Menu

Cold Feet On Writing

Trish

I thought I knew what I was going to use for writing next year, but I'm having second thoughts. My sixth grader is a natural writer (so, yes, I've been lazy about getting down and dirty on this), and I've had him doing Wordsmith this year. He gets the exercises done, doesn't seem to mind it, yet I don't feel it's helping him with structure, which is really what he needs.

He doesn't mind sitting down to write for fun -- he loves creating his own stories and is working on a "series" that has numerous chapters with characters etc. But that's totally different than writing For School, which he groans about as much as any other student might.

I was leaning toward Writeshop, but then I was wondering if this approach might be overkill. I guess I'm looking for "underkill," but with structure. He doesn't have problems getting creative, but I want to tame it.

Yes, I covet an orderly 5-paragraph essay from this student! What is the best way to get there from here? How can I thrill him, and amaze myself with the ease with which SOMETHING out there will solve all my problems and deliver a perfectly functioning essay writer?

We will start with the lesson on hyperbole, I guess!

:confused:

Have you checked into IEW? I've heard a lot of good things about it. We have just begun to use it so I can't really offer any experience but to say it looks really good. You can get more info on the website.

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/

I've also seen people here talk about a program called Brave Writer. I don't really know anything about it tho, since I've never used it.

Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe this'll give you a place to start.

I'm chewing on a similar question for my dd who will be in fifth grade next year. My writing program du jour is Diana King's Writing Skills Book 1. I bought it awhile ago and took another look today - I think it's what i'm looking for (DD writes well but needs structure and something to write about). Book 1 goes from sentences to paragraphs to the 5 paragraph essay in a way that makes sense to me. I anticipate being able to skip some sections of the book. I also have Book 2 but I haven't looked at it in a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Skills-Diana-Haubury-King/dp/0838825656/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299480528&sr=8-2

I would suggest Writing Strands, since he is a creative writer already. WS covers all the standard non-fiction writing and also includes some specific instruction in writing good fiction. It's unusual in that regard, which may be refreshing for him compared with other programs.

Also, the logic stage writing instructions for short literary papers in TWTM are very good. Experiment write ups should accompany some science study as well.