Menu

Classical Conversations - Parents NOT Staying with Kids?

Maybe I completely misunderstood this part of CC but why am I under the impression that it is NOT a drop off co-op and some other members of my campus think it is? Parents are actually leaving campus and their kids during Foundations.

Am I confused? Did I think I read something that I didn't in the sign up materials? My understanding was that parents are to be in the class with the children and that this was a key component of the program.

I'm half convinced I'm going to have to chuck the whole program if my campus can't get behavior (kids and parents) more under control. :angry:

Maybe I completely misunderstood this part of CC but why am I under the impression that it is NOT a drop off co-op and some other members of my campus think it is? Parents are actually leaving campus and their kids during Foundations.

Am I confused? Did I think I read something that I didn't in the sign up materials? My understanding was that parents are to be in the class with the children and that this was a key component of the program.

I'm half convinced I'm going to have to chuck the whole program if my campus can't get behavior (kids and parents) more under control. :angry:

Please talk with your director. This should not be happening.

Thanks for the reply. I'm asking here because my director is blessed with many gifts - however confrontation and rule enforcement aren't among them. :banghead:

I just found this in the new family covenant:

6. The parent of the Classical Conversations® Foundations and Essentials students will remain on the CC Campus during weekly program meetings. Should a parent not be able to stay they are to find another parent to be responsible for their child and let the Program Director know of the arrangements.

I really don't like the "out" at the end - I know we would expect people not to abuse this but unfortunately that is sometimes not the case.

Am I confused? Did I think I read something that I didn't in the sign up materials? My understanding was that parents are to be in the class with the children and that this was a key component of the program. You are correct

If you've already spoken to the Foundations Director and there hasn't been any improvement, your next step is to speak to the State Manager. Quickly. As this could escalate. It's expected that FD will have personality/rule enforcement issues. She shouldn't be surprised. I would think it's part of the job description. jmho Sorry you're experiencing this.

I just found this in the new family covenant:

6. The parent of the Classical Conversations® Foundations and Essentials students will remain on the CC Campus during weekly program meetings. Should a parent not be able to stay they are to find another parent to be responsible for their child and let the Program Director know of the arrangements.

I'm not in CC, so this is just my observation....This (the quote above) only says the parent should stay on campus, not in the class. That won't necessarily help with kids' behavioral issues in class. Can the individual CC group make a rule that the parent needs to be in class? What about parents who are teaching/helping in another class?

If you've already spoken to the Foundations Director and there hasn't been any improvement, your next step is to speak to the State Manager. Quickly. As this could escalate. It's expected that FD will have personality/rule enforcement issues. She shouldn't be surprised. I would think it's part of the job description. jmho Sorry you're experiencing this.

Thanks. I figured it was part of the job description but sometimes people think they are good at something that they really aren't you know?

Here's the thing: there's this starry-eyed expectation at my campus that since we are all home educators we have the same expectations for behavior from both our children and ourselves. We are learning quickly that this is the real world and standards are certainly not universal!

I'm not in CC, so this is just my observation....This (the quote above) only says the parent should stay on campus, not in the class. That won't necessarily help with kids' behavioral issues in class. Can the individual CC group make a rule that the parent needs to be in class? What about parents who are teaching/helping in another class?

The first problem is parents are actually pressuring others to watch their children while they leave campus - they are not just leaving the classroom. Next year I will have to split my time between 2 classes just because of the ages of my kids so that's understandable of course. And I'll determine where I spend my time based on the make-up of the class, the tutor and the number of other parents in the room at any given time.

We just have parents who NEED to be in class with their kids who aren't there - and sometimes it's because they aren't actually on campus!

We've got some dysfunction for sure. Those who follow rules and expectations because it's the right thing to do for the group and those who think rules and expectations apply to everyone but them.

I enjoy Classical Conversations - I just don't like this particular part of my campus.

This does not pertain to your question, but poses one for you Classical Conversations folks: how do you like it, and what do the tutors do? Are they paid? My dd is in a coop (where you can leave your kids! :) and I have thought about CC. One is beginning near me. But what do the parents do in the classroom? I guess I am envisioning 10 kids and 10 parents and a tutor and wondering how that works. Sorry if I am hijacking this thread and tell me if I should just post a new question.

I have realized that our Director, and therefore, our campus/CC community, is just freaking awesome. We do not have these issues. All the parents stay and we all help and everyone gets along fine.... if parents were leaving campus, our director would "have words" with them and it would not continue.

Each group is only supposed to have 8 kids in each class. So, in my sons class there are 8 kids. 1 kids parent is our tutor, there are 4 of us in the room with our kids, There are 3 kids whose parents can't be in the room; 1 is the director, 1 is in Nursery and the other is a tutor. We help those kids out if they need anything.

What do we do? Sometimes we just sit in the back while the tutor teaches and help with any discipline (not that bad, just fidgeting, getting distracted, type stuff. Sometimes, we help by making copies, getting supplies ready, helping with science experiments, etc.

USUALLY, it's a mix of sit and watch and then helping the kids with Geography Maps, Science, Art, etc. We have fun!

I L-O-V-E our CC Community. I strongly suggest you go to any open house that is near you, to see how things operate. And, if you join and you realize the group isn't that great; see if there are others in your area and switch communities.