Menu

Which math curricula teach place value well?

jer2911mom

Rightstart does and, although I don't really love Horizons, I think it also does a great job at teaching place value. It uses lots of base ten pictures and has lots of problems breaking numbers down (i.e. 823=800+20+3 or 823 is 8 hundreds, 2 tens, and 3 ones).

RightStart*

*I used a lot of introductory math programs (Miquon, MEP, Singapore, Japanese Math, CSMP) to draw on, but the ideas gleaned from the AL Abacus book (which was the precursor to the full RS program) had the best and most useful ideas for teaching place value early, which is when it should be taught.

I did translate some of the RS ideas to C Rods and base-10 flats, while doing others with the place value cards, base-10 cards, and the AL abacus (as intended). But RS-lite was the best thing I've seen for place value.

We went with "math names" like 3-Hundreds 2-Tens, 5-Units.

It wasn't exactly pure RS, but close enough to give them my vote.

Bill

MUS, Singapore, and RightStart.

But the teacher also has a lot to do with it. Not only does place value need to be introduced properly, it needs to be reinforced continually by the teacher even if the curriculum being used moves away from that constant reinforcement (as they all do at some point).

Edited by EKS

That's cute, I bought it. Amazon Prime is a dangerous thing sometimes.:tongue_smilie:

We're doing place value in MM right now and DD seemed to "get it" but we will probably do some RS activities also.

My son understood number concepts very early, so when I introduced this, we were able to go on to 100s the first day. I started out putting small numbers like 3 and 5 in the far right pocket. He would count, then pick out the number to put in the pocket above.

When I got to 10 straws, he realized he couldn't put the 1 and the 0 in the same pocket. I bundled them up and told him that groups of 10 have to "live" in the 10s place because they won't "fit" in the 1s place, and we placed the 1 in the 10s pocket and a 0 in the 1s pocket. I moved on to counting some in the teens and then the twenties. He did 30 on his own, so we kept going all the way past 100.

I don't know what Amazon prime is, but Amazon is a dangerous thing!

Math U See does it in a very fun way--Decimal Street. There is the unit's house, the tall tens apartment building, and the hundreds castle to start with. Mr. Demme explains how only nine of a kind can fit in a house and if it has too many some need to combine and be carried next door. This is covered in the Primer and Alpha levels.

Thanks, everyone! We are using RS A now so I'm glad to know it's what we need!

Just out of curiosity, how does MUS teach place value? Thanks!

He uses a decimal street mat provided with both Primer and Alpha. He explains about how each house on decimal street can only have 9 people living there if one more comes along they have to go over to the next house up. In the Alpha they cover units, tens, and hundreds in the 9th lesson and subsequent place values as the course unfolds.

I think that you can watch that section on the demo provided on their website. It is the third video down.

Edited by nitascool