Menu

Ants and Terro - I'm completely enthralled

For the last week or 2 I've had some ants here and there in my kitchen. There was one major outbreak of them over by where my ds eats (and subsequently drops his food), but I sprayed and they were gone. But over by my kitchen sink I haven't been able to control them. But it hasn't been a big deal -just one or two here and there.

So there have been some threads on ants and the best stuff being Terro. So I bought it a few days ago. I have had one out but nothing has happened. Until today. I saw 2 of them on the window sill so I grabbed the gel pack and placed it on the sill. They eventually went over to investigate but weren't interested - or so I thought. I was about to kill them myself when I was called away. When I came back they were gone, and not in the Terro liquid.

So tonight, hours later, I go to shut the window and there are TONS of ants - inside the gel as well as in a single file line coming down the wall. I am completely fascinated watching their behavior! There seems to be a few that go check it out, turn around, crawl back up the wall and touch every ant he sees in his path, as if he's telling him where to go and to tell the others. Then they continue to make their way back up the wall and within minutes, more are streaming out. In a way it's disgusting because I'm wondering where they are housed and how many there are, but it's also...fascinating. Too bad my kids are in bed - they would love watching this! It's like a case study on the behavior of ants!

I'm weird, I know. :)

Maybe you'd rather avoid pictures of ants - especially at dinnertime. But, thinking about it just now, I wondered if you'd understood the photo above. Those ants were clustered around a couple drops of Terro. They ended up in a little heart shape which I thought was so paradoxical that I took a picture of it.

I know...I'm strange. :blink:

I'm so glad you wrote this. We have just started getting ants in the house and I was wondering what to do about it. Now I know. Although I must admit that the idea of going from a couple of ants to a whole line of them doesn't really impress me.:glare:

Terro is awesome - the traps are much better than the little drops. But it gets worse before it gets better.

I can't believe I was actually considering getting an ant farm for science studies! :001_huh:

I had to ignore them at the old house.

WHY? Because they were in my built in microwave.

I sucked it up and left the Terro for a few days and they were GONE, never to been seen again.

This was an interior wall, with them entering from teh attic - yet there were no signs of them up there :(

Good thing we were moving huh???? :lol:

Yes, you grossed me out. But at the same time, I thought, "Aww..they made a heart!"

I didn't respond because I didn't have anything cleaver to say about it. I'm not as witty as you, dangit! At least not in written form. Catch me in person and it's a whole 'nother matter! ;)

But yes, I understood that it was the liquid they were surrounding. I would have taken a picture too. :)

Yes, you grossed me out. But at the same time, I thought, "Aww..they made a heart!"

I didn't respond because I didn't have anything cleaver to say about it. I'm not as witty as you, dangit! At least not in written form. Catch me in person and it's a whole 'nother matter! ;)

But yes, I understood that it was the liquid they were surrounding. I would have taken a picture too. :)

Honey, you just keep going on growing that baby. Who has time for wit when they're days from delivery!?

Sorry for not including a little "graphic warning" with my LOVE-ly ants. I fail to remember (honestly) that not everyone has the same bug fetish as me. :001_huh:

(Oh, and btw, a good friend here has a son named Atticus. She calls him Attie. *grin* I love that name!)