Menu

Anybody wanna take a stab at comparing AAR and IEW's new PAL Reading?

plain jane

I know these products are both new but I see that there are people here who have already purchased these products.

If you bought AAR or IEW's PAL Reading what made you decide to go for it? Did you look at both? What would make me choose one over the other? The puppet *is* cute though. :lol:

They both look pretty good :tongue_smilie: and I'm guessing since they both use AAS they should both be fairly decent programs? :confused:

How to decide??? :willy_nilly: Surely I don't have to buy both. ;)

I have no idea!

I HAVE used AAS though, and I love that it is scripted, open and go.

AAR will be the same, so I bought it!

Same here. I love Marie's style. I use IEW, but for some reason that particular package wasn't appealing to me. But then again, PAL is for a K'er at youngest, I'm buying for a 4 yo.

I'm sure I'll change my tune after the weekend of March 17th!

I have been reading up about these, so I'll give it a shot. But I don't want to spark a debate over which is better. I love AAS! I am buying PAL and thrilled that it incorporates AAS into it. My son is beyond AAR Pre-Level. PAL is for K -1.

PAL is both a sound and a sight method. The idea is to use phonics and whole words to help a child learn how to read. Not every word can be sounded out using phonetics. So in theory a child would be able to read more books sooner, instead of just phonetic readers. It also incorporates poetry into learning language (although I don't quit know how yet).

AAS is phonetically based. Right now the new AAR is just a pre-reading course. There is still another level to come. This level teaches letter recognition and sounds. It has worksheets, coloring and little hands-on activities to complete.

PAL teaches the letters sounds too but teaches reading all the way up to 2nd grade level. It also incorporates writing and language. The child does handwriting, then copywork, then moves into simple compositions (starting with just short sentences). So when the student has completed PAL Reading and PAL Writing they would be able to jump into SWI A. As I said above PAL also uses AAS in it's writing program, so your child is continuing to study the phonetics and how they relate to spelling. PAL also has games incorporated into the daily lessons for practice and review.

Had I a younger child and all of AAR levels were available, then I would have a dilemma. As it is, PAL fits us better where we're at (I'm hoping). I also like the whole language approach: phonics, whole words, poetry, writing, etc.

PAL is based on the ideas/teaching experience of Anna Ingram and her blended sound/sight program which she has used for 30 yrs. You can read about it here. http://www.blendedsoundsight.com/Blended_Sound_Sight_Program.html

I don't have a ton of other info on AAR, so maybe someone else can chime in if I've missed something.

Edited by scrapbabe

I have no idea!

I HAVE used AAS though, and I love that it is scripted, open and go.

AAR will be the same, so I bought it!

Same here. I love Marie's style. I use IEW, but for some reason that particular package wasn't appealing to me. But then again, PAL is for a K'er at youngest, I'm buying for a 4 yo.

I'm sure I'll change my tune after the weekend of March 17th!

I've been using WRTR for 5 years now but have been wanting to change over to AAS for grade 1. Unfortunately I haven't taken the plunge yet (was going to buy for the fall) so I don't know whether I'm going to love the program or not. It seems like most people buying AAR are ones who currently love AAS, which makes sense. :)

What's March 17???

I have been reading up about these, so I'll give it a shot. But I don't want to spark a debate over which is better. I love AAS! I am buying PAL and thrilled that it incorporates AAS into it. My son is beyond AAR Pre-Level. PAL is for K -1.

PAL is both a sound and a sight method. The idea is to use phonics and whole words to help a child learn how to read. Not every word can be sounded out using phonetics. So in theory a child would be able to read more books sooner, instead of just phonetic readers. It also incorporates poetry into learning language (although I don't quit know how yet).

AAS is phonetically based. Right now the new AAR is just a pre-reading course. There is still another level to come. This level teaches letter recognition and sounds. It has worksheets, coloring and little hands-on activities to complete.

PAL teaches the letters sounds too but teaches reading all the way up to 2nd grade level. It also incorporates writing and language. The child does handwriting, then copywork, then moves into simple compositions (starting with just short sentences). So when the student has completed PAL Reading and PAL Writing they would be able to jump into SWI A. As I said above PAL also uses AAS in it's writing program, so your child is continuing to study the phonetics and how they relate to spelling. PAL also has games incorporated into the daily lessons for practice and review.

Had I a younger child and all of AAR levels were available, then I would have a dilemma. As it is, PAL fits us better where we're at (I'm hoping). I also like the whole language approach: phonics, whole words, poetry, writing, etc.

PAL is based on the ideas/teaching experience of Anna Ingram and her blended sound/sight program which she has used for 30 yrs. You can read about it here. http://www.blendedsoundsight.com/Blended_Sound_Sight_Program.html

I don't have a ton of other info on AAR, so maybe someone else can chime in if I've missed something.

Thank you for all this info. After my thread sat unanswered for so long :crying::lol: I decided to dig deeper into both programs and I've come to the same conclusion- I think. AAR is just a tad too young for what I need and while I could wait for level 2 to come out, I think that PAL may be a better fit for my kids (K and grade 2 next year). I guess if PAL is a flop with my K'er I can add in AAR then but I think the pre-level is just too much pre-K work for my not-wanting-to-ever-sit-still-and-heaven-forbid-I-ever-have-to-hold-a-pencil-crayon-boy. :tongue_smilie: He's going to need something more to-the-point.

I do really love that PAL uses AAS since I was hoping to switch over to that anyways. Definitely a big selling feature. Plus the PAL program seems to be priced quite a bit better.

I'm not buying either for now. I might buy AAR Level 1 when it comes out but I definitely will not be buying PAL. When I saw "whole word", I closed the tab and never went back.:lol: We don't do sight words.

Check out the samples... they are very phonetically based. And we all have to learn sight words. "The" is a sight word. I'm definitely not a "sight words" only kinda call... I don't see the point in memorizing thousands of words, when you can learn to sound them out. But this program isn't that at all. This program, to my knowledge, teaches all the phonograms... it's definitely not a sight word program. Not that I'm trying to sell it to you... cause..well...I'm not.

Edited by scrapbabe

My big question though is....is PAL scripted? LOL!

I find programs that don't have SOME scripting/grid scheduling etc. to be...mind boggling for me.

I'm not sure how scripted you're talking, but it's definitely a scripted program. I need hand holding. Don't just share an idea with me, tell me how to teach it step by step. Check out the samples, there are several pages to look at.

Well, I'll chime in...

I have loved AAS. I love that it is scripted. Even though I am a former English teacher, I don't love spelling. I love that it is multi-sensory.

Add to that, my 5.5 ker knows most of her phonograms, but we have been working on step 2 of AAS for months now. We also have been doing ETC, to no avail. She still just can't seem to put all the sounds together for reading. I know it is because she just wants to read already, so she guesses at the words based on the pictures. So, I think AAR pre-level will be a good quick review for her.

AND, my 3yo LOVES to sit and do things with sister. He already knows some of his letters and sounds. I felt like going through it with both of them would help them both. So, I'll probably be done with pre-level by the time that level 1 comes out. Then I can just go back through pre-level with my baby.

I don't know what it will be like when I have to do 2 levels of AAS and 2 levels of AAR! :lol: Probably use TOG for everything else!

:lol: Oh no! Stop!!! Stop!!!! I wash my hands of this.:lol: But PAL doesn't have the Zebra!

:lol:

But it DOES have games...fun, colorful games...;)

:lol:

Seriously though, my soon to be five-year-old LOVES the zebra, and the awesome coloring pages.

I'm still going to look at those PAL samples though...you can't stop me!

:auto:

After all, one could potentially use PAL AFTER Pre level AAR. :tongue_smilie:

Well, I'm not going to buy into the which is better side of things. I think they both have plenty to offer. I am buying PAL writing which i will use with the older DD & DS and i am going to take a look at AAR Pre-level 1 for little DD who wants to read like the older ones but isn't there yet.

Well, I'm not going to buy into the which is better side of things. I think they both have plenty to offer. I am buying PAL writing which i will use with the older DD & DS and i am going to take a look at AAR Pre-level 1 for little DD who wants to read like the older ones but isn't there yet.

:lol: You figured out how to get the best of both worlds!!! :hurray: I'm in awe of you. ;) :lol:

Actually, it *does* sound like a good plan. :auto:

I'm not buying either for now. I might buy AAR Level 1 when it comes out but I definitely will not be buying PAL. When I saw "whole word", I closed the tab and never went back.:lol: We don't do sight words.

But it uses AAS in the writing portion so it really can't be that into sight words, can it? :confused:

Well, I love how they introduce printing. Love it. But they really seem to smoke through the writing, it moves very quickly, especially for a K'er. Maybe if you just did the very first bits with a K'er, then waited to pick up the program again for grade 1, then waited again for grade 2...but I don't know. I'm certainly not an expert and just started looking at the samples tonight. Does anyone else feel like it moves along very quickly? We are just now working on nouns (grade 2), let alone adverbs!

Well, I love how they introduce printing. Love it. But they really seem to smoke through the writing, it moves very quickly, especially for a K'er. Maybe if you just did the very first bits with a K'er, then waited to pick up the program again for grade 1, then waited again for grade 2...but I don't know. I'm certainly not an expert and just started looking at the samples tonight. Does anyone else feel like it moves along very quickly? We are just now working on nouns (grade 2), let alone adverbs!

Hmmm. I'll have to look at the samples again. I know for sure my K'er (in the fall) will not be ready for PAL: Writing but I thought we'd be able to do the Reading portion. I was planning on getting PAL:Writing for my child who will be in grade 2. We've been doing WRTR all year so I'm quite sure we'll fit right into AAS and she's already writing her own paragraphs so I didn't see any big jumps. I had already thought of putting her in SWI-A in the fall so this would be a gentler approach for her.

I like the look of AAR but my boy isn't going to want to do all those worksheets. It looks like a lot of busywork (for him) and he won't like that. I need something that's more to-the-point while still being thorough.

Maybe when I have a 3yo in the fall that one will enjoy AAR? :tongue_smilie:

Guest aquiverfull
Check out the samples... they are very phonetically based. And we all have to learn sight words. "The" is a sight word. I'm definitely not a "sight words" only kinda call... I don't see the point in memorizing thousands of words, when you can learn to sound them out. But this program isn't that at all. This program, to my knowledge, teaches all the phonograms... it's definitely not a sight word program. Not that I'm trying to sell it to you... cause..well...I'm not.

Ok I'm not trying to start a debate here, really. But I wanted to point out that "The" is not a sight word. It can be explained phonetically. Th can have two sounds, as Mrs. Beers puts it th can be both voiced or unvoiced. There are two actual sounds for th and the e can have 2 sounds as well. Here's an example:

/th/ (unvoiced) thin

/th/ (voiced) then

So 'the' can be sounded out phonetically. I promise I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but that's why I said what I did in the last thread about this program. There are many programs (not saying PAL does this-since I haven't seen it) that make "sight words" out of words that are truly not sight words and can be explained phonetically.

Ok I'm not trying to start a debate here, really. But I wanted to point out that "The" is not a sight word. It can be explained phonetically. Th can have two sounds, as Mrs. Beers puts it th can be both voiced or unvoiced. There are two actual sounds for th and the e can have 2 sounds as well. Here's an example:

/th/ (unvoiced) thin

/th/ (voiced) then

So 'the' can be sounded out phonetically. I promise I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but that's why I said what I did in the last thread about this program. There are many programs (not saying PAL does this-since I haven't seen it) that make "sight words" out of words that are truly not sight words and can be explained phonetically.

FWIW, WRTR teaches "The" the same way- not a sight word. :) I'm not overly concerned about the PAL:Reading program as much as I'm interested in the writing portion. I'm fairly confident (although have not used it myself) that AAS provide a solid grounding in phonics. I do hope to have my child reading prior to that which is why I would buy both programs but I don't think *I* would lose sleep if the IEW program teaches "the" as a sight word since I have the knowledge from having used WRTR to correct it.;)

Guest aquiverfull
FWIW, WRTR teaches "The" the same way- not a sight word. :) I'm not overly concerned about the PAL:Reading program as much as I'm interested in the writing portion. I'm fairly confident (although have not used it myself) that AAS provide a solid grounding in phonics. I do hope to have my child reading prior to that which is why I would buy both programs but I don't think *I* would lose sleep if the IEW program teaches "the" as a sight word since I have the knowledge from having used WRTR to correct it.;)

And truly, I wasn't trying to start a debate, just wanted to make my point. I think a lot of people who were taught sight words, don't know that those words can be phonetically explained. I have no idea how PAL will teach sight words.

I agree, the way scrapbabe described the writing portion of this program made it sound really great! The writing instruction is one thing lacking in a lot of programs.

Edited by aquiverfull

And truly, I wasn't trying to start a debate, just wanted to make my point. I think a lot of people who were taught sight words, don't know that those words can be phonetically explained. I have no idea how PAL will teach sight words.

I agree, the way scrapbabe described the writing portion of this program made it sound really great! The writing instruction is one thing lacking in a lot of programs.

Okay, I'm not saying IEW teaches "the" as a sight word. I honestly was giving a for instance. I thought e only says "e" as in set and "ee" as in feet. Those are the only two sounds it gives in AAS for that letter. It must introduce it later? E never makes the "uh" sound, right? It's an exception? To me a sight word is one of those silly words that can't be sounded out normally and has an exception to the rule. So you just have to "remember" that it is pronounced that way because there's no rule for it. And now I have really shown you all I'm not as smart as you think I am. ;) But sorry to imply IEW teaches it that way.

Edited by scrapbabe

I agree. I'm not saying one is better than the other. Cause I love AAS, I'm sure AAR is great too! We're just beyond that right now. I was just trying answer the op and compare them. But PAL will work better for us, and AAR might work better for someone else.

In the sample, I read that they introduce noun, adj, etc. for exposure, not mastery to show dc how to dress up writing. I do agree that they "smoke" through learning how to print the letters.

From looking at the samples of PAL Reading, here is my is my understanding of how they teach reading. Most phonics programs teach from the parts to the whole. PAL looks like it teaches from the whole to the parts. For example, the word blown. They will show the word on a card. Parent says, "this is blown." Dc will have already learned the sounds of b, l, n. The ow in the middle says "Oh" Let's underline it. The word is practiced. I'm very intrigued by the writing portion, not sure I buy into the reading.

Something else to note is that although the writing portion does use AAS 1, AAS 1 doesn't get very far phonetically. It doesn't do long vowels...at all...and all the many combinations of vowels that make the long sounds. It basically does short consonants, short vowels, some digraphs (ch, sh etc), simple pluralizing, floss, words that end in 'ck' or 'k' (off the top of my head from memory). AAS 1 in and of itself will only get you a short way in phonics, and it is in the writing portion in any case? Not sure how they are integrating it. I don't think it's a main component in their learning to read program, so I wouldn't judge the soundness of their phonetic approach based on the fact that they do incorporate it in some way.

I'm going to be looking for reviews as folks actually start to use this program though! Interesting to read all this conjecture, and to offer my own (absolutely conjecture!!)! :)

Something else to note is that although the writing portion does use AAS 1, AAS 1 doesn't get very far phonetically. It doesn't do long vowels...at all...and all the many combinations of vowels that make the long sounds. It basically does short consonants, short vowels, some digraphs (ch, sh etc), simple pluralizing, floss, words that end in 'ck' or 'k' (off the top of my head from memory). AAS 1 in and of itself will only get you a short way in phonics, and it is in the writing portion in any case? Not sure how they are integrating it. I don't think it's a main component in their learning to read program, so I wouldn't judge the soundness of their phonetic approach based on the fact that they do incorporate it in some way.

I'm going to be looking for reviews as folks actually start to use this program though! Interesting to read all this conjecture, and to offer my own (absolutely conjecture!!)! :)

I've been wondering about this too. Not having used AAS (but again, thinking about switching) I was planning on putting my child in level 2 or possibly 3. I can't really tell from the AAS site which would be the better level for her. I'm thinking I may have to contact IEW and see if I can use PAL:Writing with a different level of AAS and if they would mesh. I know I can buy both separately.

I'm confused. :001_huh:

After starting this thread and reading all the replies I've managed to do a complete 360 on everything and once again I don't know which to go with or if any of them will fill my needs at the moment. :tongue_smilie:

My understanding is that sight words are not always words that cannot be sounded out phonetically, but words that are used most often in print. According to info given to me by Kristen Eckenwiler of The Struggling Reader, "The" is the most common word, occuring 75x out of every 1000 words. The 10 most common words make up 24% of all printed materials, 25 most common make up 1/3 of all materials, and the top 100 most commonly used words make up 50%! Wouldn't it take a little pressure off to have certain common words mastered? Ones that may be hard to sound if you don't know every phoneme yet? I'm just coming around to sight words myself- not wholly depending on them, just seeing their usefulness.

I've been wondering about this too. Not having used AAS (but again, thinking about switching) I was planning on putting my child in level 2 or possibly 3. I can't really tell from the AAS site which would be the better level for her. I'm thinking I may have to contact IEW and see if I can use PAL:Writing with a different level of AAS and if they would mesh. I know I can buy both separately.

I'm confused. :001_huh:

After starting this thread and reading all the replies I've managed to do a complete 360 on everything and once again I don't know which to go with or if any of them will fill my needs at the moment. :tongue_smilie:

AAS really needs to be started at Lvl 1, regardless of ability. There are cards that are introduced in the beginning that you will review throughout the levels. There is a lot of memorizing, and I don't know that you would want to just throw those cards in all at the same time in level two or three. You could go through it quickly though, and slow down once you get to where you feel you need to be.

AAS really needs to be started at Lvl 1, regardless of ability. There are cards that are introduced in the beginning that you will review throughout the levels. There is a lot of memorizing, and I don't know that you would want to just throw those cards in all at the same time in level two or three. You could go through it quickly though, and slow down once you get to where you feel you need to be.

Ah! Thank you! It makes sense to buy the whole package then.

Now I just need to decide between AAR or PAL:Reading or neither. I do like that the IEW product comes with their money back guarantee. I think AAR does too. Decisions, decisions, neither one especially cheap. :001_huh:

Guest aquiverfull
Okay, I'm not saying IEW teaches "the" as a sight word. I honestly was giving a for instance. I thought e only says "e" as in set and "ee" as in feet. Those are the only two sounds it gives in AAS for that letter. It must introduce it later? E never makes the "uh" sound, right? It's an exception? To me a sight word is one of those silly words that can't be sounded out normally and has an exception to the rule. So you just have to "remember" that it is pronounced that way because there's no rule for it. And now I have really shown you all I'm not as smart as you think I am. ;) But sorry to imply IEW teaches it that way.

You're right e has only the long e vowel sound and the short e vowel sound. I believe Mrs. Beers had an explanation of the way we say both "the" with the long e sound and "the" with the /uh/ sound. And I can't remember what she said now. :blushing: I think it may have to do with different dialects and the fact that we get lazy with our speech. I know we often stretch vowels sounds, etc... I don't know, but I noticed when we say the voiced /th/ it sounds like thuh. I hope that makes sense.

I really don't know what I'm talking about though. I learned what I know from using Phonics Road, before that I was totally clueless. I feel sorta silly for even posting now. I never meant my post to come across as rude or anything, so I hope you didn't think I was being argumentative.

Edited by aquiverfull