Menu

FLORIDA-What dates/where to avoid spring breakers this yr?

Dh told me this a.m. that he wants to get away somewhere hot (and quiet) in the next month or so. Maybe Florida but we could go elsewhere-main thing is we want to avoid ANY spring break stuff (mainly college stuff but also including crowds from families).

It wouldn't be in the next two wks because we need to arrange child care, etc.

We don't go away often either, so I'm up for any and all ideas of good places to go this time of year! We're looking for great deals too.

Hmm, It's all spread out for the next month. My hubby is on spring break this week, my elementary aged son has spring break the last week of march, and there are schools all in between. If you go later in April all the spring breaks should be over I think. Also, to avoid the college stuff just go somewhere they find boring, LOL. If I were going to Florida with the hubs only I would probably go to either St. Augustine (beaches, historical sites, shopping, drinking, etc) or my parents love Fernandina Beach. Neither is hugely populated with spring breakers,

Spring break is in full swing right now here. It's mainly this week & next week (from what I hear.) Since Easter is in late April, you may find some schools that let out that week, but for most on the semester system, now is mid-term so they break now.

To avoid the masses of spring breakers, I'd check Ft. Myers beach or Naples areas. High concentration of retirees so not a party atmosphere.

Savannah is really nice! We're not hot yet (YAY). Close to 70 most days, but it will be getting warmer soon. There's also a really nice beach 20 minutes from downtown. Savannah is a lovely place for a getaway. Downtown is really beautiful. There are tourists, but not masses of the spring break kind. It never gets really crowded. It's a very relaxing place to visit (and live!).

Are you willing to go anywhere in Florida? If so, Sanibel Island is a great spot. It's always quiet and very natural. No high rise condos, only one fast food restaurant on the entire island. The east coast, the Keys and parts of the Panhandle will be the primary spring break destinations.

HTH,

Lisa

ETA: If it's just you and dh, Sanibel or Captiva Islands would be a great spot. You can count on warm, great walks/shelling on the beach, lots of cute shops and excellent restaurants. HTH!

Edited by FloridaLisa

Savannah is really nice! We're not hot yet (YAY). Close to 70 most days, but it will be getting warmer soon. There's also a really nice beach 20 minutes from downtown. Savannah is a lovely place for a getaway. Downtown is really beautiful. There are tourists, but not masses of the spring break kind. It never gets really crowded. It's a very relaxing place to visit (and live!).

Close to 70 sounds like heaven! We're running between 30-50 most days here, and I can't wait for some warmth!

Yes, Spring Breaks are so varied down here that pretty much all of April could be someone's Spring Break.

As far as North Florida, we've seen temps of 83 and 84 within the past few weeks. Last night it dipped down to 47 again, but that's the first time in about a month. Today's high is 71 and tomorrow's is 79.

Are you willing to go anywhere in Florida? If so, Sanibel Island is a great spot. It's always quiet and very natural. No high rise condos, only one fast food restaurant on the entire island. The east coast, the Keys and parts of the Panhandle will be the primary spring break destinations.

HTH,

Lisa

ETA: If it's just you and dh, Sanibel or Captiva Islands would be a great spot. You can count on warm, great walks/shelling on the beach, lots of cute shops and excellent restaurants. HTH!

:iagree: Sanibel is beautiful and very family oriented.

Sanibel is our favorite favorite place! My g'parents started going there in the 60s before there was a Causeway and to his dying day my g'father's greatest regret in life was not buying land there at that time.

All our family vacations were there growing up and I went there on my honeymoon. It is too $$$ in season though-we always go there off season.

We are bummed about all the spring break stuff and now we're having child care issues so we may have to call it off anyway :(

Thanks everyone!

from the NY Daily News:

Here is the full list of the most dangerous spring break destinations in the U.S. (in order):

1. Orlando, FL

2. Daytona Beach, FL

3. Las Vegas, NV

4. Myrtle Beach, SC

5. West Palm Beach, FL

6. South Padre Island, TX

7. New Orleans, LA

8. Panama City, FL

9. Jacksonville, FL

10. Miami, FL

11. Fort Myers, FL

12. Galveston, TX

13. Fort Lauderdale, FL

14. Lake Havasu City, AZ

15. Key West, FL

16. Kihei/Maui, HI

17. Lafayette, LA

18. Naples, FL

19. Virginia Beach, VA

20. Park City, UT

21. Steamboat Springs, CO

22. San Diego, CA

23. Reno, NV

24. Santa Barbara, CA

25. Honolulu, HI

If you're looking to avoid Spring Breakers, stay away from Ft. Myers Beach.

As others have suggested, Sanibel is the place you want to go! There's a $6 toll to get onto the island, and most teens/college kids don't want to pay the toll (so they go to Ft. Myers Beach instead). Some of the best shells are found on Sanibel's beaches. :D Captiva (right on the tip of Sanibel) is a nice, quiet place too.

Ding Darling is off of Sanibel, and it's not only interesting, it's peaceful too. :) You can even rent canoes there.

In the interest of full disclosure, I live very close to Sanibel, so take my biased review for what it's worth. ;)

I did research a few years back and found the best week to start thinking about it was the week starting the Sunday after Easter. Now, is college break, which spreads over 5-6 weeks with colleges having different breaks. Then you hit the public school traditional break that falls either the week before the week after Easter. So, it's almost May.

ETA: we went to Ft. Myers/Sanibel. it was quiet then, but getting hot.

Judging from the amount of traffic this week I'd say spring break is in full swing. :glare: Seems to be an interesting (and dangerous, traffic-wise) combination of teens/college kids in open top jeeps with surfboards hanging out the back and elderly folk driving their huge rental buicks 15 miles an hour in the left lane and clogging up the parking lot at Walmart by stopping in the middle of the driving lane to let out passengers.

Sigh.

I live in Sarasota, by the way. We are happy and thrilled for our economy this time of year. However, vacationers tend to forget sometimes that real people live and work here.

I am pretty sure this will be the case for the rest of March and into April. After Easter things quiet down considerably. The weather is absolutely gorgeous here at least into May, then it gets pretty hot.

And there are some great deals and gorgeous beaches. Plenty to do besides the beach.