Menu

Tips for WEM Learning Journal (Self-Ed)

I don't think something that tied me to my laptop would work. I read all over the place. I also want to be able to leave the book and notebook in a bag without having to watch that it doesn't get stolen. When I have done this, I have done it with a notebook that was about the same size as a book so that I could grab both together. And I like pencil, so I can erase. And I like college ruled or no lines. Whatever it is, I wind up drawing in it as well as writing in it, so no lines is rather nice. The bound sketchpads are nice but they don't open flat as easily unless their spine is along the short side - I like those. I can type really fast, so it would be nice to be able to do it in type, but it doesn't feel as internal. I don't want to share my reading journals. They are just for my own use. Things on the computer feel more public and less permanent. I should think this would be a very personal choice, though. It isn't easy to tell what is going to work and what isn't and sometimes small things make a surprising amount of difference.

-Nan

That's what I was wondering - about portability. Plus I think better when I write by hand. I have some composition books which are smaller, but wide-lined. I'm starting Don Quixote this week (I think I'll do the first 10 chapters, then read the 'novels' chapter in the WEM.

Some of the selections scare me - I'm pretty sure I'll like Don Quixote, I read parts of it last year, but life interupted...

Thanks for the tips!

The "short history of" section is fun to read. You can use the WEM questions for any book, so if you want to practise, you can try it out on something lighter than great books. You can even do Peter Rabbit LOL. Not all the questions will apply, but then, they don't all apply to every book no matter what you are reading, great books or not. Have fun!

-Nan