Menu

Not sure what to use for grammar

My 16, 14 and 12 year olds have been doing R&S 7. They do okish during the lessons, but when it comes to the tests it's obvious they aren't retaining the information.

I was thinking of switching to something else for next year. I know they would prefer a workbook to a textbook. This morning I had them take the CLE placement test for level 600 and none of them passed it.

Would you recommend starting with CLE 500? Stick with R&S, but start over in the 7th book or back track to the 6th grade book? Or use something else altogether?

Thanks.

Edited by Quiver0f10

I have not looked at CLE, but I switched my son from R&S 7 this year to Easy Grammar for the same reasons you describe. It is helping for him to slow down and cover mostly one topic at a time and review more often. The teacher's manual comes with one copy of the workbook pages and then you can order extra student books for other copies (I didn't know that when I bought from RRC; don't think they made that clear online; and I bought both when I didn't really need both).

Last year my oldest did R&S 6 and this year had him do CLE 7. He took the placement test, which I don't think he passed, but I looked over what he got wrong and decided that it was more his lack of understanding their layout and a few things we had not covered yet. I also bought CLE's handbook which is referenced in each lesson so when we hit something he did not quite know, we could look it up. At first, it took him some time to get used to not doing so much English orally with Mom, but he enjoys the independence. I still look over what he has done and corrected each day so I know where he is at. I also ask him his spelling words every day to help show him that studying does make a difference.

It was a positive change for us. I plan on continuing to CLE 8 next year.

Well, other than your R & S testing challenge, perhaps you need to ask yourself this: How strong are my kids in grammar? Do they already know the parts of speech, parts of the sentence (subject, predicate, prepositional phrase), etc? If they already know that why do you really need all the grammar review? My daughter will be 13 in August and easing into 7th grade. She already knows all the parts of speech and just needs some firming up of parts of the sentence. I literally just looked (like a minute or two ago) at R & S 7 and didn't see the point of having her do that. I recently started her on IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) which is giving her practice in actually writing using the grammar knowledge she already possesses from earlier instruction. You may want to look there. I think you'll find your children, at least the 'olders', will get more out of it and will do really well. Hope that helps!

ds13 has nearly completed all of AG, but he's just not generalizing it to his own writing. He's still making basic punctuation and usage errors in his written assignments. We took a brake from AG and started doing some basic editing. We've used this http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Paragraph-Editing-Grade-6/dp/1557999600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299384605&sr=8-1

He's actually quite good a sentence diagramming. :confused:

We had great success with Analytical Grammar followed by using Character Quality Language Arts (Meaningful Composition is the writing portion alone). [on sale this month at www.tfths.com]

AG worked really well w/my linear thinker. It might not be as successful for those who are more global thinkers or who aren't as rule oriented.

Thanks for the replies. They don't have the parts of speech down, and they can pick out the bascs of a sentence. We do some of the review but not every day.

I have been thinking of AG but because it is meant for 3 years I am not sure. I was wondering if it could be used straight through and finished in a year or so rather than 3 years?

I would have them do R&S E.6 again if you already own it. Get the workbook for each dc and have them correct each other's workbooks daily. Make parts of speech & sentence parts flash cards and do them daily ALOUD until the info is memorized. Do the oral review everyday with them.

I have been thinking of AG but because it is meant for 3 years I am not sure. I was wondering if it could be used straight through and finished in a year or so rather than 3 years?

We used it straight through w/small breaks in between. We used it fall, spring then fall. It worked well that way. I think it's 36 weeks so you could just keep going with it. I found it to be a bit intense so we both welcomed the break. It's a great program!