Menu

? about the NEW SM CWP

Capt_Uhura

As I sit here slaving over SM CWP3 old edition....getting it with algebra but not with the bar diagrams....and wondering if there is any hope for levels 4,5,6....... In the new SM CWP3, are there any of the challenging word problems worked out or do you only get the answers?

Capt Uhura

I haven't seen the new CWPs.

We're finishing up CWP 3 (old version) and it's where I started working the problems ahead of my son so I'd be able to help with the bar set up. :glare:

One thought is that it depends on how much your kids need the bar models. I see them as a wonderful tool for moving to algebra and seeing where a variable is helpful. The HiG for level 3 does say that kids don't need to always use bar models. I'll make my son use bar models on occasion so I see that he can use them, but he's able to to solve problems without the bars pretty often, so I let him just show work.

I think I'll be starting with basic algebra with CWP 4 next year. Need to get started on the solutions for those soon (sigh).

Yes, my son seldom uses the bar models but I found for the ones he didn't just get, the bar helps him. We're on the challenging set in the first review section at the back and I think we've only used the bar model for 3 problems or so. But after he gets the answer, I'll ask him sometimes to draw the bars so I can see if he gets it. Last night, for some reason, I thought I should work problems 21-23 just to make sure I could do them w/ bars and BAM! LOL. I was beyond exhausted. I plan to start on CWP4 this weekend as well.

Do you know about the Singapore forums?

I used them regularly when we worked through CWP, and I have a degree in math, so don't be shy. I would work out the problems ahead of time, and the ones I couldn't get I'd search and/or ask on the forums for help.

I often thought about how much money I could make if I saved those solutions....:D