Menu

Go back to bed, ya'll!

So I'm happily downloading reading books from the Reading a-z website (their one-day free access thing), when suddenly we hit 6 am New York time and it all slooowwwwsssss waaaaayyyyyy doooooowwwwwwn.

Go back to bed until I'm finished, please!

:lol:

No probem. Night all! :D

Not audio... graded readers, fiction and non-fiction, KG-6, and many have French or Spanish versions.. free access is for today only:

readinga-z.com

According to another poster (Laurie4b) on the Special Needs site, RAZ has their website open all week, but each day offers access to a different area. Here's the post there.

I'm hoping I can gain access at some point, but as a mostly dial-up user, I'm not holding my breath. OTOH, I wonder if I could do this on the high speed connection at our library and download to a cd which I could print from at home? I'm so "not savvy" about this sort of thing.

I saw that about the different sites, but I'm mainly interested in readers, especially for my emergent reader, so looked like days 1 and 2 were the most useful for me.. if I remember, lol, I'll try out the other days just to see what's there -- more convenient for me since I can check when I first get up and about, which is generally around midnight in the US.

I did notice on one listing that they are adding a science website to be accessible on the 12th? Don't know what all that involves, though.

Edited to add:

Oh, and about doing it at the library, it would probably depend how much you were looking to try and download and how long you had, lol.. things went very smoothly for me in the morning, but when I checked back for a couple extra titles later in the day, it was mighty slow...

I saw that about the different sites, but I'm mainly interested in readers, especially for my emergent reader, so looked like days 1 and 2 were the most useful for me.. if I remember, lol, I'll try out the other days just to see what's there -- more convenient for me since I can check when I first get up and about, which is generally around midnight in the US.

I did notice on one listing that they are adding a science website to be accessible on the 12th? Don't know what all that involves, though.

Edited to add:

Oh, and about doing it at the library, it would probably depend how much you were looking to try and download and how long you had, lol.. things went very smoothly for me in the morning, but when I checked back for a couple extra titles later in the day, it was mighty slow...

I'm on the site now. Under the first day's offerings, I see some Guided Reading samples for various levels, looks like one book for each level plus a couple Spanish and French readers for higher levels. For my child (an older, struggling reader), I one book that will be below her level (I think), and two or three that will be above. Not that those won't be useful... I just want to be sure that I'm not missing some larger source of materials on the site.

ETA: As it were..now I can't get the site to load at all, or the book I was downloading. Sigh. Go back to bed indeed! :-)

Thanks!

Under the first day's offerings, I see some Guided Reading samples for various levels, looks like one book for each level plus a couple Spanish and French readers for higher levels.

I think that's their "regular" access.. I mean, normally, apparently, you can see several samples. Where I was earlier there were, like, 20-odd books for each level (A through Z), and each book you clicked on generally had options for French and/or Spanish.

But if you're having trouble even with the one you clicked on, it wouldn't be helpful to have a whole list of them, would it? :(

I think that's their "regular" access.. I mean, normally, apparently, you can see several samples. Where I was earlier there were, like, 20-odd books for each level (A through Z), and each book you clicked on generally had options for French and/or Spanish.

But if you're having trouble even with the one you clicked on, it wouldn't be helpful to have a whole list of them, would it? :(

I took a break from messing around there and now find that I have a whole new world opening up. On the previous attempt, I never got to the sign-on page, and while I could see the list of books, I couldn't access them without a login name. Now I can. Oh, dear, this could be a big time eater! So, I have until 12 tonight, right? Go to bed Kate...I need the internet all to myself. :D

Even though for the first time I've been able to do the downloads with a fast internet connection - yay!!!, the Free Download Manager program has made downloading the books so much easier for me. It queues the downloads and will resume a download after a broken connection (which still happens here quite frequently).

I have to say thanks for posting this. I haven't heard about the free downloads from this site, and I have been downloading lots of Spanish titles for my kids to translate. (and the English version so I will know if they are getting it correct!)

LauraD in MN