Menu

CLE where to start?

krwsmum

I am trying to decide between FLL/WWE and CLE LA, after looking at the placement tests, it looks like they assume a 2nd grader would already be diagramming. My oldest DD has never diagrammed, but everything else on the placement test she could complete without a problem. Is there any instruction for that in CLE 300s? I have never diagrammed before, and want to make sure she is taught correctly.

CLE looks like it would be a little less teacher-intensive (which would make life easier with my toddler!)-but does it teach to narrate? My middle DD definately needs help in this area.

I started my dd in the 200's, she's grade 2 as well. I don't find it's greatly beneath her level. The first bit will be a review, so we are getting through it at a good pace. It'll slow down around 207/208 a bit, from what I've looked at. She loves it.

The diagramming is very simple and starts in the 207 I believe, so if you wanted to just get those books, you should be ok. It's just the very basics. I know others have started at higher levels and were fine, so it's personal preference. I don't know what the 300's are like, haven't ordered yet. (August :lol:)

You could have her take the placement tests to see where she falls. Mid-way through PS 2nd grade, my DS placed in the 100 level of CLE because he had no formal phonics or diagramming.... Really it seemed he had no formal grammar whatsoever. I used FLL and CLE 100 to bring him up to speed a bit last spring and then switched to R&S 3 with little difficulty (he hated the workbook style for LA but loves it for math.... kids!).

I am so excited to be starting CLE LA and Math Monday! I did order the 3rd grade level for my 3rd graders. Due to tight money each month I only ordered the first book for everyone. When I got my hands on the 3rd grade books I realized they could not do that work. I rush ordered the 2nd grade books and I am much more comfortable with those.

One thing I like about CLE is that for $3.20 I can easily order a different level if one does not work.

For the grammar you could easily start with level 300. Diagramming is gently introduced really. It does start about LU 207/210ish but you could easily start her at 300 if she passed everything else. I started my oldest daughter on level 300 because she just was not picking up grammar from other programs we used.

It was perfectly fine.

CLE does sell a small diagramming book that is about $3 if you want to learn to do it yourself. I believe they also have some worksheets on this as well that you can purchase and then copy away until your heart's content.

As for CLE always, always take the diagnostic tests before placing your children. The levels are not grade levels. The numbers were put there for brick and mortar school use. Means nothing to homeschoolers.

This was verified by the CLE rep on the yahoo group.