Menu

Best books for helping young teen girls with self image, friends, etc.?

What are the must reads for either me or my dd (soon 13) that will help her navigate "popularity" (or lack thereof) issues, developing a healthy self image, making good friend choices, dealing with peer pressure, dealing with her wanting to buck our guidelines/standards so she can be "cool" :)?

I'm also interested if there is a "resource" book out there that covers all the basic social skills/life skills. You know, the basic stuff that most of us take for granted... basic conduct guidelines that can make the difference between fitting in or not.

Yes, we are navigating these treacherous waters even as I speak :).

Thanks for title recommendations!

Robin

Robin,

Of particular note is that I am on p.10 (still the introduction) of this book. It was recommended to me by a friend and I just received it from the library - it's called Queen Bees and Wannabees with a subtitle of "Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends & Other Realities of Adolescence"

So far - I like the way it reads, and I think it may provide some helpful information in terms of teenage girls and their relationships - with friends and with parents.

Robin,

Of particular note is that I am on p.10 (still the introduction) of this book. It was recommended to me by a friend and I just received it from the library - it's called Queen Bees and Wannabees with a subtitle of "Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends & Other Realities of Adolescence"

So far - I like the way it reads, and I think it may provide some helpful information in terms of teenage girls and their relationships - with friends and with parents.

Thanks to both you and Rebecca... I have reserved these books at the library (the Queen Bees book and the American Girl books). I appreciate the responses!

Robin