Menu

Looking for (free) Kindle books for young reader

I broke down and bought a Kindle and I must admit that I'm THRILLED with it. :hurray:

Thing is my 6yo really wants to read books on it (especially when we're out) but I'm having a hard time finding things for her to read. She is reading some of the YC's books that I bought when they had their offer a few weeks back but they're not her cuppa. I also have the Lang Fairy books but they're a bit hard for her still and are not holding her interest.

Can anybody here recommend some books for a child reading around Charlotte's Web level that are available for free for Kindle? She's not a book worm like my oldest is and I know that using this Kindle will certainly help with this if I can get the right books. Or, if not free, what are some of the least expensive options?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

How about "The Secret Garden" and "A Little Princess"?

I have those, but thank you. Unfortunately she's not interested in them. :( That's the sort of book recommendation that I'm looking for but also need a *tad* younger. She's not quite old enough to enjoy those as she can read them but I can tell they're a bit difficult for her.

I don't even really know what I'm looking for. She LOVES the idea of the Kindle and I'm hoping there's some stuff out there that's free (or near free) that I can get her reading on the Kindle that will help entice her to read more in general. As it stands she does her assigned school reading and does read during free reading time but never on her own accord. I'm hoping to change that sometime.

It's hard because most free books you will find are classics, and they tend to be at a higher reading level.

The Bobbsey Twins (many available) may work.

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Velveteen Rabbit

Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know (I think this is easier than the Lang books)

Fifty Famous People (James Baldwin) and Fifty Famous Stories Retold (this is $.95)

More difficult, for later:

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Edith Nesbit's books

Grimm's fairy tales

How about the Burgess Bird Book or the Burgess Animal Book? Maybe "Just So Stories"? Perhaps she would enjoy listening to some "harder" books? Librivox has so many wonderful public domain audiobooks. You can put audiobooks on the Kindle, too! :)

Spend 99 cents at Amazon and get this book - Free Children's Books and Young Adult Books for Kindle: Linked List of Over 1,000 Free Classics For Boys, Girls and Teens (Free Kindle eBooks) [Kindle Edition]- there is bound to be something there.

oh! Thanks! I've been looking through the Kindle books for children on amazon but hadn't seen that one yet. Sounds promising.

The Andrew Lang fairy books (The Blue Fairy Book, etc.) have shorter stories in them, which might be easier for a young reader. I also second the recommendation the Burgess books. I went to Gutenberg and downloaded some of the books from the Baldwin page (Fifty Stories, etc.,) and those are easier, too.

It's hard because most free books you will find are classics, and they tend to be at a higher reading level.

The Bobbsey Twins (many available) may work.

Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

The Velveteen Rabbit

Fairy Tales Every Child Should Know (I think this is easier than the Lang books)

Fifty Famous People (James Baldwin) and Fifty Famous Stories Retold (this is $.95)

More difficult, for later:

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

Edith Nesbit's books

Grimm's fairy tales

A second vote for Five Little Peppers!