Menu

Starting OPG with 1st Grader already doing WWE & FLL??

4our4

My son is an ok reader but still struggles - he learned to read in PS Kindergarten. New words, sounding things out, and spelling are difficult for him. I was thinking of starting OPGTR with him to help out but he thinks it's too easy. Thoughts?

On a side note, we're doing WWE1 and just finished FLL1 - that is going well. :)

Thanks!

Why not skip the parts you know he knows (I'm sure he already knows at least the first 25 lessons...probably a lot more), start where you think he might have problems, breeze through it fast until you hit something he struggles with, and then go at normal pace?

When I started OPGTR with my daughter at age 4, she already knew quite a bit of it so we had to take that approach. Now that we're up to around lesson 190, she's doing about 5 lessons in a sitting because her reading ability has even surpassed where we're at in the book.

Your plan sounds good. You can certainly skip the parts he knows already. I started OPG with my first grader after pulling him out of school. We started at the 40s somewhere just to make sure we hit those digraphs and such that hadn't been officially taught in school yet (he was reading well above grade level, but didn't have a good phonics background). I went off script and just briefly explained those things, then had him do the readings. My plan was to find the spot where he didn't already know something and then start following the plan as laid out. Then I ended up deciding to go with AAS for spelling, so I dropped OPG. But OPG is a great choice for learning phonics, and it's cheap and easy to use.

If he doesn't like reading out of the book, you can write the words/sentences on a white board to make it more interesting.

OPG is so different from FLL and WWE that you won't have any overlap. The programs should work very well together. :)

I did that myself, starting about lesson 42 where blends begin. DD was concurrently doing FLL 1 and WWE 1. She had gone through intro phonics in private K, and was reading, but hadn't gotten beyond just a few blends. I wanted to make sure she had no phonics gaps. We sometimes did multiple lessons in a day. It will probably get harder for him as you progress through the book. Those 3 work very well together.

If he got sight words in K, that makes the phonics difficult at first.

Nonsense words help. Adding in some spelling also helps, but nonsense words are key.

My game makes both real and nonsense word and is free, my remedial students love it:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

Here are some pages about remedial students and things that help to get them sounding out words well:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/remedialstudents.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/howtotutor.html