Menu

Use them if they help, invertebrates lessons

I finished our 12 weeks of invertebrates lessons, here's the direct link

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/05/invertebrates-lessons.html

I'm sharing them in case they help someone else who wants to use living books in science yet keep it scientifically sound and fun for the kids. There are a few things I still need to add like assigning worksheets from a reproducible book that I just purchased, finish aligning a few online links that Nestof3 just shared this week and Rose's fun science masks link which I'll add this coming week after I take a break from working on it. There are hands-on experiments/activities from Carolina Biology and Home Training Tools. Some of them are obvious like when studying ants have an ant farm.

The format allows you to substitute books easily if you wish because it is based on classification, you could also make the level of academics simpler or harder quite easily depending on your resources.

Although it would be nice to get your opinions, I do not desire a pat on the back for them. I look to this board to help me refine my ideas and you've been such a blessing to me and our efforts that sharing these is really no big deal, the lessons are a reflection of your influence and encouragement so to that end, thank you.

Although it would be nice to get your opinions, I do not desire a pat on the back for them. I look to this board to help me refine my ideas and you've been such a blessing to me and our efforts that sharing these is really no big deal, the lessons are a reflection of your influence and encouragement so to that end, thank you.

My opinion...my opinion is that you are generous to share the work and time you put into these. These boards and the ladies on them are fantastic, I agree with you about them being a blessing. So I guess if you don't want a pat on the back...how about just a simple "thank you"? :001_smile:

Thank you so much for sharing your plan with us!

If you don't mind I have a question about the spine Animal: The Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife. I am so excited to learn about this resource! I notice it comes in both Hardcover & Paperback. Since it is such a large book I wondered if you might give your thoughts on which would be the best choice.

Bless you for your generosity & kindness.

Buy the hardcover if you can, I've used my paperback so much the bottom front corner is curling a little. It is such a beautiful and useful book. I didn't know it came in hardcover until just last week when I realized the book might not survive us, lol. If you get the paperback you may want to put some type of protective covering on the covers, I'm waiting until we move to look further into this.

Of course you don't have to use this book, it can be any animal encyclopedia but this is what I worked from and I did look at all the animal encyclopedias I could to pick the one that would work the best for us. We're visual learners and we want to see what we're studying. :001_smile:

Wow! I'm (as always) impressed with your hard work and willingness to share- for free! You could make $ on this, you know...:)

The only thing I thought was "12 weeks for invertebrates?" Admittedly, my kids are younger (1st and K). But we did invertebrates for a few weeks this past year-I think 3 or 4- and they were barely interested. (When are we going to get to the exciting animals, Mom????)

But that could just be my kids. Perhaps yours are a little more scientifically inclined.

Thanks again for sharing.

I think it's a combination of the types of books read, the details highlighted and the experiments done to keep the kids engaged. Yesterday we were driving home and my dd7 wanted to drive as fast as an ostrich to "see" how fast they can run. So I drove the car 45 mph and we pretended we were ostriches, running away from a predator. I then said, okay let's be cheetahs chasing the ostrich and accelerated back up to 60 mph (speed limit was 55 mph on the country road, btw). With my kids I have to "show" them something, they will not care about bugs unless there is something interesting about them and thankfully God created everything with a purpose so I can highlight that. :)

I can't sell them, I'm just a homeschool mom creating lessons for her kids. I have no experience, credentials, and it's just a schedule. If I took the time and wrote out lessons maybe, but that wouldn't solve the other factors of lack of experience and credentials. I highly doubt anyone who doesn't know me would look at my lessons and want to purchase them over other curricula available. But thank you for the compliment. ;)

The only thing I thought was "12 weeks for invertebrates?"

Hee hee -- we've spent the entire year on invertebrates! :lol: But, we haven't done science 5 days a week. My 8 year old also self-studies other science topics -- African savanna, horses, rodents and so on.