Menu

Those who have used paragraph town

Penelope

Did you find it enough, to teach how to write a solid paragraph? Or did you use something else alongside it?

I have it in front of me but I can't answer my own question yet.

I have a couple of the Killgallon books and will continue working slowly through those. The child I will use PT with already writes his own narrative paragraphs of 3-5 sentences, if it matters. We'll use WWE4 for dictations.

:bigear:

I just spent the afternoon going over the Town materials and I'm planning on doing the same thing Capt is doing. I find there is a big jump between Island and Town. I have to keep in mind that these materials were written for the gifted where the cognitive leaps may possibly come naturally for such a child. While my dd (almost 11) picks up LA with ease she is definitely not ready for the Town writing expectations. I think she'll do better going from parts to whole with regard to writing, and from what I've read on these boards, Pattern Based Writing makes me think it'll help to bridge some gaps. I've already ordered it, read through Pattern 3, and it seems to walk the student through writing step by step. I think dd will receive it well but only time will tell.

For the record, I wish I could wave a magic wand, and poof have a writer in dd ready made!

No, I didn't find it to be enough. We are also using K12's composition course as well as Mom instruction.

I actually haven't found MCT to be enough by itself for anything. But it is a great program and a solid piece of the puzzle.

I bought Paragarph Town because my DD is finishing up MCT Island level. Although DD can string together several sentences on her own, she isn't ready for Paragraph Town yet. As odd as it might sound, I think that a student should have some experience writing paragraphs before starting Paragraph Town, just as a student should be able to write a sentence before starting Sentence Island.

To bridge the gap between the Island and Town levels I looked over Paragraph Writing Made Easy and The Paragraph Book series. I am leaning towards The Paragraph Book series because it moves slower and provides more explicit instruction in transitions. Plus, I disagree with how Paragraph Writing Made Easy has students count how many times a word appears in a paragraph to determine the topic.

As odd as it might sound, I think that a student should have some experience writing paragraphs before starting Paragraph Town, just as a student should be able to write a sentence before starting Sentence Island.

That's it--and the same goes for Essay Voyage and the research paper books. The MCT books are good for a tune up, not for initial instruction.

OK, I will say that Paragraph Town was enough for my dc. I agree w/Kuovonne, that the student should have paragraph writing experience before starting PT. We didn't do the Island series...my kids were in public school for a few years, then we did our own writing along with Wordsmith Apprentice (which I didn't feel advanced their writing skills very much) and then started Paragraph Town in conjunction with IEW. We ended up dropping IEW, and using PT assignments multiple times. For us, PT had just enough instruction w/o having too many specific checklist type requirements.

I actually haven't found MCT to be enough by itself for anything. But it is a great program and a solid piece of the puzzle.

I'm hoping you will see this.

I'm wondering what you (or anyone else) thinks of the vocabulary component?

I'm wondering if anyone has seen most of the series with a scope and sequence and compared it to other vocabulary roots programs?

It is so frustrating that what is actually in some of these books (not just MCT but others, too) has to be purchased to be reviewed. I need to get to a convention where I can see them all!

Remember that he wrote it for a PS audience, so I think he assumed the students were familiar with the basics. My DD did it after The Paragraph Book series and I think that I will do that as well with my younger kids.

Did you feel the teacher books were necessary for the Paragraph Book books?

Thanks.

I'm wondering what you (or anyone else) thinks of the vocabulary component?

I'm wondering if anyone has seen most of the series with a scope and sequence and compared it to other vocabulary roots programs?

The Caesar's English books are the best part of the MCT program IMHO. We had Red Hot Root Words from Prufrock Press but that was so dry that it was mostly gathering dust until we got CE. MCT loves words and it shines through in CE.

The odd chapters are roots (mostly Latin, some Greek) and the even chapters are words (again mostly Latin-derived). He offers a bunch of sentences from literature as examples of the words being used in context. There are a few exercises (less in CE I, more in CE II) but it's definitely not an independent program. It's designed to be a jumping-off point for Socratic discussion.

As DD is not yet doing Latin, I have chosen to spend 2 weeks on the root lessons and supplement with the exercises in RHRW. This is my personal preference, however, and not something that everyone will want to do. :)

Did you feel the teacher books were necessary for the Paragraph Book books?

In the first edition (what I have), you only need the TM and not the student books (all the teaching materials are in a separate section in the back). I have not seen the newly revised version but from what I've heard some of the components now require both the TM and the student book. Whatever the "basic" package is listed at RFWP is all you need. :001_smile:

In the first edition (what I have), you only need the TM and not the student books (all the teaching materials are in a separate section in the back). I have not seen the newly revised version but from what I've heard some of the components now require both the TM and the student book. Whatever the "basic" package is listed at RFWP is all you need. :001_smile:

Oh, sorry! I meant The Paragraph Book series by EPS, not the Paragraph Town MCT books (I already have those).

Oh, sorry! I meant The Paragraph Book series by EPS, not the Paragraph Town MCT books (I already have those).

Sorry! I got the TM for Vol. 1 but felt it wasn't worth the money. It was geared towards classroom use and the answers to the chapter quizzes struck me as self-evident so I didn't really need the answer key. With the other 3 books, I got just the student workbook and it was fine :001_smile: