Menu

I haven't done anything with it. We don't watch much of the Olympics, but sometimes watch the ice skating. :) And when my oldest was into swimming, we watched a lot of that.

Here is a lapbook about the Summer Olympics for HOAC. It looks nice. I might do this with the kids. I am sure it would help me have a greater understanding/appreciation for the Olympics.

I think my kids would enjoy during our own Olympics, with backyard races and a medals ceremony. I also wanted to integrate some geography study, looking at all the different countries that are represented and their flags, and where they are on the map. It's hard to get excited about it this year, but I'm going to try to plan something for my little kids.

If there's been hype, our houseold isn't aware of it other than as a political and human rights issue (not something I'm discussing with the kids). We can't watch it because we don't get any TV channels. I don't give more than a brief mention of the modern Olympics when studying ancient Greece.

How do you teach your kids about the Olympics? Watch it? (Boycott it?) Unit studies? Picture books? Websites?

We have never taught anything... but when it comes up we talk about it. We do watch ice skating and gymnastics, but that’s about it from both winter and or summer.

I just never thought about it... I have read a biography of Eric Liddell to my older kids when they were younger…. They know about Bruce Jenner and Mary Lou Retton, and a few ice skaters... Tanya Harding because we went to Loyyd Center in Portland and I told them about her. *Ü*

Maybe this year I will just give them a book and or biography to read about someone who is worthy of attention from the Olympics... but I have never really thought about teaching on it...

I bet it could turn into a great cultural/ geography study though... look at all the countries that enter, what type of sports do what countrys dominate.... How do other countries train in comparison to US in such and such events.....when was the first Olympics?? When were woman entered the Olympics...

Amanda Bennet has a unit study on Olympics.... but I have never looked at it...

Now ya got me thinkin...

Lisa~ Reading your words reminded me of something from my childhood. I got a Dorthy Hamill hair cut. :) Would that count towards a little more knowledge of the Olympics? LOL :D

I had one of those! It went with my bell bottoms! I think I was in 2nd grade! :D

Watch it!

DS (8) is a gymnast and both boys play field hockey and we are very excitedly awaiting the Olympics. Because for both of those sports it's pretty much the best competition there is to see.

If we see anything relating to the human rights issues we will discuss them, but I'm not planning any formal study.