Menu

IEW Fix-It Grammar

plain jane

I did a search on the boards for this but the only threads I found about it were all For Sale posts. :001_huh: I'm not sure if that's such a good sign. :tongue_smilie:

Could somebody here weigh in with a review on this? Does it do a good job or does it seem too busy-work-ish?

Is there something else you prefer?

I don't know what grade you are looking for, but I am using it with an eighth grader and like it. I also have a co-worker who uses it for her classes with 7th and 8th graders and likes it. It is great for reinforcing the rules. I like that they have to catch the mistakes. I don't know that I would use it to teach the rules to a younger crowd though.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I don't know what grade you are looking for, but I am using it with an eighth grader and like it. I also have a co-worker who uses it for her classes with 7th and 8th graders and likes it. It is great for reinforcing the rules. I like that they have to catch the mistakes. I don't know that I would use it to teach the rules to a younger crowd though.

:iagree:

I don't think that it is meant to teach the rules as such but reinforce them. I will be buying it for my 3rd grader as I think it looks a good way to teach him to spot his own errors. It starts out with quite basic concepts as shown in the samples on their site. Plus I LOVE anything produced by IEW!!

Stephanie

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I don't think that it is meant to teach the rules as such but reinforce them. I will be buying it for my 3rd grader as I think it looks a good way to teach him to spot his own errors. It starts out with quite basic concepts as shown in the samples on their site. Plus I LOVE anything produced by IEW!!

Stephanie

Well, on the Yahoo group they always insist that it is meant to be used instead of a formal grammar program, which I don't agree with. I love it for reinforcement but do not think it takes the place of a formal grammar program. Andrew also always says (my paraphrase) in the DVD's that when it comes to grammar less is more and the student doesn't need to know what they are using in order to use it. I love IEW too and this is the only area in which I disagree with them.

Well, on the Yahoo group they always insist that it is meant to be used instead of a formal grammar program, which I don't agree with. I love it for reinforcement but do not think it takes the :iagree:place of a formal grammar program. Andrew also always says (my paraphrase) in the DVD's that when it comes to grammar less is more and the student doesn't need to know what they are using in order to use it. I love IEW too and this is the only area in which I disagree with them.

:iagree: As with phonics, most kids benefit from explicit instruction in grammar. I have considered using Fix-It as reinforcement. I would not use it as a sole grammar program.

Thanks all. I forgot to add that I was looking to use it as a supplement rather than a grammar course. We're going to stick with R&S for grammar and probably MCT.

I'm looking for grade 5 and from what's been shared here and looking at the samples more closely, I think I'd better leave the book alone for a couple more years. I doesn't look like anything dd would want to go near at this point in time.:tongue_smilie:

I am using Fix-It with my 5th grader this year. He has been in public school up until this year. He has done well with it. It has reinforced the rules he already knows and we've learned the new ones. The last 2 years in public school, his teachers used a similar method to reinforce what they were teaching. They would have 3-5 sentences each week to correct. I LOVE this method and plan to continue using it. Fix-it is a great price too, when you consider that it is 5 years worth of grammar AND can be used by the other kids in your family as many times as you want to print it!