Menu

Current Events...hmmmmm....

I'm thinking about doing a combo of history and literature for my 12th grader next year over current events/topics in the news/etc.

So I was thinking about a weekly magazine. Of course, Newsweek and Times came into mind, but does anyone know of a magazine especially aimed at high schoolers that would work?

Next, I would like a history spine that would allow us to check into the historical basis leading up to the modern event. Any titles out there?

Finally, I'd like to have some literature (fiction & nonfiction) that would go along also.

Now, wouldn't it be great if one of you knows a curriculum that does all that for me! But if not, any leads would be helpful!

Thanks,

Myra

1. Thanks for the Link - it's given me several options for a weekly magazine and/or news source.

2. Next, I would like a history spine that would tie in current events with the historical basis leading up to the modern event. Any titles out there?

3. Finally, I'd like to have some literature (fiction & nonfiction) that would go along also.

Thanks,

Myra

I think the question about a history spine for current events is a very difficult one - because current events are, well, current, so nobody knows in advance which areas and countries one will need to focus on. So I think any comprehensive world history text would contain the information and you'd have to read up on the area in question.

My DD (and our whole family) reads the Economist for current events. The scope of coverage, the depth of the articles and the amount of background far surpasses Times and Newsweek. (The drawback is that the articles are "denser" and somewhat harder to read). You might want to have a look at this magazine at your local library. There are often articles about the historical backgrounds leading up to certain events which we find very helpful.

Literature suggestion: I think those, too, would vary every week, so it is hard to give specific suggestions. Last week one would have had to find books about Libyan tribal history- the coming week, we will have to find literature about tsunamis, earthquake safe architecture and nuclear energy. Who knows what's after that...