Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Melissa in Australia

Nuclear Reactor melt down Japan

Sanity is exciting, isn't it? I think it's 'cause it's so rare, especially in the media. :glare:

;) Sanity doesn't play well in soundbites/headlines. There's no revenue.

fire has started out again in reactor 4 http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/9018929/fire-at-japan-nuclear-reactor-heightens-radiation-threat/.

the problem with the cooling pond for spent uranium is that it is positioned right above the reactor, so the explosion may have damaged it. The spent uranium was on fire yesterday, and the fire was put out. I heard a interview with an nuclear physicist ( Australian working in Singapore) and he stated that though the reactors were contained, and "safe" the spent uranium cooling ponds are not contained.

Apparently most of the workers have been pulled out of the power plant, and they are now using helicopters to try to dump water into the reactors.

Can you explain why, in terms of physics and the effects of the natural disaster?

I just wanted to reiterate that I said I didn't believe they had it under control and it's obvious by the chain of events that it is still not under control. There have been many unexpected events with this whole situation....which was my point from the beginning. I don't proclaim to be a nuclear physicist.....I'm just using common sense.

No doubt, this is a serious situation, but go to the most recent link. It will explain some of what you're hearing, but in a way that is factual and not based on fearful headlines.

One thing to keep in mind is that they were able to shut down the reactors, which is what happened at TMI, but not at Chernobyl. (The article discusses this). That is the critical piece of information.

I just wanted to reiterate that I said I didn't believe they had it under control and it's obvious by the chain of events that it is still not under control. There have been many unexpected events with this whole situation....which was my point from the beginning. I don't proclaim to be a nuclear physicist.....I'm just using common sense.

"NRC chairman Gregory Jaczko told US legislators that if America was facing a similar situation, it would order a much larger evacuation zone than Japan has (20km), and so the US has called on Americans within 50 miles (80 kilometres) of the Japan nuclear plant area to leave."

So much for everything being under control!!! :(

what does uranium exposed to air do? for those of us who dont know nuclear science what does this mean? for the residents? for those across the sea? if we dont want to jump on the media bandwagon... could someone explain it to us? :) (sincere ??)

what does uranium exposed to air do? for those of us who dont know nuclear science what does this mean? for the residents? for those across the sea? if we dont want to jump on the media bandwagon... could someone explain it to us? :) (sincere ??)

Depleted Uranium in a nuclear facility is still hot and if not kept under water it heats up and catches on fire. when it burns it releases many elements, some of these elements are very radioactive but very short lived, causing spikes in radioactivity that quickly dissipate ( in minutes) and won't affect areas away from the plant. Others like the "radioactive isotope caesium-137 has a half-life of about 30 years" ( wicapediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesium) ,

they can enter the food chain etc.

Here is a very interesting article that explains what may happen in the worst case scenario. http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/world/9023975/analysis-worst-case-nuclear-cloud-seen-limited-to-japan/

Bassically it says that in the worst case scenario, the area around the plant will become contaminated and not fit for living in for many years. Other countries will not be affected at all.

the plant is designed for a meltdown. (at least 2 of them...) Now just pray that the containing vessel is still intact and not destroyed by the quake

Actually, number 3/4 are the later design with containment. But just read the news, the containment is destroyed...

Anyone concerned about hot particles that have been found in Seattle?

Well, I am concerned for you in the States. I am probably in the safest place.

I didn't put this up before...not sure it can help you much. Nor can I confirm its validity.

BTW, this link is deliberately blocked on Facebook. Facebook doesn't want you to know this.

theintelhub.com/2011/06/17/nuclear-doom-hot-particles-slow-death-and-cancer/