Menu

Need vocab program to start in 7th grade OTHER than VFCR

kangato3

I'm planning to switch my dd from spelling to vocab. starting in 7th grade. I'd like to find a vocab program that I can used up through high school other than VFCR. My dd and I just don't like that program.

Thanks for any help!

My dd hated VfCR.

My girls like Word Roots from Critical Thinking Press. We use the cd-roms. They don't cost much more than the workbooks, are done on the computer (so I don't even need to grade them), and are reusable for all the kids.

Other programs you might think about are Megawords (goes from 4th grade level up to 12th grade level, but covers reading, spelling, and vocabulary) and Get a Clue (but the group buy on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op ended a few days ago).

I use the Word Roots computer games and Wordly Wise. I am happy with both. There is enough time to do both too as the Word Roots program might take a total of less than 10 hrs over the entire year to do..but is definitely a program worth doing. Wordly Wise has 20 lessons. You can spend a little more than a week on each lesson or do 1 a week. We finished the book for the year this week (we slacked a little) and I plan to have DD go back use the words in sentences now to make sure she really remembers them. I will be more on the ball with it next year, but we did Spelling Workout plus Wordly Wise plus Word Roots which was overkill. DD did SWO F this year so she is done with the series as far as we had planned to go. Next year we will be down to just the 2 programs and I think that will allow us to dive more in to the programs. FYI-I do like SWO so I am definitely planning to use it again with the younger children.