Menu

Help - WWE 2 Narrative Summary

4our4

We are in Week 23 and my 8-year DD is having difficulty with summarizing the passages. We attempt the summary without the leading questions but it usually hits 6 sentences, not the 2-3. With the questions, it's usually 4-5 sentences. How can I explain summarize to a girl who gets caught up in the details? :confused:

Thanks!

I almost wish that we had that problem around here. :lol: Half the time, my son was calculating in his head the bare minimum that he could get away with saying to avoid having to write more. It usually started with, "Am I going to have to WRITE this one?". :tongue_smilie: Sometimes when he did relax, he tried to include every detail. I just reminded him that we needed 2-3 sentences and we talked about what the most important details would be. Usually, he was able to then be a little more concise. Of course, all I had to do was mention that I would be dictating it to him.... There are few perks to teaching a reluctant writer. Maybe I just found one. :D

I'm sure that someone else will have better advice. I just try to guide them into focusing on the important details if they are having a hard time making the leap themselves.

Angela

My son will give too much detail too. I am not an expert on this, but here is what I suggest to do.

Write down her summary -- all six sentences. Then look at it together. Decide together what details she should remove and what sentences you may be able to combine. Rewrite it so she can see the shortened, concise version.

Keep plugging away! It will come!