Menu

Any moms over the age of 50 on here

Yes, I know how you feel and sometimes don't know where I fit in with all of the young moms. I am old enough to be the mom of some women on these boards. I am 53, my oldest is 23 and youngest is 9. No grandchildren but I am looking forward to being a grandma one day. I will be in my early 60's when we finish homeschooling.;) I will probably miss it a lot!

I'm 55 and have a 13 year old. He's my only biological child, though I helped raise my stepson, for whom dh was the custodial parent.

I'm old enough to be the mother of some moms in my IRL homeschool group, but I was also surprised at the number of older moms in the group. While I'm definitely the oldest, there are quite a few moms in their mid to late forties, and a few around 50.

sometimes I feel like I am alone in this home school journey , very few people my age.

I am not over 50...but almost there. I have been homeschooling as long as you have and I have adult children. From reading your posts, I think we are quite similar in our approach to homeschooling, including homeschooling well into the college years. My boys work side by side with dh in our family business.

You are not alone....and I am glad to see I am not as well.

Sometimes I feel like I am on a deserted island....

Faithe

ETA, My oldest is turning 25 and my younget just turned 7. Not a grandmother yet, but dd is married, so...hmmmmmm

Edited by Mommyfaithe

I'll be 50 in October (hubby will be 57 in July) and our youngest will turn 11 just 2 weeks after I turn 50.

We have always felt out of step with other parents/homeschoolers/life in general. :sad: ....even here. I feel like we live on the island of misfit toys. :lol:

Such is life, I guess........ :001_smile:

51 here with a 15- and an 18-year old. My mom had three grandchildren by the time she was my age. In our local group there are quite a few homeschoolers at, near or over fifty, so don't feel so alone. :)

Edited by Mejane

I always figure most people are just like me, so I assumed there were many, many moms around the age of fifty at least.

LOL, me too. I'm 47, close enough to 50. I'm always shocked when I meet some of these young homeschooling moms and realize that they are young enough to be my daughters, that their children could be my grandchildren!

I'm not 50 yet, (47.5) but I've got a 10 year old so I will be an over 50, homeschooling mom in just 2.5 years. Hi. I won't be done homeschooling till I'm 56 and then maybe I'll take on a grandchild or two!

I'm 46 with a 9 & 6 yr old. I'll be homeschooling until I'm in the grave, or so it seems. Actually if things go as planned, I will be homeschooling until I'm 58 or so. So, at some point, I'll be a 'Senior' Homeschooler. One nice thing though, about the time my kids hit the teen years real heavy I'll get the senior discount at Goodwill (50+) :D.

Guest CarolineUK

I'm 47 (feeling very close to 50) with children aged 11, 10, 6 and 3. I'm planning to be here for quite some time yet :D.

I tell all my friends in our homeschool group that if you round up, I'm 50 ;):lol: and that they need to respect their elders. :D

I'll be 48 in June and I think I'm the oldest mom in our group, or at least one of the oldest. Most are younger than me.

I used to care but I'm so young at heart that I forget about age. :lol:

I detest the age on my face these days, though. Stress is making me look SO old. :sad:

ETA: Forgot to mention that when I'm 48 I will be homeschooling an 8 year old and an 11 year old.

I'm 46 with a 9 & 6 yr old. I'll be homeschooling until I'm in the grave, or so it seems. Actually if things go as planned, I will be homeschooling until I'm 58 or so. So, at some point, I'll be a 'Senior' Homeschooler. One nice thing though, about the time my kids hit the teen years real heavy I'll get the senior discount at Goodwill (50+) :D.

Heck, they already give me that without asking sometimes:rolleyes:--I guess that's what I get for not coloring my hair anymore (started turning gray at 17). If asked, I will say I don't get it, but I've given up on correcting the ones who assume. I consider the savings an annoyance fee:D. I'm 48 with a 10 year old (only child).

:lol: I do this, too, sometimes. I forget there are many moms (and dads??) here in the age range of my kids (18 - 36yo). I'm 54.

LOL, me too. I'm 47, close enough to 50. I'm always shocked when I meet some of these young homeschooling moms and realize that they are young enough to be my daughters, that their children could be my grandchildren!

I thought most of the moms on the board were in their 40s & 50s... lol