Menu

When is it time to get a knee injury checked out?

I whipped a loaded cart around in WM and twisted the tendon or muscle behind the right side of my left knee, although dh will say I did it running. It actually doesn't hurt but has an annoying ache. I've slowed my running and redid my routine to add more consistent weight and core exercises. It feels weak I guess is a good way to describe it, when I do a stair climbing motion and feels like it "gets caught" and I have to be careful doing things like getting in and out of the car. I am very careful how I do things because I am afraid to not be able to exercise at all, does this make sense? DR appt necessary, take more rest days from exercise? Anyother suggestions or opinions

I am not a doctor of course! LOL! About 5 years ago, my knee began hurting and I couldn't even pinpoint exactly what I had done to it. Although I finally decided later that it may have been when I was doing lunges in my backyard while carrying a 2yo on my back. I think I turned and my foot was planted and I twisted my knee. Anyways, I ignored it for about 6 months and it seemed to get worse. Then I saw an orthopedic dr. and had an MRI. I found out that I'd torn my miniscus (sp?) which is basically cartilage around the knee. They aren't able to heal by themselves. I let it go another 4 months then it started hurting worse (to the point that I couldn't sleep) after I danced the night away at my brother's wedding. I finally had the surgery and it got better after physical therapy. My husband tore his 2 years ago so badly that he couldn't put weight on it. In his case, the cartilage was stuck in the joint and preventing him from even straightening his leg.

The "getting caught" feeling you're having could be the miniscus. My orthopedic dr. described it as a round rubber band like piece that when it is torn it flops around and gets stuck which causes the pain. Mine at first was a small tear which is why I was able to function for so long. Although I couldn't squat on that leg for almost a year. It's a pretty common injury. If I were you I'd visit a doctor and see what he/she says about it. HTHs!! And be careful working out until you know either way. :)

If you do, just go get it looked at. Most likely you'll have an x-ray first, then you'll come back for the mri when they don't find anything on the x-ray. You know, red tape. Seriously though, I've had knee problems all my life and when you're active, you need to know what not to do. Resting is good to a point but if wasting your time with a dr's appt. is all you're worried about, let it go and just get it checked out. The least will be you'll get some idea of how to treat it for a while, the most will be you get it taken care of!:D

So important to check out a knee injury. I damaged mine in a freak accident while in early-20's and has been problematic since. Over two decades it has gotten better due to exercise to strengthen area around it, but would've been beneficial for orthoped to look instead of ER doc w/ little experience.

When I broke my elbow playing soccer, I immediately went to the orthoped.

Hope you feel better soon. Take care of your body and exercise gently until you're confident with your knee's limitations.

Dh hurt his knee playing soccer a couple years back. We kind of pooh pooh-ed the discomfort he was feeling. Eventually he decided to have it checked and turns out he tore a tendon. Permanent damage (unless surgically fixed), and we didn't even think that much of it when it happened!

If you have the insurance, I'd go have it checked. One thing I'm trying not to take for granted as I get older is my ability to walk and get around on my own -- don't want to mess with that!

jmo

Kate

Another vote for going in now. I did something to my knee running a bit ago. I waited a couple weeks when I had an appointment anyway. My doc was able to move the knee around and feel all the ligaments and tendons. I did something to make a ligament angry. My doc recommended ice (20 min on, 20 off), rest, and compression. If it didn't improve in 2 weeks, I needed to go to the orthopedic surgeon for more tests.

That was 1 1/2 weeks ago. I'm back to walking again, so I think it's getting better.

I know how hard it is to deal with a knee injury! I hope it's better soon!

My dh had an ache in his hip, not actually "pain". He finally go it checked out and discovered he had damaged the cartilage on top of his femur playing tennis. He didn't even know that he had hurt it at the time. He wound up needing arthroscopic surgery to repair it.

I'd say don't delay too long in getting it checked out, just so you don't do further damage to the joint.

Best wishes to you,

Cindy