Menu

I just have a quick phonics/grammar/writing question!

Momma H

OK, I am not sure what my brain will obsess on after I get this figured out!

I have a 5 yo and a 3 yo. I am thinking about using OPGTR to continue his learning to read. They both know all sounds of the 26 letters (phonograms) and he is starting to (just barely) sound out words (although blending is an issue, he has a really hard time getting it together). ANYWAY.

I am going to do Phonics Road with both of them but I want to wait and have them do it together. (this will be around 2-3 years!) I am thinking of having him do CLE 100 for LA and WWE in the meantime while he waits for his sister to catch up to him. I am backing off on teaching her to read because she started telling me she is just a little girl and wants to play! I am fine with that. I did not mean to teach her the phonogram sounds, she just hung out with us while he learned and caught on. (I want to brag for a second, this is a kid who is adopted and was exposed to crack, meth, pcp, perscription drugs etc etc every day of her gestation--I am amazed at her)

Does that sound like a good plan? Anything you would do different? I am also wondering if I wait to start CLE and WWE until after he is actually reading. Can someone who knows about these programs tell me that--do you need to be reading first? I figure we probably will. I am in NO hurry to start.

Can anyone help me think this through? I am an "out loud" thinker.

I think WWE would be fine for a non reader. FLL 1 is great for a non reader too actually. However CLE 1 is meant to be started in mid first grade after the student has already started CLE LTR and then progresses into the second half of the CLE Reading program. You *could* possibly make it work, but I think it would be best to wait. It really assumes the student is already reading some, and it progresses with increasing difficulty (it has A LOT of reading marks & phonics in it). Not to mention, CLE advances quite fast, so even if your 5 year old could manage LA 1, it may be too much the following year to be in LA 2 and only 6. I hope it works out. I'm certainly not scrutinizing, just sharing from my experience with CLE.

Susan

OPG has worked very well for us as between starfall, leapfrog letter factory and playing, she had also learned her letters and their sounds before starting anything formal. We just skipped the first 26 lessons in OPG that cover that and it worked out great! We are almost done with it and it has been awesomely simple to teach and incredibly effective. To break up the monotony, I'd write the lesson on a small lap-sized whiteboard (she got to pick the marker color) or we'd use magnetic letter tiles on a magnetic board. The letter tiles helped her with blending for some reason, that helped it click with dd. We also continued using starfall and started using ETC. Teaching dd to read has been the most fulfilling part of hsing for me so far. :)