Menu

In light of TWTM, does this sound good for 1st grade?

Alenee

I just began using TWTM philosophy and want your opinions on my dd's 1st grade schedule.

MUS Alpha(continuing through the summer, from this year)

Cursive First (just practice sheets now)

SWR (will continue where we left off)

TOG Y2

Apologia Zoology 1 or 2 (not sure which one yet)

Copy work (from various sources)

PP (continuing through summer)

FLL (continuing through summer)

Am I missing anything? We're not planning to begin Latin until the second grade.

Hi there! I recognize you (your AV) from elsewhere. ;)

I'm assuming TOG is your history program? (I'm not all that familiar with TOG.)

Are you incorporating your reading with history, or do you have something else planned for that? (I'm not extremely familiar with SWR either, so it could be there for all I know.)

I can't pull out of my brain what PP is; it'll come to me I'm sure. LOL

Looks great! Welcome aboard! ;)

I just began using TWTM philosophy and want your opinions on my dd's 1st grade schedule.

Cursive First

TOG Y2

Am I missing anything? We're not planning to begin Latin until the second grade.

How is her handwriting? FLL has simple copywork in it so if you are doing copywork from other places, then I would skip the copywork in FLL. Is PP, Phonics Pathways? If so, then you wouldn't need that and SWR.

Enjoy your year.

SWR= Spell to Write and Read

PP= Phonics Pathways

TOG= Tapestry of Grace

TOG is interdisciplinary in that it has reading, history, and church history all in one. We are using SWR and PP because after using SWR alone with my first dd, I realized that some kids have the ability to read long before they have the ability to write. Using SWR alone, my older dd was not reading fluently until 7.5 yo. I want this one on top of things a lot sooner than that. She's on I-2 for SWR and doing well but needs the drill that PP affords. I don't do most of the copy work from FLL because she's much farther past that.

Hi there! I recognize you (your AV) from elsewhere. ;)

I knew it was you too as soon as I read about your hubby being a baker and your schedule being later into the night. I've been coming here for a month or two now and really like it a lot. Much faster paced. And my questions get answered! I still check the other board for fellowship but for hs'ing in general, this is the place to be!

Do you like PP? I just checked this book out from our library and am thinking of using it with my 6yrds this summer. I have 100 EL on hold to look at it too, but I haven't gotten to see it yet. I have also looked at OPGTTR, now I am just more confused.

I need some first hand experience with all of these.

LOL Where didja see all that? This is the first time I've spied you....

And I'm curious about the same things that Lisa (above) asked about. I've some experience with 100EL and didn't like it and am looking at OPGTR, and know almost nothing about PP. How do you like it?

Anyway. We started hsing classically just in the fall with my then-3rd grader, and my youngers will be K5 and K4 when we start after ds4's bday at the end of this month. :) I love this place, too!

Okay, remind me what OPTGR is. I do like PP especially together with SWR. PP teaches some of the main spelling rules. You can use it before you begin SWR or at the same time you're doing the SWR prelims. Then go into SWR a step ahead. I also have Reading Pathways for after PP...now that I'm thinking about it, dd6 is probably ready for a little of that. I don't like 100 easy lessons because of all of the marks. It gets confusing for the child, imo. I think I saw a similar review here about that as well. Right now I'm just waiting for everything to click with dd. She has the skills but not the confidence.

After teaching dd9 to read, and now with dd6, I'll be introducing SWR and PP with dd 3.5 this coming year. She turns 4 in July and already has a good amount of the Phonograms memorized.

DaLynn, I spied you in the get-to-know you thread a few weeks back.

Why would I need to use PP with SWR?

imo, and this will be refuted by people who are trainers for SWR, kids who cannot write well at 4 and 5yo will not be able to begin the spelling lists with SWR which is the main portion for SWR w/o a lot of tears. They can learn the phonograms and do the prelims but you really need to be able to have a good grasp on handwriting to do the lists. My dd9 started reading through SWR but at one point, hit a wall with handwriting so we had to take a break. In all that time, I would've been much better off had I known about PP. We could've been doing that while taking the handwriting break but instead, we did nothing. It really hurt her. Most of my friends who use SWR also use PP and FLL along with it and are seeing faster reading results.

We used PP and loved it! My ds wouldn't hold a pencil at 4 but knew the sounds of letter at 2yo. But I could not get him to blend his letters. PP was great. He started PP and VERY quickly was reading. He would love to look for Dewey the bookworm on every page!

I would often find him sitting and looking at the book on his own. (okay, I KNOW that most kids won't do this) :lol:

Tee

OPGTR is The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading, by Jessie Wise and offered by Peace Hill Press.

I may post a separate thread, but would love some sort of compare/contrast of PP, OPGTR, ETC, and any other phonics primers anyone has used. I also have an old one that I'm thinking might just suffice without spending any money at all. ;) (It's old and long out of print. I can't find it ANYWHERE on the net at all! From HBJ.)

Okay, done thread-jacking! ;)

Cursive First

TOG Y2

I think it looks very thorough and doable. I'm not sure that you would need to do both Cursive First and copywork at the same time. I'd suggest spending the first part of the year with cursive first and then move on to copywork when that is finished. As far as science, you might want to consider starting with Apologia Astronomy. I realize it is out of sequence with TWTM, but it is the simplest of the Apologia science books to understand. We've used Zoology 1 this year with a 1st and 3rd. It's been perfect for my 3rd grader. Although my first grader is now enthusiatic about birds and identifying them, I think some of the information and terminology has gone over her head.

I think it looks very thorough and doable. I'm not sure that you would need to do both Cursive First and copywork at the same time. I'd suggest spending the first part of the year with cursive first and then move on to copywork when that is finished. As far as science, you might want to consider starting with Apologia Astronomy. I realize it is out of sequence with TWTM, but it is the simplest of the Apologia science books to understand. We've used Zoology 1 this year with a 1st and 3rd. It's been perfect for my 3rd grader. Although my first grader is now enthusiatic about birds and identifying them, I think some of the information and terminology has gone over her head.

We actually just finished Apologia Astronomy. I fully expect a good portion to be over her head. For her it's mainly exposure but I'm doing it purposely for her older sister who is 9yo. We're using CF for practice, using the sheets. She has most of the letters memorized now but still needs the penmanship practice. As she does her copy work, she still needs help with a few cursive letters.

Other than TOG, she's been doing this schedule already...I should've said that. I am curious if I'm missing something but by all of the replies, it looks like we're right on track.

Thanks for all of the replies!