I was wonderign how the contents compare to a typical Introductory Logic text.

• 1 month later...
If you go to Eric you can search by the author's name (Lipman, Matthew) and you can get the teacher's manual and the book for FREE as a PDF.

There are a couple other books by the same author. For example, the next book in the series, "Lisa" is also available as a PDF but not the TM.

http://www.eric.ed.gov/

I found the student book, but the only teacher's manual I can find related to it is Teaching Children Philosophical Thinking: An Introduction to the Teacher's Manual for "Harry Stottlemeier's Discovery." The abstract says that a teacher's manual is forthcoming. The file is only 26 pages, while the book (on Amazon) is over 400 pages. Am I missing it?