Menu

Medicinal Herbs?

I have a few questions for anyone that grows and uses medicinal herbs.

1. If you were planting a garden in your backyard/house/green house, what herbs would you consider to be a must?
  2. What are the applications for the herbs?
  3. What book would you most recommend to someone starting out growing their own/using their own?

Edited by Impish

:lurk5:

Great topic! I just made my list of seeds to order for our gardens this year.

I'm planning on doing more herbs this year and learning how to use them in this way. So far I have these on my list: Borage, Echinacea. I may get some Chamomile as well. I'm starting slowly with the medicinal herbs. lol

I would really like to get seeds for Comfrey, Shepherd's Purse, and Uva Ursi. Those along with Rosemary make a healing postpartum bath. Being able to grow the herbs myself and prepare the baths for clients would be great!

Eventually I'd also like to grow the herbs needed for making a Pregnancy Tea brew.

The borage can be eaten (i.e. salads) and made into tea. There are several benefits to using borage.

Echinacea has many wonderful benefits. And of course, it can be made into a tea as well.

Chamomile has really pretty flowers but can also be made into tea.

I signed up for an online herbal class that I really need to start. :blushing: These were some of the books for the course:

Hygieia: A Woman's Herbal

The Herbal Handbook

Herbal Healing for Women

Anything by Rosemary Gladstar is an excellent resource.

These are my go-to herbs:

Calendula-skin soother

Comfrey- muscle pain/healing

Feverfew-headaches

Lemon Balm-mood lifter

Mint (peppermint and spearmint)-stomach issues

Valerian- relaxer

Echinacea (root)-immune booster

Rosemary- headaches

Lavender-many, many uses

Sage-multiple uses

Thyme-Cough

Chamomile-soothing/relaxer

Hyssop-cough/chest congestion

And these that I let grow wild on the property:

Plantain (ribwort)- stubborn splinters, stings

Nettle- tonic, blood purifier, kidneys, hair

Yarrow- nose bleeds

Jewelweed-poison ivy

Raspberry Leaf- menstrual cramps.

I may be leaving a few out, but these came to mind first. I make a lot of my own medicines and herbal preparations (teas, salves, tinctures). My favorite book is The Complete Medicinal Herbal by Penelope Ody but I also like the Family Herbal by the Theiss'.

I have comfrey which I have used many times as a poultice on sprains with great effect.

I have an echinacea, which I intend to harvest the roots from when it is mature, for the immune system.

I have mint, parsley, basil,sage, thyme, chives and rosemary for culinary use- they all have medicinal qualities as well.

Motherwort for women's issues.

Aloe vera for digestive and women's issues.

Dandelion- leaves for kidneys, roots for liver.

Lemon Verbena makes a beautiful tea.

Tulsi/Indian Basil for colds and flues.

Nettles for silica and iron.(woe betide anyone who interferes with my nettles!)

Burdoch root for blood cleansing.

White Sage for making smudge sticks.

It's really VITAL you find out what grows locally as well.

For example?

For example, in the great state of Oregon, I'd not grow Oregon Grape Root. A great choice to use in the stead of the much more difficult to cultivate (and please don't harvest it in the wild) goldenseal. Why wouldn't I grow it? I can't walk ten feet here without finding it. :)

I wouldn't grow plantain as it's easy enough to find, but I tell you what I'm sure glad it's here. :)

I wouldn't grow nettles, as it grows wild here as well, but I use it pretty much daily as an iron supplement.

I wouldn't grow red raspberry leaf, but also use it daily.

So, a garden isn't necessarily the only way to grow it. Truly, truly, learn how to wildcraft.

This isn't to discourage you ONE BIT from growing medicinal herbs - PLEASE DO! But you might be only looking in your backyard, when there is something amazing to learn (or teach and/or cultivate) all around you!

My favorite herbal book is The Family Herbal by Rosemary Gladstar.

My second & third favorites are Aviva Jill Romm's books because they relate primarily to mamas, pregnancy, and children - as well as using medicinal herbs with children.

I've not seen this one, but you might find it useful or it's Western counterpart:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Medicinal-Plants-Herbs/dp/0395988144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299542861&sr=8-1

We have this book and I can't tell you how much we love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Wild-Plants-North-American/dp/0806974885/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299542928&sr=1-15

Particularly handy is the reference on "poisonous look-alikes" because who wants to go have fun gathering edible plants only to spend the evening throwing up or dying? No fun, no fun at all. :001_huh:

If I were to list the herbs we use the most, we use herbs essentially as multi-vitamins. Most we use dried, some we grow or have intended to grow, or have just started as seedlings. Some we've wild-crafted, others we've ordered. :)

RRL (pregnancy, general feminine health)

Nettle (iron) - grows wild here

Hawthorne Berry (DH's high blood pressure)

Rose Hips (Vitamin C) - also grow wild here

Alfalfa (yes, truly the stuff in fields - think of this as a multi-vitamin)

Red Clover

Oatstraw Tops

Lemon Balm (taste and soother)

Calendula - both in tea and infused in oils for soaps, balms, creams, lip balms

Comfrey - for topical use in a healing balm

St. John's Wort - for topical use in a healing balm to help with any inflammation and as an anti-bacterial

Plantain - topical use in healing balm

Betonite Clay - to draw out slivers

Catnip - soother esp. for children - serve it in a tea

Wild Cherry Bark - cough syrup in Aviva's book - easy peasy

Elder - The berries we've wild-crafted in HUGE amounts for winter cold/flu syrups to be taken daily.

Everyone should have and use ginger & garlic.

"Let your food be your medicine." :D Grow garlic, grow it in vast quantities, use it daily. Good medicine.

Chamomile - tea for guests, plus it's soothing. I wouldn't know as I hate the stuff.

Lavendar - use it in a rice bag for backaches or for making your house smell lovely and soothing.

Dandelions - greens to be eaten fresh in the springtime, and dried for well-being as a tonifier for the blood / liver.

Arnica - infused in oil or infused in oil & then made into a balm for preventing bruising after a bump or to help with swelling or aches

Slippery Elm - absolutely necessary for either constipation OR diarrhea as it essentially makes everything wrong right again. :) It's also good for a powder to make sore throat drops.

Astralagus - good for soups during colds/flus.

We actually *don't* use Echinacea much, but if you live in the Plains, you can probably find that in any ditch or wild area. Call a conservation area to find out if they spray there first before gathering though. It's also known as Purple Coneflower and VERY easily recognizable.

You will be SHOCKED at what grows wild around you. I promise.

I have comfrey which I have used many times as a poultice on sprains with great effect.

I have an echinacea, which I intend to harvest the roots from when it is mature, for the immune system.

I have mint, parsley, basil,sage, thyme, chives and rosemary for culinary use- they all have medicinal qualities as well.

Motherwort for women's issues.

Aloe vera for digestive and women's issues.

Dandelion- leaves for kidneys, roots for liver.

Lemon Verbena makes a beautiful tea.

Tulsi/Indian Basil for colds and flues.

Nettles for silica and iron.(woe betide anyone who interferes with my nettles!)

Burdoch root for blood cleansing.

White Sage for making smudge sticks.

Thanks so much!

It's really VITAL you find out what grows locally as well.

For example?

For example, in the great state of Oregon, I'd not grow Oregon Grape Root. A great choice to use in the stead of the much more difficult to cultivate (and please don't harvest it in the wild) goldenseal. Why wouldn't I grow it? I can't walk ten feet here without finding it. :)

I wouldn't grow plantain as it's easy enough to find, but I tell you what I'm sure glad it's here. :)

I wouldn't grow nettles, as it grows wild here as well, but I use it pretty much daily as an iron supplement.

I wouldn't grow red raspberry leaf, but also use it daily.

So, a garden isn't necessarily the only way to grow it. Truly, truly, learn how to wildcraft.

This isn't to discourage you ONE BIT from growing medicinal herbs - PLEASE DO! But you might be only looking in your backyard, when there is something amazing to learn (or teach and/or cultivate) all around you!

My favorite herbal book is The Family Herbal by Rosemary Gladstar.

My second & third favorites are Aviva Jill Romm's books because they relate primarily to mamas, pregnancy, and children - as well as using medicinal herbs with children.

I've not seen this one, but you might find it useful or it's Western counterpart:

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Medicinal-Plants-Herbs/dp/0395988144/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299542861&sr=8-1

We have this book and I can't tell you how much we love it:

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Wild-Plants-North-American/dp/0806974885/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1299542928&sr=1-15

Particularly handy is the reference on "poisonous look-alikes" because who wants to go have fun gathering edible plants only to spend the evening throwing up or dying? No fun, no fun at all. :001_huh:

If I were to list the herbs we use the most, we use herbs essentially as multi-vitamins. Most we use dried, some we grow or have intended to grow, or have just started as seedlings. Some we've wild-crafted, others we've ordered. :)

RRL (pregnancy, general feminine health) What is RRL?

Nettle (iron) - grows wild here

Hawthorne Berry (DH's high blood pressure)

Rose Hips (Vitamin C) - also grow wild here

Alfalfa (yes, truly the stuff in fields - think of this as a multi-vitamin)

Red Clover what does it do?

Oatstraw Tops whats its use?

Lemon Balm (taste and soother)

Calendula - both in tea and infused in oils for soaps, balms, creams, lip balms

Comfrey - for topical use in a healing balm

St. John's Wort - for topical use in a healing balm to help with any inflammation and as an anti-bacterial

Plantain - topical use in healing balm

Betonite Clay - to draw out slivers Is this a plant or actual clay?

Catnip - soother esp. for children - serve it in a tea

Wild Cherry Bark - cough syrup in Aviva's book - easy peasy

Elder - The berries we've wild-crafted in HUGE amounts for winter cold/flu syrups to be taken daily.

Everyone should have and use ginger & garlic.

"Let your food be your medicine." :D Grow garlic, grow it in vast quantities, use it daily. Good medicine.

Chamomile - tea for guests, plus it's soothing. I wouldn't know as I hate the stuff.

Lavendar - use it in a rice bag for backaches or for making your house smell lovely and soothing.

Dandelions - greens to be eaten fresh in the springtime, and dried for well-being as a tonifier for the blood / liver.

Arnica - infused in oil or infused in oil & then made into a balm for preventing bruising after a bump or to help with swelling or aches

Slippery Elm - absolutely necessary for either constipation OR diarrhea as it essentially makes everything wrong right again. :) It's also good for a powder to make sore throat drops.

Astralagus - good for soups during colds/flus.

We actually *don't* use Echinacea much, but if you live in the Plains, you can probably find that in any ditch or wild area. Call a conservation area to find out if they spray there first before gathering though. It's also known as Purple Coneflower and VERY easily recognizable.

You will be SHOCKED at what grows wild around you. I promise.

Thanks! We know we're moving, its just a matter of when and where, so I can't begin to research what grows wild there.