Menu

Karen and anyone with family in Japan...

Nan in Mass

My son emailed right after it happened that he was okay. He didn't tell me if he was at home, at work or at school. I'm waiting for morning in Japan and hoping to hear more from him. I keep checking for news about his ward (Nerima) while trying to avoid seeing those pictures and videos.

My son emailed right after it happened that he was okay. He didn't tell me if he was at home, at work or at school. I'm waiting for morning in Japan and hoping to hear more from him. I keep checking for news about his ward (Nerima) while trying to avoid seeing those pictures and videos.

Karen, I hope it makes you feel better to know that those pictures and videos are from the Sendai area (250 miles north of where your son is) and from Kessenuma (the tsunami - 310 miles north of where your son is). I know it is hard not knowing. I grew up in Sendai and am still waiting to hear from friends. :grouphug:

Jean,

:grouphug:

It is hard. I hope you hear from the people you're waiting for soon.

They had a 7.something Wednesday which Tony didn't even feel, but this one he said was bad. I got a report from his school which is a couple of blocks from the Tokyo Tower that the buildings were confirmed safe and that they had no reports of injuries from the students.

He's been there for three years, and this is the first time I've been truly afraid for him - at least after I got over the initial fear of him being there.

Karen - I am relieved about your son.

Oh Jean - I am so sorry. I hope you hear from people soon.

My son, who was just in Japan, won't talk about it. I think he's trying not to think about the people he was just with. We're pretty sure Narita temple is ok, since there are now some flights out of Narita airport and the two are next to each other.

Heartbreaking.

-Nan

Thank you. We still haven't heard anything but we probably won't for days. 70,000 people are still in shelters according to one website so getting hold of people is not easy. We also know that while we are terribly concerned, we are not on their priority list right now as they try to figure out basic survival. I do not have any family there any more but we know 100's of people because my dad founded 1 seminary and 3 churches right in Sendai, with many of the people still close to us.

I was thinking of your son today, glad to hear he is all right.

Karen, I hope it makes you feel better to know that those pictures and videos are from the Sendai area (250 miles north of where your son is) and from Kessenuma (the tsunami - 310 miles north of where your son is). I know it is hard not knowing. I grew up in Sendai and am still waiting to hear from friends. :grouphug:

((Jean)):grouphug: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends.

Thank you. We still haven't heard anything but we probably won't for days. 70,000 people are still in shelters according to one website so getting hold of people is not easy. We also know that while we are terribly concerned, we are not on their priority list right now as they try to figure out basic survival. I do not have any family there any more but we know 100's of people because my dad founded 1 seminary and 3 churches right in Sendai, with many of the people still close to us.

Oh Jean, I so hope everyone is all right. :grouphug::grouphug:

I lived for a bit in Yamada-machi, which is north of Sendai, and still have friends there and in Miyako. It is such a catastrophe. I can't stop watching the videos of the water and looking at photos of the aftermath, even though I really should. Like you, though, I can't imagine we'll hear from anyone any time soon.

Oh Jean, I so hope everyone is all right. :grouphug::grouphug:

I lived for a bit in Yamada-machi, which is north of Sendai, and still have friends there and in Miyako. It is such a catastrophe. I can't stop watching the videos of the water and looking at photos of the aftermath, even though I really should. Like you, though, I can't imagine we'll hear from anyone any time soon.

I updated on the general board but I did hear from one pastor in Sendai. He and his family are fine. He located 4 people in his congregation but is still trying to locate others. He still has not been able to locate other pastors to find out if they know anything about their congregations too. One of our churches was right in the way of the tsunami and he's very worried that he was not heard any news of any of that group of people. I'm hoping that we will hear more from him. He said that people are waiting in lines for 2 -3 hours just for water. Gas stations are closed due to no electricity and cars are often abandoned in the street.

Ladies,

Are they evacuating non-Japanese (like US students & military dependents) from the country now? With the strain on the resources not to mention the nuclear reactor stuff, seems like they'd want everyone who had somewhere else to go to get there.