Menu

My baby is growing up...sniff-sniff...also a question

Dd(turned 10 in Feb) and I just finished rearranging her room. We decided to go through some toys and she is getting rid of 99% of her toys, only keeping her webkinz and a few favorite beanie babies.

She has a small box of legos, that I have had her to keep.

Other than that, she has NOTHING!! :eek::eek:

She has been telling me for about 6months or so that she doesn't want any toys. For Christmas she didn't even ask for them and we talked about it, but she said she was getting to old for them.

I feel sorry for her, because she is 10 and has nothing in her room to play with!

We have a 3 girls on our street, 2 are 2yrs older than her and really don't want to play, they think she is immature. The other one is 3yrs younger than she is and is really mean to dd.

I really want to just go out and get her want she wants so she wont be bored all the time, but then I feel bad because ds's didn't get anything!

How have you handled this???

at 10 my dd became more interested in crafts instead of playing with toys. (She still has several stuffed toys, but those are more for sentimental reasons than to play with.) Does your dd have any hobbies like knitting, scrapbooking, embroidery, photography? I got my dd supplies for her interests, and she really took off.

LauraD in MN

at 10 my dd became more interested in crafts instead of playing with toys. (She still has several stuffed toys, but those are more for sentimental reasons than to play with.) Does your dd have any hobbies like knitting, scrapbooking, embroidery, photography? I got my dd supplies for her interests, and she really took off.

LauraD in MN

Good advice. That was true for me too, when I was that age. I preferred activities like reading, sewing, drawing and playing an instrument (guitar), and spent hours entertaining myself with these activities.

Guest Shanna

If she is interested in making clothes at all one of the easiest is a jumper dress. Go to Hancocks, Joanns, or WM and look for a Sew Easy pattern, It's So Easy or Easy Stitch and Save. These are easy basic patterns. Get the $1 fabric from WM and walk through the pattern step by step. I would also get the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing. You can find it at the library and it will answer many questions that you will come across on the patterns.

Another easy one is a peasant shirt. They are very popular this summer also.

I have taught myself how to sew over the last 18 months. I sew all my daughters clothes as well as most of mine now. If you need help once you have a pattern I would be happy to help as much as I can over the internet.

Ideas would be GREAT!
Do you sew? If not, you might begin with simple projects that teach skills rather than jumping right into garment construction. I didn't have daughters, so I haven't used any of the instructional things on the market these days. But I have heard some homeschoolers speak highly of some of the beginner sewing kits they've purchased from various homeschool suppliers.

Here's a link to the sewing instruction materials Rainbow Resource sells, just to get you started.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1209936840-1229744&subject=16&category=5507

is a great place to start if dd already has a sewing machine! You can get a how-to book on simple quilting and learn together, or sign her up for a class. A simple square pattern is a good one to start with. -- I.e,. cut 4 or 6" squares out of nice pre-washed cottons and sew them together. There are some simple techniques to learn, but they can be learned in a day.

I was going to suggest starting with a quilt as well.

I remember being around 10 when my mom started letting me help her with her projects around the house (she's and artist and always had something going on). One of my favorite things was being allowed to "design" our flower garden one year.