Menu

Barbara Streisand

I know nothing of her personal life (I guess it hasn't been any of my business!)... but, wow! I heard a some from long ago on the radio and her voice was just flawless. My daughter hadn't heard Streisand before and I looked up several songs. Truly an amazing talent/gift!! There were a few songs that I loved when I was young and I never really knew who the singer was. How did I miss it? I have LOVED Memories since I was a teen... and What Kind of Fool....

Anyone else have a favorite of hers?

I have loved her music for years. I purposely ignore everything else there is to know about her.

The musical Funny Girl with Omar Sherif is one of my all time favorites. In it she sings her classic "People Who Need People."

I used to watch The Way We Were with Robert Redford when I wanted a good cry.

The only other movie of hers that I like is What's Up Doc. My whole family finds this hilariously funny.

Her Broadway albums are awesome.

"Woman in Love" is awesome. I remember standing in my bedroom, singing into the hairbrush, and feeling sooo proud if I could hold that one note as long as her. And I love the duets she did with Barry Gibb. She is an incredible singer, to say the least.

I have loved her music for years. I purposely ignore everything else there is to know about her.

Why? Aside from being married twice, being a Democrat and on Nixon's enemies list, and the fact that she's given a huge amount in charity to a diverse set of issues, what is the scandal I'm missing?

(I don't ask as a defensive fan. I loathe that style of singing. :))

The musical Funny Girl with Omar Sherif is one of my all time favorites. In it she sings her classic "People Who Need People."

I used to watch The Way We Were with Robert Redford when I wanted a good cry.

The only other movie of hers that I like is What's Up Doc. My whole family finds this hilariously funny.

Her Broadway albums are awesome.

I was going to recommend this film, it is quintessential Barbra Streisand. In addition to People, she sings my favorite, My Man.

She has an amazing voice.

I adore her movie "What's Up Doc?" with Ryan O'Neal. It is absolutely hysterical!

I grew up watching this movie often! Love it! "I am Hugh" "You are me?" "No, I am Hugh" "Stop saying that, Make him stop saying that!!" LOL

Oh and Hello Dolly is a classic and one of my favorite movies as well :)

This is probably one of my favorite songs of all time, and only she sings it right. I think it was written for her. You can skip to 44 if you just want the song.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDxUsZGEu_g

I didn't know she was at the Grammy Awards. She is 69...Hollywood Age v. Real Age. Such a conundrum. ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhmY9kuuNi8&feature=related

Edited by LibraryLover

Why? Aside from being married twice, being a Democrat and on Nixon's enemies list, and the fact that she's given a huge amount in charity to a diverse set of issues, what is the scandal I'm missing?

(I don't ask as a defensive fan. I loathe that style of singing. :))

Just because I'm always disappointed when I know too much about celebrities. I hate to read about their all too human foibles and follies. In the past, I have picked up a whiff of discontent from the film community that hints to her being excessively diva-ish. Nothing majorly disturbing. :001_smile:

I absolutely adore Barbra Streisand! A while back I was on a Barbra kick and listened to her music constantly. I even got posters and concert tickets on eBay, etc. It was crazy. I love her voice, her movies, etc. Very talented. But, like many of the celebs, I try to ignore their personal life b/c I mostly do not agree with their choices. I have so many faves. I also used to watch "Prince of Tides" over and over...just loved her in that.

If you want to hear a truly amazing song from her' date=' with an ending that always gives me goosebumps, listen to "Piece of Sky" from Yentl.[/quote']

Oh, I loved her singing in that movie. I was a big fan of hers when I was growing up. I loved turning the music up loud and singing along, trying to hold the notes along with her.

Wow, I didn't know she was that old! A friend of mine in high school loved her. Our group took turns picking stuff to do and when it was his turn he almost always picked a new Streisand movie to watch. Or one of her concerts on tape. I learned to love her!

Wow, I didn't know she was that old! A friend of mine in high school loved her. Our group took turns picking stuff to do and when it was his turn he almost always picked a new Streisand movie to watch. Or one of her concerts on tape. I learned to love her!

1942. I looked it up. lol

Yes she is plenty diva -ish but honestly if you read any books about her early life you can see why she would be so proud about how far she has come. Kind of like Oprah except that Barbra actually has real talents :D

My favourite movies of hers are Yentl, Prince of Tides, and The Mirror Has Two Faces

I LOVE her duet with Celine Dion

and this from The Mirror Has Two Faces - duet with Bryan Adams

Hello Dolly also has the added bonus of Michael Crawford - another great love of mine

Edited by sewingmama

Anyone remember her movie Yentil? I really enjoyed that one. And of course Hello Dolly is a perennial favorite here.

Yes, when I was in 7th or 8th grade, I stayed at a friend's house overnight. We went to Blockbuster with her family to rent a movie. I found Yentl, and it looked good, so they rented it. Then there was that scene with the guys bathing at the river or lake, and it showed their bare butts--my friend couldn't resist teasing and pointing out that I was the one who picked out the movie. :lol:

Funny girl and yentl. Love them both. And I didn't know she made a christmas album. I would love that! But I HATE 'people who need people'. I cannot stand that song.

In all your free time ('cause you have so much) go to you tube check out Lea Michelle belting out 'don't rain on my parade' at the Tony awards. It is every bit as wonderful as La Streisand and a great homage.

And I am not sure she is a diva...more a perfectionist. She always said that if she were a man, no one would complain about the same behavior. Yentle was nominated for best picture but NOT the director..and who do you think that was? When was the last time you saw a 'best picture' get nominated but not the director?

I didn't see 'prince of tides' because I loved the book but didn't think the movie could match it.

I am fine with her politics and would be sad to go see her in concert and not get a rant. :lol: I would figure that came with admission!