Menu

Trying decide if it's worth it to copy workbooks or buy new ones??

Initially I figured I would just scan all my student workbook pages and then I could pass it down. But when a workbook is $12... I wonder if it is more logical to just buy a new workbook with each student?? My only worry would be if they did away with or changed the program in some way.

First it would depend upon copyright laws. If you're not supposed to copy the book, it's a no brainer. If you're allowed to make copies then I look at a few criteria.

1. how many pages

2. will I USE all the pages

3. how much ink does my printer use

4. Are the pages black and white or color

5. Does my copier allow me to use fast draft.

We have one printer that will only copy items on "normal". Not very cost effective. Our other printer allows "fast draft" on copy and uses less ink.

For myself I figure if the book is over 75 pages of copying and costs 10.00 or less I'm better off buying a new workbook.

I've been page protecting the ones that I plan to use for both Caleb & Julie... and even some of Braden's I've started page protecting to use with the littles. We just use permanent marker to "work" the worksheet and then whenever I get ready to pass them down I'll clean them off with a spray bottle of alcohol and the marker comes off SO nicely. That may be something you could do. ???

HTH Some! :D

I am not fussed about copyright laws but I have ended up feeling that its not worth the hassle of copying the pages most of the time.

Sometimes if I program is expensive (say $150) I have copied the pages for both kids to get a good resale on the book (especially when the $Au was much less than the $US. )

If the book is cheap (say under $30) I learned not to bother and just get another copy. Even though I have a photocopy printer, its still a hassle to copy things.

I've been page protecting the ones that I plan to use for both Caleb & Julie... and even some of Braden's I've started page protecting to use with the littles. We just use permanent marker to "work" the worksheet and then whenever I get ready to pass them down I'll clean them off with a spray bottle of alcohol and the marker comes off SO nicely. That may be something you could do. ???

Great idea!

Wet erase markers work well too. I just rinse them off at the end of the day.

For me it depends on the workbook. Some workbooks have teaching pages included and therefore the child only ends up writing in 1/3 to 1/2 of the actual pages or I have no intention of having my child complete every page.- I usually photocopy those to be reused with subsequent kids. If I know my child will write in an entire workbook or if all the pages will be of use, I will rebuy in the future. Costs for having to buy binders or supplies for my binding machine do add up and it doesn't always financial sense to copy a workbook.

Some workbooks don't allow for any photocopying but I do anyways :tongue_smilie: not because I want to reuse the workbook for future kids, but because I think my oldest could benefit from doing the same page more than once. MP's Latin products come to mind. I've had dd redo several of the pages because they were difficult for her the first time around or :o I let too much time lapse between lessons and we needed to back track a bit before moving forward. Instances like that I don't fret about copyright laws because I'm not about to buy two of the same workbook for one child so they can have extra practice.

Well, I have only 2 dc, so my decision may be different than yours (as I'd get only one other use out of a workbook).

Years ago (when starting hsing), I thought I would copy workbooks.

Over the years, I've learned that, for us, I have decided against copying the workbooks. I have the kids use their workbooks & purchase new ones in later years (if needed). I do this to save me time, often $ too, plus the convenience of the child having their own (already bound) workbook. I've also learned that what works for one child may not work for the next (i.e., I end up selecting a different program anyway for the 2nd child).

Just our experience...:tongue_smilie:

In the beginning, I always copied and never bought seperate workbooks. Part of this was due to the almost complete inability to write in any book and another part was due to the fact that my kids frequently only need part of a workbook or it turned out to not be the right level or whatever. But with programs that worked really well I ended up buying several copies just because it was impossible to keep up with the copying. I have bought at least five copies of Getting Started with Latin and it's not even a workbook.

Well to be honest, I don't read the copyright laws. I only use it for my family, and I know when I've read these threads before almost all companies are ok with that.

That is a misunderstanding that "almost all" companies are okay with that. Most are not. Some workbook publishers who market directly to homeschool families allow a family to copy. Many other publishers do not.

The copy policy for any particular workbook will be stated right in the front of the workbook, so you don't have to research; just open the cover. It is stealing to copy if it's not allowed--even if the copies are for your family. This is because if you didn't copy, you would need to buy an additional copy of the workbook, so by photocopying, you are depriving them illegally of the money from the sale.

Definitely check the copyright. A few workbooks permit copying for your family, but most don't.

Writing With Ease permits copying for your own family, but last time I checked it was slightly cheaper to buy theirs than it was to copy it. I think with postage it ended up slightly more, but I was ordering lots of other things too so it was negligible and worth it not to have another errand.

Sometimes, I put sheet protectors over the pages and have my children do workbooks with dry erase markers. Nothing illegal about that! :)