Menu

How necessary is a vocabulary program at the high school level?

I've been going back and forth on this issue. We are studying Latin so the latin-based words are no problem. My kids are readers so they are picking up at least the general meanings of unfamiliar words from context.

Is that enough? I don't want to "ruin" their SAT scores but I also don't want to spend unnecessary time doing busy work. Any thoughts?

Oldest ds did not do a formal vocabulary program, although he did skim through Vocabulary Cartoons I and II. He did read quite a bit of challenging literature through high school; vocabulary was addressed in that context. As far as his SAT scores, his CR was almost perfect, so not using a formal vocabulary program didn't hurt him at all. I should add that he did complete some SAT prep using Rocket Revolution Review.

I may choose to add vocabulary to my middle ds's studies, as he is not an accomplished reader like his big bro.

hth

My kids read a lot of strong literature and always have for yrs. Their vocab test scores increased on yearly tests when we added a vocab program. I will say that, We don't speak with a large vocabulary in general at our house, and I think in most books they have a tendency to skim over a word they don't know then ponder it and try to figure out the meaning.

So, vocab programs work for us.

We aren't doing an organized vocabulary program this year, mostly because I had trouble getting the books. I like vocabulary programs because it's one thing to know what a word means, it's quite another to be able to use it in context and in a well-written sentence. I like the practice that these programs require.

But what I wanted to mention is that dictionary.com has a "daily word" email that they send out that is pretty good. Some of the other places that do that use such simple, everyday words that it's a waste of time. But dictionary.com sends out some pretty good ones -- most of them words that you might not come across in general reading. It only takes five minutes to discuss it and move on.

I've been going back and forth on this issue. We are studying Latin so the latin-based words are no problem. My kids are readers so they are picking up at least the general meanings of unfamiliar words from context.

Is that enough? I don't want to "ruin" their SAT scores but I also don't want to spend unnecessary time doing busy work. Any thoughts?

When my son took the ITBS in 7th and 8th, his highest score was vocabulary, followed by reading. He is an avid reader who also studies Latin. But he also does a unit in Vocabulary from Classical Roots about every other week because he enjoys it.

One of the things that I have found is that my son knows the meaning of words, but not necessarily the proper usage. VFCR helps with this. He usually knows most if not all of the words in a lesson. But VFCR gives him the chance to write a sentence using "sycophant" or provides an alternate definition for "animus" that he may not have encountered previously.

Some parents and kids find VFCR to be dry, but my son really likes the books. It is too bad that he is about finished with the series.

Jane