Menu

Earth Science the WTM way. CPO?

So, as I posted on the 'strict WTM' thread, I tend to follow the book in method fairly closely. I do it because it works for my kids. I don't think it is the only good method by any means.

So, science....

My son is a 5th grader and, I think, a great student. He has only been homeschooled. This is his second trip around the history cycle.

Biology this year has been really fun. I used the biology curriculum from Guest Hollow to organize myself. I am secular so I diverged from some of what she suggested. It has been experiment heavy and that is what my son likes.

It is also what is suggested in WTM. She says that the logic years should be spend with lots of hands on. They should "learn how think critically about doing science." She suggests the method should be one of "doing an experiment, recording the results and then by reading and writing more about his discovery."

For 6th grade she suggests spiting the year between earth and space. She wants the student to have two 90 min sessions spent on science. In the first, the student does as many experiments, with recording and sketching, as will fit in 90 mins. In the second session of the week, the student picks a topic related to an experiment and writes and writes a short report.

Has anyone here done a year of earth science this way? I sort of had it in my head that I would be using CPO science but now I am wondering if it is too much reading and not enough hands on? Maybe it can be switched around a bit to make it more WTM?

Maybe it would be best to just get a bunch of kits and some good science books?

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. I just know that my kid does better when I follow the classical method.

Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated. About what, I am not sure.

:bigear:

I have the 2nd edition of WTM where SWB recommends using the Reader's Digest How Science Works series for Logic Stage. I know some people here have used it and like it, but it doesn't seem particularly full of experiments to me. So I'm all ears on this one :)

We do not follow the WTM method of science. Using CPO Earth every day, dd11 does one or two labs per week (depends on the length of the chapter), each taking at least an hour. We do other hands-on activites on the non-lab days. I find most of the activities in the TM and others I'm already familiar with.

We do not follow the WTM method of science. Using CPO Earth every day, dd11 does one or two labs per week (depends on the length of the chapter), each taking at least an hour. We do other hands-on activites on the non-lab days. I find most of the activities in the TM and others I'm already familiar with.

So you do science every day?

If you get some time ( :lol:...I am sure you have so much to spare ) it would be interesting to get a snapshot of what a week looks like.

Do you get through a chapter in a week? I generally manage science twice a week with one hands on session and one reading and writing. Except the weeks we don't.

Here are this week and the past week, all of Chapter 9: Earth & Time and part of Chapter 10: Introducing Earth:

Monday

Investigation 9A: Sedimentary Rocks and Relative Dating

Tuesday

section 9.1: read and discuss, answer review questions orally

looked at samples from our rock collections and broke out the rock field guides

Wednesday

geology of the Grand Canyon using a book we purchased while at GCNP and the "In the Canyon" website linked through nps.gov (I posted about this on the main k-8 forum)

Thursday

Investigation 9B: Time and Tree Rings

Friday

section 9.2: read and discuss, answer review questions orally

Monday

Read and discuss Chapter Connection: It's All in the Rings (each chapter features a scientist or an activity related to the chapter)

Complete Chapter Activity on relative and absolute dating

Tuesday

chapter 9 assessment (part done orally, part written)

Wednesday

Investigation 10A: All Cracked Up (modeling the earth using balls, fruit and a boiled egg)

Watch Bill Nye 'Earth's Crust'

Explore Mt St Helen's information on nationalgeographic.com

Thursday

Read and discuss section 10.1 Sensing Earth's Interior, answer review questions orally

Friday

Spent the day looking at earthquake and tsunami information online, in light of current events. (We would have done section 10.2 instead.)

We do science every day because (1) it's fun and (2) I believe that kids will enjoy/recognize/respect science in their everyday life if they are exposed to science on a regular basis :D Dd11 only had science 3x per week at her former school and wanted to do much more at home, so we are.