Menu

Homeschool Buyer's Coop has Help for High School 50% off

Someone mentioned in the cost of curriculum that Homeschool Buyer's Co-op has The WRiter's Jungle for 50% off. Well, Help for High School is also 50% off! I think the sale goes until March 31, 2011. I was hoping for sale at the PA convention but it won't be more than 50% off!

Capt Uhura

Yes i do find it helpful. HOwever, it wasn't really until we took a few Bravewriter classes that it all came together for me. My goal this summer is to re-read Writer's Jungle and write a plan for myself. I will also attend her talks at the PA convention.

thank you. I'm adding it to my reference list.

Ayup, what's one more on the list? ;) :lol::lol:

:willy_nilly: Teaching writing. :glare: That's all I have to say about that!

:001_smile: No, we love teaching writing. We love that we feel the need to have multiple resources to get it right. :D :lol:

Thank you. Do you, or someone who owns Writer's Jungle, find it helpful in learning how to teach writing, even if you don't follow the Bravewriter method completely?

Paula, forgive me please for saying this, but I think you would love them both. Those prices are amazing. I should know since I paid full price for both of them.:tongue_smilie: I think Julie's work will appeal to you because she approaches teaching writing not as a teacher but as a professional writer. This summer will be my third year of reading The Writer's Jungle. Each year, I am able to add a little more.

Paula, forgive me please for saying this, but I think you would love them both. Those prices are amazing. I should know since I paid full price for both of them.:tongue_smilie: I think Julie's work will appeal to you because she approaches teaching writing not as a teacher but as a professional writer. This summer will be my third year of reading The Writer's Jungle. Each year, I am able to add a little more.

Thank you. I think it's a great price for both, biting nails, do I buy both at the same time? Ugh, :toetap05: waiting for dh to get paid.

I'm glad to hear they are useful for multiple years, and worth multiple readings!

:rant: I bought Help for Highschool yesterday. I was so excited. I printed it out double sided manually. My STUPID, IDIOTIC, GOOD FOR NOTHING printer grabbed two pages at the very beginning of doing the back side and so over half my ink WASTED and ALL that paper!!!! For example, on the back of page 27 is page 30.:cursing:

:rant: I bought Help for Highschool yesterday. I was so excited. I printed it out double sided manually. My STUPID, IDIOTIC, GOOD FOR NOTHING printer grabbed two pages at the very beginning of doing the back side and so over half my ink WASTED and ALL that paper!!!! For example, on the back of page 27 is page 30.:cursing:

UGH!!! I hate that. I always print duplex just a few pages at a time. Thanks for the warning. How many pages is the high school book?

Edited by elegantlion
word usage,

Thank you. I think it's a great price for both, biting nails, do I buy both at the same time? Ugh, :toetap05: waiting for dh to get paid.

I'm glad to hear they are useful for multiple years, and worth multiple readings!

Paula, did you decide to go ahead and purchase BW's WJ? What about the Arrows/Boomerangs? Just curious if you've made a decision. :)

Paula, did you decide to go ahead and purchase BW's WJ? What about the Arrows/Boomerangs? Just curious if you've made a decision. :)

I bought The Writer's Jungle only. Mostly because of budget right now.

Would it be overkill to buy the BW package with both The Writer's Jungle and Help for High School? I don't want to waste money, but I also don't want to kick myself and not get both if both are helpful.

I would have if I'd had the money. For you, it depends. It's a significant savings. If you're not sure you could buy Writer's Jungle, read through it, and still order the high school helps before the end of the month. I would cost about 5-7 dollars more than buying them together.

I poked around at the Bravewriter site and looked at the samples before deciding.

Not Paula, but I will throw in my 2-cents'-worth anyway.:D

The Writer's Jungle is not a writing curriculum, but a writing philosophy. It is more for the teacher who wants to really understand the writing process and who possibly is writer on her own. This will be my third summer of reading through it. Each time I glean a couple more practices to incorporate into our writing routine. Honestly, the first year all I walked away with was copy work and dictation the Julie Bogart way. That was enough. I am more inclined to attribute the Dude's competency with words primarily to that routine, than I would to the $$$ I have spent on numerous partially used writing curriculum. There is a reason that Julie calls it the "Brave Writer Life Style." Which reminds me that for those of you who have not checked out Julie's free ideas and emails by the same name, please do so.

I had a one year subscription to the Boomerang and while I think it's pricey, it was worth it. I have written many times over the last two years how effective and efficient combining a short literary analysis lesson is with copy work and dictation. I believe you can still download a free sample of Tom Sawyer from the website.

Help for High School took my dd about 16 weeks to complete. It is written to the student and is a curriculum with assignments for learning to write essays. It is user-friendly and never condescending to the student. Best of all in my opinion is that Bogart is not an advocate of formula writing which is as it should be at this age. My dd is 18 so I can't tell you that she loved it as it was primarily a review. She did feel that the instruction was solid and that her youngest brother would tolerate it well when the time arrived for him to use it.

Not Paula, but I will throw in my 2-cents'-worth anyway.:D

The Writer's Jungle is not a writing curriculum, but a writing philosophy. It is more for the teacher who wants to really understand the writing process and who possibly is writer on her own. This will be my third summer of reading through it. Each time I glean a couple more practices to incorporate into our writing routine. Honestly, the first year all I walked away with was copy work and dictation the Julie Bogart way. That was enough. I am more inclined to attribute the Dude's competency with words primarily to that routine, than I would to the $$$ I have spent on numerous partially used writing curriculum. There is a reason that Julie calls it the "Brave Writer Life Style." Which reminds me that for those of you who have not checked out Julie's free ideas and emails by the same name, please do so.

I had a one year subscription to the Boomerang and while I think it's pricey, it was worth it. I have written many times over the last two years how effective and efficient combining a short literary analysis lesson is with copy work and dictation. I believe you can still download a free sample of Tom Sawyer from the website.

Help for High School took my dd about 16 weeks to complete. It is written to the student and is a curriculum with assignments for learning to write essays. It is user-friendly and never condescending to the student. Best of all in my opinion is that Bogart is not an advocate of formula writing which is as it should be at this age. My dd is 18 so I can't tell you that she loved it as it was primarily a review. She did feel that the instruction was solid and that her youngest brother would tolerate it well when the time arrived for him to use it.

Thanks, Lisa :).

I'm leaning towards buying this while it's on sale, and then later this year possibly getting Lost Tools of Writing. I've come to the conclusion that a Writing Curriculum isn't going to help me teach writing, but instead I need to really figure out what in the world I'm doing and teach it from there, so this sounds like it might be a good resource to have.

Life was a lot less expensive before I opened this thread :tongue_smilie:.

Why oh why did I open this thread? :glare: Some threads really do need to come with a warning label..."WARNING...this thread might be hazardous to your wallet. Proceed at your own risk".

:lol::lol: I'm starting to think that this could be said about most thread on this Logic sub-forum. I've spent an awful lot of money since the mods stared this place. :001_huh:

I already own the WRiter's Jungle. I bought Help for High School even though we're not there yet....couldn't resist for $40 and I believe in learning ahead! I own a few of the Arrows and I liked them. I thought they were pricey but I liked them. We haven't done a lot of them b/c we're finishing up WWE4 this year. Once I"m done w/ that, we'll be doing more of the Arrow/Boomerang.

Would Help For High School be doable without Bravewriter for a ninth grader? Would we be missing too much of the program and her philosophy?

Thanks!

Yes, wanting to know this question myself. Can you just buy Help for High School without using Writer's Jungle? I was originally looking into Elegent Essay, but like the looks HfHS better.

Hi Lisa. Since you have used both, can Help for High School be used independently from the Writer's Jungle? I am looking for something that is a little less teacher intensive and this sounds like it would fit the bill if we do not need Writer's Jungle. Thanks so much!

Hi Lisa. Since you have used both, can Help for High School be used independently from the Writer's Jungle? I am looking for something that is a little less teacher intensive and this sounds like it would fit the bill if we do not need Writer's Jungle. Thanks so much!

Hi Ann-Marie. The introduction to Help for High School will give you a basic understanding of Julie Bogarts' writing philosophy, which is extensively presented in The Writer's Jungle. If your student is not comfortable with the writing process, then Bogart suggests you start with TWJ. Otherwise, your student can begin working in HfHS right away. I would recommend that if you can make the time, to read ahead of your child. This allows you to provide more specific support.

While it is not applicable to our family, Julie takes some time to address the Christian family and issues students, who are used to writing pieces defending their faith, have when they get to college. It is an interesting read.

I do have to add that my dd (18) found MCT's Advanced Academic Writing, Vol. I to be a handy resource for polishing her essays. We used the assignments in it after HfHS. Dd said that reading Mr. Thompson's critiques gave her a far better understanding of what is expected in academic writing.

Good luck! With the current prices on HfHS, you really can't go wrong.

Thanks Lisa! One more question below. (I still haven't figured out the multi-quote option:tongue_smilie:)

Hi Ann-Marie. The introduction to Help for High School will give you a basic understanding of Julie Bogarts' writing philosophy, which is extensively presented in The Writer's Jungle. If your student is not comfortable with the writing process, then Bogart suggests you start with TWJ. Otherwise, your student can begin working in HfHS right away. I would recommend that if you can make the time, to read ahead of your child. This allows you to provide more specific support. Reading ahead would be a very good idea, thank you.

While it is not applicable to our family, Julie takes some time to address the Christian family and issues students, who are used to writing pieces defending their faith, have when they get to college. It is an interesting read. Was this in TWJ or HfHS?

I do have to add that my dd (18) found MCT's Advanced Academic Writing, Vol. I to be a handy resource for polishing her essays. We used the assignments in it after HfHS. Dd said that reading Mr. Thompson's critiques gave her a far better understanding of what is expected in academic writing. Thank you, I will check into this as well.

Good luck! With the current prices on HfHS, you really can't go wrong.