Menu

I ordered a CLE catalog today.

The possibility of my sons being able work independently in math and maybe other subjects def. makes it worthy of a look see in my book. Plus, a half hour of math a day compared with one to one and a half hrs. of Saxon math has got my interest piqued. ;)

I don't know how old your sons are but it has been great for my 3rd grader. Last year he needed a little more guidance with math but this year we do some drills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division using flashcards or dice), some oral review, maybe play a few math games, go over the new section, and then I'm available for questions but he does the lesson on his own. It's been great. I've also used their 200 level Social Studies and Science programs as a reading comprehension program for him (he reads the LU and then answers the questions, all independently, and I just check to make sure he got the facts right).

I love their math, LA and Reading.

My oldest didn't take to the math very well though. Sigh. She's not a spiral kind of gal.

But the LA and Reading I will continue with this coming school year.

I'll use CLE with my other girls for sure.

I don't know how old your sons are but it has been great for my 3rd grader. Last year he needed a little more guidance with math but this year we do some drills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division using flashcards or dice), some oral review, maybe play a few math games, go over the new section, and then I'm available for questions but he does the lesson on his own. It's been great. I've also used their 200 level Social Studies and Science programs as a reading comprehension program for him (he reads the LU and then answers the questions, all independently, and I just check to make sure he got the facts right).

Thanks for a little peek into your CLE day! My two students are in 2nd and 1st. We are using Miquon for math and I may continue with that exclusively until fourth or I may end up using it as a supplement. I didn't know they had a SS unit! Can't wait for the catalog.

Oh my goodness!

It's wonderful.

My 2nd grade son is in LU 302 math --->30minutes max

LU 203 language--->20 minutes max

It's wonderful!!! And it's independent, so we have more time to read together. =)

Hope it works for you!

There are great samples online

Don't know why I missed the samples! It'll be great to look them over and get a better feel for it. I love the idea of having more time to read together! My boys have so many creative projects they work on (right now it's a pulley system they're building in the front yard and we're making wind stuff like weather vanes, windmills, and kites conveniently tied into our March nature studies) that I would like something that gives them plenty of time to tinker. I'm thinking quick and painless workbooks will work for us as they do have lot's of other hands on stuff to balance them out.

I love their math, LA and Reading.

My oldest didn't take to the math very well though. Sigh. She's not a spiral kind of gal.

But the LA and Reading I will continue with this coming school year.

I'll use CLE with my other girls for sure.

Thanks for the heads up and your experience so far! May I ask how old your dd was you figured out spiral was not a good fit? I'm not sure about my kids yet, but I guess that's part of the learning curve. Gotta start with something and go from there, I guess?!

Edited by JENinOR

Well this was last year. I had been using a conceptual based math program with her and she did really well with it.

So I thought it wouldn't be any different using the CLE. I got to a point I wanted something less teacher intensive.

I had heard many good things about CLe and wanted to give it a try. My daughter did like the CLE math. It just didn't like her. LOL

All of a sudden she was just getting tons of math problems wrong, and just wasn't improving. I had thought maybe the more she got into the program she would improve, but that never changed.

Fastforward to today and she is in private school at the moment and they use Saxon. She is just continually getting math problems wrong. She cannot wrap her brain around spiral math programs. I think its the jump from one concept to another without mastering it first.

So that's how I knew that the spiral method just wasn't working for her. The fact she was getting so much wrong and no improvement at all in getting less and less wrong. Sigh.

I wished it would have worked because I would be using it again this year. Now I'm on a search for a different math program for her for this upcoming year when I return to homeschooling again.

But I agree. You've got to start somewhere. You won't know how your child responds to it unless you've tried it with them first.

Are any of you crossing problems out or does it really only take 20-30 min a day? We started CLE this year but both dds (3rd and 5th) spend an hour on math every day. That's with my teaching before they start and I don't cross out any problems. I'm just curious and it surprised me. Thanks!

Are any of you crossing problems out or does it really only take 20-30 min a day? We started CLE this year but both dds (3rd and 5th) spend an hour on math every day. That's with my teaching before they start and I don't cross out any problems. I'm just curious and it surprised me. Thanks!

Hmmm, nervously awaiting the replies. :tongue_smilie: Seriously, thanks for chiming in and asking. I want to make an informed decision as possible. How do you like CLE otherwise, if you don't mind?

Hmmm, nervously awaiting the replies. :tongue_smilie: Seriously, thanks for chiming in and asking. I want to make an informed decision as possible. How do you like CLE otherwise, if you don't mind?

I actually love the math and just today ordered the LA for this fall. I don't mind spending that much time on it when they're learning though. I've heard others say it's not great because its not conceptual enough but I've seen huge strides in my oldest dd this year. I was just really surprised by the 20-30 min responses and wondered if most finish quicker than my dds.

It takes DS 20-30 mins to do the "we remember" section of the daily lesson. My time with him is 1 minute for the speed drill, 5 mins of flashcards or dice drills, and another 5-10 mins for whatever the new concept is. So DS's total time spent daily is anywhere from 30-40 mins but my time working directly with him is more like 15 min (and then I can work with DD and our Cuisenare rods while DS does the "we remember" independently). HTH.

It takes DS 20-30 mins to do the "we remember" section of the daily lesson. My time with him is 1 minute for the speed drill, 5 mins of flashcards or dice drills, and another 5-10 mins for whatever the new concept is. So DS's total time spent daily is anywhere from 30-40 mins but my time working directly with him is more like 15 min (and then I can work with DD and our Cuisenare rods while DS does the "we remember" independently). HTH.

Thank you! It does help and makes more sense. I was starting to wonder if we just take much longer thank most but what you explained makes it clearer. My time with dds is 15-30 min and their independent time is 30-45 min. so that fits.

Thank you! It does help and makes more sense. I was starting to wonder if we just take much longer thank most but what you explained makes it clearer. My time with dds is 15-30 min and their independent time is 30-45 min. so that fits.

This is the typical schedule we have, too--typically her time is closer to 45 minutes, but she's a bit of a dawdler. We started CLE Math 4 in January, and we love it. Dd has always been quick to grasp math concepts, but she needed some practice building speed with facts. This has been a great fit here.

It only takes us 30 minutes all together. . .when we first started in lightunit 107 (we're in the 300's now), it actually took longer, because ds didn't know his math facts well. But now that he has them DOWN PAT, everything goes REALLY quickly.

Hope this helps:D

It only takes us 30 minutes all together. . .when we first started in lightunit 107 (we're in the 300's now), it actually took longer, because ds didn't know his math facts well. But now that he has them DOWN PAT, everything goes REALLY quickly.

Hope this helps:D

Thanks! Both dds are solid on their math facts though and it still takes us closer to an hour with teaching. I stated above I teach and do a few things on a whiteboard for 15-30 min and then they work independently for 30 - 45 min. I asked because I am wondering if most really only take 20-30 min and my dds are just slow. They take the ITBS every year with a group here and have never run out of time but I'm was trying to get a bit of perspective.

Hope more chime in with how long total, teaching included, it usually takes to complete a lesson.:bigear:

I have been trying to get my kids to let me teach them some CLE. They take the books off and just do it. I'm like "Hey, who's the teacher here." :lol: It can obviously be very independent if that's how the kids want to be.

Funny! :lol: I think because we're doing Miquon (which is very mom intensive) that the independent thing is just sounding so good to me! I still love Miquon and think the investment is so worth it, but I'll need (heck, who am I fooling, WANT!) to do something diff. long term.

I think that it "should" only take 30-40 min., but both of my boys take longggeerrrr cuz they get distracted. I sure do love the independent part of it and we've been using it for years now and I find it gets better and better. Very solid, rigorous, yet gentle!!

I think that it "should" only take 30-40 min., but both of my boys take longggeerrrr cuz they get distracted. I sure do love the independent part of it and we've been using it for years now and I find it gets better and better. Very solid, rigorous, yet gentle!!

30-40 min independent time or total including teaching time?

Maybe one of us should start a poll. :D Still, :bigear:!

:lol: I've felt we've been doing so well and I'm not going to change what we do based on any of this...but it's driving me a bit batty to think we take double the amount of time most do. How????

We just started CLE this week so I'm no expert, but here is how it is working out with us.

I was so excited to get started I skipped the placement test. :glare: DON'T SKIP THE PLACEMENT TEST. When I got the level 3 book I knew instantly that my 7 and 9yo would be to overwhelmed. I thought my 11yo could handle level 5 and my 13yo could handle level 6. I was wrong. I am moving them both back one level in math. I can only buy one book per level right now so it was not like I spent a fortune. Something else I LOVE about this curriculum.

We have three hours of sit down work per day. For those three hours we do CLE Reading, LA, Math and Science. Usually we finish everything with time to spare.

I love the way the work is presented though it has taken me and the older girls some time to get used to it.

I love the way it has freed up so much time to do other stuff. Read alouds, extra science, history, art, music, latin.. all things that I'd given up in an effort to get back into academics. This has been the best week of school in a very long time. Everyone is relaxed and I feel like we accomplished so much! I feel like a real homeschooler again!:tongue_smilie:

We did Saxon and Rod and Staff and it was just too much work for my older girls to do independently. They are sailing through CLE so far.

My 6th grader takes 45 minutes and does the lesson completely on his own. If he has questions (occasionally), he comes to ask. This time doesn't include making any corrections after I grade it (not too many), but it does include doing all the problems in each lesson.

This is our 2nd year with CLE, and he wishes he could use it all through high school! It's working well for him too. :-)

We just started CLE this week so I'm no expert, but here is how it is working out with us.

I was so excited to get started I skipped the placement test. :glare: DON'T SKIP THE PLACEMENT TEST. When I got the level 3 book I knew instantly that my 7 and 9yo would be to overwhelmed. I thought my 11yo could handle level 5 and my 13yo could handle level 6. I was wrong. I am moving them both back one level in math. I can only buy one book per level right now so it was not like I spent a fortune. Something else I LOVE about this curriculum.

We have three hours of sit down work per day. For those three hours we do CLE Reading, LA, Math and Science. Usually we finish everything with time to spare.

I love the way the work is presented though it has taken me and the older girls some time to get used to it.

I love the way it has freed up so much time to do other stuff. Read alouds, extra science, history, art, music, latin.. all things that I'd given up in an effort to get back into academics. This has been the best week of school in a very long time. Everyone is relaxed and I feel like we accomplished so much! I feel like a real homeschooler again!:tongue_smilie:

We did Saxon and Rod and Staff and it was just too much work for my older girls to do independently. They are sailing through CLE so far.

:hurray: So happy for you!! Thanks for the heads up on the placement test.

My 6th grader takes 45 minutes and does the lesson completely on his own. If he has questions (occasionally), he comes to ask. This time doesn't include making any corrections after I grade it (not too many), but it does include doing all the problems in each lesson.

This is our 2nd year with CLE, and he wishes he could use it all through high school! It's working well for him too. :-)

Glad you found something that works well for your son! I really appreciate you taking the time to break down you CLE math day here. So helpful!

Well, so far no one has said an hour and a half, which I have heard occasionally with Saxon and CLE seems just a solid.