Menu

Lexia and other computer programs

Hi everyone. My son is in 5th grade and we are trying to adjust to finding out about his dyslexia. Does anyone have experience with Lexia? Do you need to supplement with more things for reading/ language arts?

Also what computer based curriculums do you all suggest for 6 th and 3rd grades?

Yes, one of my kids used Lexia "Primary" reading a few years ago, and I've recently started my 5 yo on it as well. I use it as a supplement, something that provides extra phonics practice which they can use semi-independently (a big help, since so much of dyslexia remediation can become boring and repetitious - especially for the teacher :)).

Some other computer-based supplements we've used and found effective are "Seeing Stars" software, "Visualizing and Verbalizing" software, and math drill software (Dr. Aardsma, I think it's called).

Have you looked at Time4Learning? It can be used as a complete curriculum or as a supplement. We used it a couple of years ago, and it was a good fit for my dyslexic child. One of the things I liked most about it was that the text on the screen was accompanied by a voice reading along with it, which prevented him from getting stuck on new words.

http://www.time4learning.com/homeSchool-curriculum.htm

You could try my free online phonics lessons, they are designed for older remedial students.

While they are designed for students who got sight words in school, many students diagnosed with dyslexia have been helped by them.

Also, they could play my game together, the nonsense words should be helpful:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html