Menu
ATTENTION: Forums search will not work until re-indexing is completed. Please follow these instructions for search

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How long does unopened yeast last

I'm sure the answer to this is hidden in numerous threads, but I'm still on cuppa coffee numero uno, so humor me.

I'm getting ready to place an order from Pleasant Hill Grain and wanted to add a pack of the SAF yeast to my order. I don't need yeast yet, though, I just don't plan on another order anytime soon. How long can the yeast sit unopened up in my cabinet?

Pretty much it lasts until the expiration date. Yes, really.

If I were ordering yeast in bulk I would all and inquire about the expiration date before selecting an amount to purchase.

Lasts longer in the fridge.......

Yes, this. I have Red Star yeast in the back of my fridge that's five years past its "best by" date. When I recently made cinnamon rolls, the brand new yeast I bought barely foamed when proofed, but my six-year-old yeast went crazy. Keep it in the fridge.

I freeze mine. Seems to do well opened or unopened that way.

Me too. I buy yeast by the jar and keep it in the freezer. It NEVER goes bad, and I've been doing this for years now.

Blessings,

Lucinda

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER & RECEIVE A COUPON FOR
10% OFF
We respect your privacy.You’ll hear about new products, special discounts & sales, and homeschooling tips. *Coupon only valid for first-time registrants. Coupon cannot be combined with any other offer. Entering your email address makes you eligible to receive future promotional emails.
0 Shares
Tweet
Pin