Menu

Prayers for discernment pls! Applying to tutor 2 little girls

Could use your prayers.

I responded to an ad to tutor 2 homeschooling first graders next year (partly during the summer, too). I'll probably be among many applicants, as the pay is good. It would mean putting dd in school again next year, but we were sort of thinking of keeping her there, anyway, until 7th grade.

It would help pay debt, and pay for ds' college expenses, as he won't be working next summer (has to do production in Cinema during the summer, so no job in 2012). I have a heart for homeschooling, and 1st grade is so fun--

I just don't know what I want! But I'm willing to interview, if they think I'd be a good fit.

So, prayers would be good. Advice, too. Whatever. Support, I guess! :001_smile:

I've interviewed numerous nannies and potential homeschool teachers over the years, and there are some common mistakes that many unsuccessful applicants have made:

1. Do not talk about how perfect the job is for you: it's the right hours, I need the money, you're right around the corner, etc. The parents do not want to know how good the job is for you; they want to know how you're good for them. Nothing turned me off of a candidate faster than, "This job is perfect for me!"

2. If the parents ask you how you would do X, include something along the lines of, "What have you found that works?" But also have concrete suggestions of what you would try if they do not have a plan already. Again, lots of candidates are insistent that there is one way to do something (theirs), without acknowledging that I, the parent, might have figured this one out already.

3. Treat the interview like you would one for a "real" job, i.e., one that is not in someone's home. I had applicants show up in cut-off jeans, with their boyfriends waiting for them in the car. I know you wouldn't do that, but don't do whatever the grown-up mom equivalent of that is. Oh, and don't take your kids to the interview unless the parents ask you to. (I didn't hire one woman who brought her 2 year old child and then sat there while he tried his darndest to damage my computer keyboard.) On the other hand, perhaps the parents would like to meet your homeschooled kids and see that you've done a good job with them--you might want to offer to bring one!

By the way, I wouldn't be so sure about there being tons of qualified candidates. There will be plenty of applicants, but not qualified ones. I'll bet you will get the interview and the job. Good luck!

Terri

Could use your prayers.

I responded to an ad to tutor 2 homeschooling first graders next year (partly during the summer, too). I'll probably be among many applicants, as the pay is good. It would mean putting dd in school again next year, but we were sort of thinking of keeping her there, anyway, until 7th grade.

It would help pay debt, and pay for ds' college expenses, as he won't be working next summer (has to do production in Cinema during the summer, so no job in 2012). I have a heart for homeschooling, and 1st grade is so fun--

I just don't know what I want! But I'm willing to interview, if they think I'd be a good fit.

So, prayers would be good. Advice, too. Whatever. Support, I guess! :001_smile:

Would they have specific curriculum for you to use or would they expect you to bring (ie, buy) curriculum? (You might want to bring a small selection or some copied samples of curriculum you've used that you might suggest. You might want to bring a sample schedule for the grade.)

What other responsibilities would you have? Would you be feeding them lunch? Would you be doing child care for hours after schooling is done?

Is the situation legal in the state you're in, with the qualifications you have? (Do you have copies of transcripts or certifications to give to them?)

Are the kids twins? If not, are they at the same level? Are there any special needs?

I hope it works out for you.

I've interviewed numerous nannies and potential homeschool teachers over the years, and there are some common mistakes that many unsuccessful applicants have made:

1. Do not talk about how perfect the job is for you: it's the right hours, I need the money, you're right around the corner, etc. The parents do not want to know how good the job is for you; they want to know how you're good for them. Nothing turned me off of a candidate faster than, "This job is perfect for me!"

2. If the parents ask you how you would do X, include something along the lines of, "What have you found that works?" But also have concrete suggestions of what you would try if they do not have a plan already. Again, lots of candidates are insistent that there is one way to do something (theirs), without acknowledging that I, the parent, might have figured this one out already.

3. Treat the interview like you would one for a "real" job, i.e., one that is not in someone's home. I had applicants show up in cut-off jeans, with their boyfriends waiting for them in the car. I know you wouldn't do that, but don't do whatever the grown-up mom equivalent of that is. Oh, and don't take your kids to the interview unless the parents ask you to. (I didn't hire one woman who brought her 2 year old child and then sat there while he tried his darndest to damage my computer keyboard.) On the other hand, perhaps the parents would like to meet your homeschooled kids and see that you've done a good job with them--you might want to offer to bring one!

By the way, I wouldn't be so sure about there being tons of qualified candidates. There will be plenty of applicants, but not qualified ones. I'll bet you will get the interview and the job. Good luck!

Terri

Thanks so much, Terri--that is great advice. I tried, in my "cover letter," to give them a taste of my qualifications but also sound interested in hearing more about what exactly they are looking for.

I have a nice pair of dark grey slacks and a teal sweater that I'd probably wear to interview in--the kind of clothes I'd wear if I were teaching first grade at a school. :D

They want someone to do basics for 3 hours in the am, 5 days a week. They plan on hiring a French tutor and a Mandarin tutor, too.

Well, I'll keep you all posted!

Oh, and thanks everyone else for the advice--I definitely will think about what to ask them. Politely. :001_smile: