Menu

Biblioplan

Suzanne115

Hi -

I am considering Biblioplan next year. I usually just do SOTW with the AG on my own. However, we just adopted a toddler so I thought Biblioplan might reduce some of the planning for me.

For those who use Biblioplan:

What do you purchase?

Does it use SOTW in order?

Do you recommend it?

Thank you,

Suzanne

I just use the Biblioplan for families. I don't use the extras like the coloring pages or the maps. I use the SOTW AG instead. The SOTW AG maps makes water grey so my kids can tell what is land and what is water. BP maps were more confusing for my kids.

It does mix up the SOTW chapters. I like how they arrange the chapters. Chapters about India or England are grouped next to each other. THere seems to be less confused with my kids.

I also love how they give reader information for all ages. I think it will be helpful later when I am teaching multiple age groups.

I switched to Biblioplan (cycle 2) this year and am SO glad that I did! I had been using SL and trying to plug SOTW into it, but it took TOO much time. Now that we're using BP, we're all happy and loving history! We DO use the 'Cool History' pages and map packets - they add a nice element of comprehension and geography to our study - but they are not necessary for a good BP experience. BP does NOT use SOTW (or MOH, for that matter) in the order it is written, but rather groups the regions/people groups/countries together for a period of time. Instead of going strictly chronologically and jumping from country to country we study a particular people group/country throughout a period of time (say the period of the Renaissance). Then when we are finished with that group/country, we go back and start again with another people group/country, studying it for that same period of time. Does that make ANY sense?! :tongue_smilie:Anyway, it has been a great experience and I am looking forward to sticking with it going forward. HTH!

I actually like that it doens't follow such a strict chronology as SOTW. I have heard that littles can get confused when you skip around the world so quickly. Do the BP extras (maps and cool history pages) cover similar things as the SOTW AG? Would it be overkill to purchase them both and then pick and choose what to use?

We've used BP Year 2 this year (for 2nd grader), with the SOTW 2 AG. Next year I'm going to use Cool History and the Parent Book with BP 3 and SOTW3 , and probably still get the SOTW 3 AG for the maps. I love it and wished we'd used it for Ancients. I think I may buy the e-book Bundle for BP 3. I liked having the e-book, and it wasn't all that much printing (and not too bad since my printer does auto duplex).

I was just thinking about you today, Suzanne, when we used SSL that i bought from you! (The TM)

First of all, congratulations on your adoption, and welcome, little one! We too have adopted toddlers and found Biblioplan easy to use during the adjustments.

We used Biblioplan for Families with the SOTW AG (we already owned it so made use of it). We used the first two years of Biblioplan, and LOVED it - loved the way it grouped the chapters so we could spend more time in each area/time period. We loved the books they chose and the way readings were chosen for different age groups. The three-day-a-week schedule was great in terms of adaptability; if we had to take a day off one week, we could easily double up the next and get it done.

For some reason, we decided to try something else the past few years, and haven't been as happy with the history. For the third year in the cycle we chose MFW, which uses SOTW in the order in which it was written, and I have to say, only the oldest I'm schooling (12 at the time) could follow the history - or more importantly, retain it a little while later. The others said it was too confusing, and wished they could go back to spending a longer time on one culture so they could really "dig deeper."

My one warning about Biblioplan: they offer you LOTS of choices, and we tried to do it all, which was exhausting (this is probably why I chose to try something else). You don't have to use ALL the choices listed! I'd recommend getting the core resources, consider getting the read-alouds, and see if you can use your library for the rest.

Blessings,

Aimee

Mom to 6 great kids ages 7-20, some homegrown, some born in Korea, all born in my heart

Schooling grades 2, 4, 4 and 7