Menu

Have you ever been tempted to enroll your children in school just to have a break?

I am exhausted, my house is a mess, I am at the point where school stresses me out because my 2nd grader would rather stare at the wall all day (literally) than do 2-3 pages from a cursive workbook.

My first grader does her schoolwork quickly and is free for the day.

My 3 year old is not getting enough attention because I have to stand on top of the 7 year old to get him to cooperate.

We will have a new baby in June.

We have good public schools here.

So what would you do?

Here is what I have come up with:

A) Continue on homeschooling, but not getting to the fun stuff because the 7yo refuses to finish his math and cursive.

B) Enroll the 7yo in the local school and have a more enjoyable homeschooling experience with the other children.

C) Enroll the 6yo in the local school, put the 3yo in preschool, and work with the 7yo independently.

D) Enroll both of the older kids in the local school so that I have time to devote to the 3yo and the new baby.

E) Something else?

Parenting seems to have seasons. You happen to be in the "little kid" season where no matter what you do it feels like chaos is reigning.

Do you keep a schedule? Sometimes a schedule feels like a lot of work but really helps to organize lots of little ones.

But what do I know, I only have 2 kids.

:grouphug::grouphug:

No, I've never thought about putting my kids in school. It's just not an option for me.

Your children are young. You don't have to do it all. Focus on the basics of reading, handwriting, and math. That's it. Read lots of books and don't worry. Cursive may be a bit much for a 7 yr old boy especially 2-3 pages a day. That's a lot of writing for a 7 yr old boy. It's ok if he doesn't learn cursive at 7.

Congrats on the new baby.

Well, I have fleeting moments where I think about what I could get done if I were here alone and THEN I think about DD bringing home homework.:blink:

It would be a DISASTER!!! I cannot imagine the battle we would have every afternoon over the homework. For us, school is 1,000x better if we start first thing in the morning (start by 7:30).

From your description of your DS, it doesn't sound like homework would be very fun with him either.

No, I haven't but I have been tempted to quit everything else and stay home for a while to catch up with the house and all that. Thinking that right now!

I have an 8 year old like this. I give her a set amount of work for the week, and in order for her do fun things she must complete the work.

I do set it up for each day, so that she is paced throughout the week. And if she doesn't do a certain amount of work that day, she can't play/have free time/TV etc that day. But the bigger focus is the weekend. She must be done with her week's work, or she has school on Saturday.

She was doing school work at 9:30 last night because she refused to do much work on Monday. She has something she wants to go to on Saturday, but the work must be done!

Fun stuff doesn't come out until the work is done.

That said handwriting is tough for boys! I would probably do just a page or two at the most. You could reward him for getting one done quickly by not having to do more. If he does one with a good attitude and in a timely manner, he doesn't have to do the others. Or something like that....

No, I haven't but I have been tempted to quit everything else and stay home for a while to catch up with the house and all that.

:iagree:

Nope. When we need a break, we take one.

Evaluate the success of what you are doing, and if it's not working then change it. Revise your expectations. Two-to-three pages per day of cursive is a lot for a second grader. When I was in public school I didn't even learn cursive at all until third grade; that's when it was taught everywhere. Maybe cut your expectation down to 2-3 lines per day? He'll probably still be finished with the book by third grade.

Homeschooling is a marathon, not a sprint.

You wouldn't really get a break, because you have littles. And a baby on the way.

I agree with others who say ditch the cursive. He's 7, and a boy, so perhaps he's not quite ready to do that. I'm just this year doing cursive with my 10 year old boy. AND let's be honest here, if he NEVER learns cursive, it won't be the end of the world in this day and age. I'm starting to think the cursive is more for the moms than for the benefit of the kids. My dh never writes in cursive (he actually uses a random combination of upper and lower case letters), and he's a senior vice president in his company. So cursive is not required for a successful career.

Have fun with these babies of yours! You'll blink and they'll be your height!

:grouphug:

I am exhausted, my house is a mess, I am at the point where school stresses me out because my 2nd grader would rather stare at the wall all day (literally) than do 2-3 pages from a cursive workbook.

My 3 year old is not getting enough attention because I have to stand on top of the 7 year old to get him to cooperate.

So what would you do?

A) Continue on homeschooling, but not getting to the fun stuff because the 7yo refuses to finish his math and cursive.

B) Enroll the 7yo in the local school and have a more enjoyable homeschooling experience with the other children.

C) Enroll the 6yo in the local school, put the 3yo in preschool, and work with the 7yo independently.

D) Enroll both of the older kids in the local school so that I have time to devote to the 3yo and the new baby.

E) Something else?

YES! I have, but I can't make myself do it. Number 1 I would be bored out of my mind with all that free time :tongue_smilie: and honestly? I am to lazy to want to even deal with the system. I would fight them too much.

I go with Option E. You kids are young. You don't need to do everything Get the three R's done. Reading, Writing and aRithmetic. When that is done then let them do something fun.

Break up the math lessons into half lessons for the day and do it twice. Don't let any lesson take more than 15 minutes then take a break. Then get back to it and take a break and then transition into doing two subjects then a break and so on.

Don't make your 2nd grade do more than 1 sheet of HW. Use other things for practice. Like writing one sentence about a picture. Or even just writing spelling words. That can count as handwriting!

I don't have 4, only 3 kids. BUT I have a very high maintenance almost 3 year old. We have done the bare bones minimum the last 3 years. Even with that they did very well on the testing I need to have done on them for the state:tongue_smilie:. have just, finally, started doing more but my kid are older than yours too.

It is easy to dole out advise but often hard to implement it. You will get lots of good ideas here :)

If all else fails take a break from schooling for a while then start phasing things back in a little at a time! :)

ETA: Oh about the 3yo in preschool - why not do it a couple days a week and see how it goes? If I could afford it and my youngest would hyperventilate if I left him I would try it! :)

Yes, I have. In fact, last week was one of those "boarding school in Switzerland seems to be the only viable option here" kind of weeks. :lol:

I have been so VERY tempted, many times, to put them in school to save my sanity. Also, I have visions of Schmooey and I having all kinds of lovely mommy-son time together if the girls were in school. I'm pretty sure, though, that all my attempts at CM-style nature walks with him would involve him hitting things with sticks and ignoring my attempts to teach him things.

If you need to take a break from school, it's OK. You have young kids and their education will not be ruined for all eternity if you just back off for a bit.

I do like the idea of having school on Saturday if the work doesn't get done. Do you think that would motivate your son at all? Tell him, "you have a half hour to do this. Whatever isn't done, you will do on Saturday." Set a timer. Timers have been wonderfully motivating here.

Tempted for a minute, but then I'd get over it. :)

My solution would be to put away school stuff and just take care of business around the house. I'd also evaluate what we were doing to see if I was trying to do too much, if what I was doing was age- and interest-appropriate for my dc, and if I was leaving the house for too many outside activities.

Under no circumstances would I put a child in school because he refuses to do his math or cursive. :confused:

I did this last year. My mental health was fragile and I was no good for any of my kids and I needed the time to focus on my challenge child and the littles. It wasn't a break. I traded one type of chaos for another. :D Having to keep track of school lunches, homework, papers to sign, field trips, gym uniforms, projects, etc. made me crazy. Blech. I'd rather keep the chaos I know than try to learn an entire new set of chaos. :D

So what would you do?

E) Something else?

I have been tempted but have never followed through. When mine were little we would take a week off of academics and do home economics.

Sometimes it really does sound tempting as a break.

But, our oldest son attended PS all the way through. It really is just trading one set of issues for another.

You have to live life by the public school schedule. If your kid doesn't feel well, you have to inform the school. If your kid has an appointment, you have to inform the school. Basically- getting their 'permission' for your child to be absent. School lunches here are a huge waste of money- around $3 a day, or you have to take the time to have everything you need every day to pack. It is an endless procession of fees- book fees, picture fees, sports fees.

Even in our little po-dunk town, if the kids wear clothes from wally-world or (heaven forbid :tongue_smilie: ) the thrift store (I love thrift stores), then they are tormented and literally badgered until they succumb to the consumer mentality, and harass you endlessly for 'mall' clothing of ridiculous wasteful price. Oh- and certain shoes and coats too. (all expensive) I spend next to nothing in clothing compared to what I spent on our oldest son, just so he would 'fit in' at PS.

Yes, once they are home for the evening, after spending almost all their daylight hours sitting in a room, they typically have homework. (Dont' forget, while in that room all day, having to ask permission to go the bathroom every time- which may or may not be granted, depending).

Once in a while I am still tempted, even after having gone through it all, just because I need the break, I am overwhelmed. Then I drive by that middle PS and shudder.

I have been doing such as these ladies suggest, taking breaks and changing things up. It really helps.

Edited by jazzyfizzle

YES. Yesyesyesyesyesyes. If we could afford it the girls would be in a GREAT private school next year. But, we can't so ... after much angst and thought... we're staying the course. It'll be fine.

In your case, I'd take a break from everything school-related and get caught up on Life. In the grand scheme of things, it's not going to matter if you take a break for a week or two.

What I WISH existed was the equivalent of MDO, but for young school-aged children. A once or twice a week, couple of hour time to drop kids off, and have them play together under someone else's supervision, so moms can run errands, have a doctor's appointment, or just sit and have a cup of coffee, where there's no effort made to teach anything, so if you skip a day or week no one cares, and where the cost isn't very expensive.

I have no desire to put my DD back in school, but I'd love a block of time that's longer than a 1 hour dance class.

Yep. We're in the middle of it right now.

I hs a 6th grader and a 1st grader with a 2 yr. old destroying my house, my keepsakes and, dancing on top of our Saxon worksheets while I try to do math w/dd. I also have a severely disabled dd in public school so when she is sick, misses the bus, has therapy, has a dr. appt., or has a seizure my day is over. I am beyond losing it.

Ds has applied to a couple of magnet schools in the area but we're not that impressed. We're considering the public school down the road but, the more I think about it, the more I believe it would be doing him a grave disservice. I think it would change who he is, how he views himself, and how he views learning. DH may insist he go b/c I'm literally going nuts. We'll see.

With the ages of your kids, I'd relax. Seriously. Do the 3 Rs and let it be. I could do that if ds weren't going into the 7th grade but I feel like we have to get serious at this point:tongue_smilie: The 2 yr. old will go to preschool next year but that's only 2 days a week. It's not enough. If it weren't for the 2 yr. old, we'd be fine.

Ds also went through that "I'd rather stare at a wall phase." He came out of it about a year ago:)

There's no doubt I'd take a break in your situation AND I wouldn't feel worried or guilty about it.

Well, I have an only child and he's 13, so we're in kind of an easy time right now. But even when he was younger, I never considered it. To me, putting him in school would have been MORE work than homeschooling. Getting up early and getting him ready, breakfast in a hurry, out the door, etc. Nope. Never wanted to do that. ;)

I can't claim to know what it's like to have several young ones underfoot, but from watching friends go through it, I do know it will pass.

No, and with the current craziness that is going on with school consolidation in our area, I can't see that particular desire creeping up on me in the near future.

I assume you're in Memphis/Shelby County, too? As I told DH, it's one more reason to keep DD OUT of the system this coming year!!

I would recommend looking for a mother's helper to come for a few hours two or three days a week, especially with a new baby on the way. The mother's helper could work on schoolwork with your older kids, or entertain the little ones while you oversee the schoolwork, or watch all of the kids while you read a book or nap.

We do have a schedule, but it sort of goes out the window when 7yo doesn't get his work done. My fault, really.

I really have a lot of the same struggles.

I am considering putting DS3 in preschool for a couple of months so that he can learn how to behave in a school setting.

It really helps to set the timer. I was shocked that 10 minutes can go by with DD trying to figure out one simple math problem. Stick to the timer. 20 minutes per day in math even if only 1/4 of the page gets done.

Getting up early helps so much too.

Putting DD8 in school wouldn't help overall because I know I would spend just as much time getting her out the door and dealing with home-work. She was in K for most of the year and it was terrible.

At least once a week! I haven't read the other replies, but I will admit it, sometimes I wouldn't mind a break from my kids. I am a strange introvert. People assume I am extroverted because I am not shy, and like to have a good time at social events, but I crave, love and need alone time to stay sane. I have a hard time balancing school and locking myself in a quiet room.

We tried 3 different cursive workbook programs at that age with no success.

Now, I do ZB from the whiteboard, much better!

You do a letter a day and work on that letter until they can do it easily.

Then, work on combining strokes and writing words.

Then, and only then, when they can write any word well on the white board, go to worksheets.

One of my girlfriends with 7 children who has homeschooled from the beginning just did this. Her husband is unemployed, but unfortunately not helpful around the house or with the schooling.

Her oldest who is 10 has dyslexia and ADHD. She had been considering PS for him only for a while so he could get extra services for his LD. She enrolled him in mid-January. She then also enrolled her next two oldest in PS. She kept the one who is K age at home along with the 4 year old and her 2 year old twins. She's hoping that the break for her from schooling will be helpful to her emotional state and her marriage.

She's planning on reevaluating their situation in the fall. You never know what life will throw at you. You have to do what's best for you (and your mental state) and your family at the time, and not worry about what others outside your immediate family think.

Oh yeah, I just noticed this. It really should be only one page per day. You might also watch this:

o, starting at minute 6:05 for the last answer and read this: http://dev.welltrainedmind.com/schedules/ Just to keep things in perspective. :)

Sure, in my wildest fantasies I have dreams of sending the children off to awesome day schools where they receive superior instruction and enjoy the company of pleasant children. It's not something I have ever seriously considered, but there are days when it's nice to dream! LOL

You have a bunch of littles. Sometimes it's stressful, sometimes it's a total PITA. I would drop the cursive with the seven year old. Actually, I'd drop everything aside from language arts, handwriting, and math. I'd keep the lessons short and simple. I would take them to the library weekly and let them load up on books, make sure they get lots of outside play time as the weather permits, and try not to stress about the house work.

E) Something else?

I'm not in your same situation; I have my own situation of course, with my own troubles and concerns. I can't speak to your particular situation from just a small blurb on this forum. Only you will know what's best for your family. I'll share my story in case it's helpful to you. I have concerns for giving my kids the best of what I can provide, and I'm not sure at home with me and each other all day long is the best I can provide. I've decided to change things up a bit next year. What I've decided to do is part-time public school. It's offered here in Washington state. I'm enrolling my oldest in morning classes, and my younger two in afternoon classes. This way I can have one-on-one with my oldest in the afternoon, and two-on-one with my youngers in the morning. So, it kind of segments my day and gives me my work slots and what I need to do when, which is how my brain functions best. I also think my younger kids need some more social interaction with other kids their age, and with teachers. I think it will benefit them to be in a class environment for part of the day - not the whole day, just half the day. My oldest, I feel, also needs less time hunkered down in her room, and time mixing and mingling with people. I'm hoping for the best of both worlds. We'll see what happens.

Edited by JenniferB

And if you can find a copy of SWB's Homeschooling the Real Child talk from the MidSouth Homeschool Convention, I'd highly recommend it. Check out Peace Hill Press' site; they have a lot of her MP3s there. I found some really helpful advice there for evaluating "trouble spots" in out homeschooling as well as possible solutions.

I feel your pain. I have a 7 year old son with ADHD and he does the same thing. It makes for such a horrible day when you have to be on him all the time to get things done. If it's not one thing it's the next. He totally has the ability and is a gifted child to boot, but he has no motivation at all.

SO, I put him in public school the end of January. He'd never been there before and he was SO excited to go. NOW, he's SO excited to homeschool again, lol! It wasn't all it was cracked up to be and the homework is a pain! He gets home at 3:30 and sits down to do it. He's usually not done by the time I have to get up and make supper. Then he has to work on his own. After supper it's back to homework. Sometimes until bedtime at 7:30! Then it's back up at 6:30 the next day for the bus at 7:30. He's also not any more cooperative with the homework than he was with the homeschool work. But the big difference is that now I have no idea what he's been taught and how to do their lame math worksheets. Plus my son is gifted and is now reading 2nd grade books instead of the 5th grade books he normally reads. SO, I figure by the end of the school year he'll have learned nothing above and beyond what he learned here during the first 4 months of the school year. I might as well have just ended our school year in January and threw in the towel.

My advice is to revamp your program. If it's a battle you need to win, just tell him that you have done all you need to in that cursive book this year and now it's time to do other things. Get lots of books from the library and let him read a lot and work in subjects that he likes better. I know from experience, that when it's a battle of the minds, you can't give in, but you can revamp, because that still leaves you in control of what's going on :o)

Best wishes with the new baby, and the rest of them :o)

Jennifer

Mom to 4, ages 8, 7.5, 7, and 5, ttc #5

foster Mom to 4 more, ages 12, 8, 6, and almost 2 :o)

It's a crazy life, but it's my life, and I happen to like it :o)

You do what you need to do and accept the consequences and know you are doing your best.

I didn't even realise how burned out I actually was from homeschooling until I stopped this year.

I think many people feel a sense of failure if they cant continue to homeschool, if they burn out or its all too much. But you can't actually fail at life. You are in a difficult season. Do what you need to do to get through as wholly as possible. You set the tone of the home- if you are not in a good space at least a fair amount of the time- if there is not a fair amount of joy- that is what your kids are living in all the time. Sometimes a break might be what everyone needs.

The negatives of ps far outweigh the frustration at home on any given day. My kids are older, though...and there are only two of them...and I am not pregnant! So, that alone makes a big difference for me.

My oldest son went to ps for 4 years. I see those now as 4 miserable years of our lives we will never get back...if that gives you any idea how i feel about our local ps.

So what would you do?

E) Something else?

E: 20 minute lessons. Do not leave his side for those 20min. Give him short breaks between...go to the bathroom, glass of water, etc...after an hour (at the most) send him off to play....work with 1st grader...finish up what 2nd grader needs after a good break (keeping 20min lessons, stopping before *he* is burned out)

I agree that 2-3 pages of cursive if a bit much, esp in one go. I try to keep our routine varied. Writing intensive, non-writing, reading intensive, non-reading...and keeping things moving every 15-20min.

Focus on the 3R's and let history and science *be* the fun stuff.

:grouphug: Those are mommy-intensive ages, every way you look at it!:grouphug: