Menu

Please tell me about Sonlight LA

plansrme

I picked up a Sonlight catalog this weekend and realized that, apparently, one can use Sonlight for LA only. I had no idea until well after I'd left the curriculum fair where I could have previewed the IGs. The sample on the website was (a) hard to find, and (b) didn't show much, so I can't tell much about what their LA includes. Can some of you who have used their LA let me know what you think?

I'm looking at this for my rising third grader. I am looking for something that focuses on comprehension and has a set weekly schedule. She uses and will continue to use, until the end of time, R&S grammar, rather than the grammar scheduled with it, but we would probably use the Wordly Wise vocabulary. I guess I am hesitating only because language arts are not at all intuitive to this child.

Thanks for any insights,

Terri

DS (10yo then) used the new 2007 Reading with Longer Chapter Books (level 2 advanced readers). We were not using a SL core at the time. It was very gentle and he did well with it. He did use Wordly Wise along with it. The grammar in this new LA version is very light so adding grammar is a good idea. LA is not intuitive for my ds either. :)

The comprehension activities consist of just occasional ideas for discussing the readers. When I was making the decision, I was able to print out the Schedule for Topics and Skills for each LA level. This would give you a better idea of what is covered than just the samples. Since the site changed I can't seem to find that link anymore. Maybe you could ask on the Sonlight Choosing Forum?

I'm glad we used it this past year, but we'll be switching to LLATL next year. It looks as gentle as SL, but more comprehensive.

HTH just a little!

My son had a huge difficulty with all the creative writing assignments. We did LA 2. Each day has a copywork piece, a short grammar lesson/review and then an assignment that builds up to the last day, which is a writing assignment. My son has a hard time writing, period. So to sit him down and ask him to write has been like pulling teeth! The LA didn't even go into sentence structure, breaking the actual process down, and THAT'S what he needs. We are going to use something else for LA this fall, not sure yet.

I do love Sonlights readers and the history and read alouds. Core 3 integrates the readers, history AND LA assignements so they are all linked. I've heard from friends this is a HUGE improvement from earlier cores/LA and their kids did much better. Just what I heard.

Good luck!

Julia

I was looking on Sonlight's site at the Core 3 LA samples and the copywork does NOT always coordinate with the readers. They said that because at that level it was too hard to coordinate LA with regular readers, advanced readers, the 4 day schedule, and the 5 day schedule so they used famous quotes and bible verses instead. Just a heads up.

We were trying to use LA 2 Regular this year and had a hard time sticking to the schedule. DS read through the books way too fast and I felt the sentences chosen for copywork weren't that worthwhile. I think I'm going to return it as it's still under their guarantee and stick with FFL or switch to LLATL.

I would take a look at LLATL - the orange book. It says fourth grade skills but I really think it's more at a 3rd grade level.

I like the idea behind this and used some of the writing assignments. I think they are onto something here, but it isn't quite perfected in that it really could use more grammar and writing instruction. However, they do tell you to purchase the Writer's Inc. book with their LA's program and I think they expect you to get the needed instruction from there.

I have also used LLATL. For the age of your dc, I agree about the LLATL orange book. Each day is planned out and scripted. Give it a look.

My first suggestion is to go to the Sonlight Forums and pose this question on the choosing forum, but I'll give you my take on it anyway :001_smile:.

I have gotten SL LA for K this year, used it for about 6 wks and dropped it. Found that I could teach what they were teaching with something less expensive and more comprehensive. For next year I am giving it a try again and have gotten LA 3 (which goes with the 2 intermediate readers), LA 1, and LA for Core 3 (different than the above LA 3.

I definitely like the LA 1 much better than the K LA. In fact I could have easily started with this and my ds would have been fine. The LA 3 is very advanced in my opinion and we may have to slow it down for my ds, but I like the flow of it much better than the older versions of the SL LA. The biggest gripe was that they skipped around too much and there was no rhyme or reason to them.

LLATL is somewhat like SL LA, but I would say it's a bit easier to follow each day. Now, SL does have a schedule and you don't have to do everything, but it's a plus for people like me who need something to follow and keep on track each day.

We are in our 4th year of doing SL. We LOVE Sonlight!!! I was thinking of taking a year off and doing a combined year later and my son had a fit! He wants to keep on going and do EACH year!

Now regarding LA.... LOVED the older version, dictation, lots of grammar, sentence analyzing, writing assignments and so on. HATE the new SL LA!! We sent it back and got a refund after about 16 weeks. I mised the grammar and didn't like the new writing! It didn't seem so hot like they said it would be. We liked the old activity sheets. I looked at Shurley Grammar and decided against it. (Btw, my dad is a retired English teacher and he had a cow over SHurley Grammar! Thought it was terrible! I was very surprised becuase it looked good to me.) Anyway, I (being the queen of used curriculum and where to shop) purchased all the SL LA older versions I needed so I wouldn't have to use the new. We are now happily moving along with our older version and will be for the next 2 more years. :) Now, I might also add I also couldn't stand Grammar Ace. Busy work imo. Maybe it is ok if you aren't strong in grammar, but if you've been doing SL LA in the past then one would be strong in grammar and not need this! lol! Soooo, I am highly opinionated on the SL LA subject! Oh, and finally I would say that I have also strayed from SL regarding the writing. Several friends told me to check out IEW, I ignored them until I couldn't stand it any longer and then took a peek at it. Holy canolie batman! It is FANTASTIC! Now we LOVE IEW!!!!!! It has SAVED us! I thought SL was good but hey, IEW is GREAT!!!!!! Soooo, I still LOVE SL but we are expanding our horizons a bit! Rochelle