Menu

is there such a thing as....

Creamed Corn a la Kristina's Gran

We like to use fresh corn & cut it off the cob. Rinse corn & put into a skillet with a little bit of butter/oil/bacon grease... whatever you use for that. (My gran ALWAYS used bacon grease for creamed corn. I know it's awful for you, but it REALLY has no flavor equal, IME.) Fry the corn until it's almost done (Really just a few minutes.) Add flour, and continue to cook until the flour is all mixed in & begins to brown. Add milk & simmer until creamed corn is the right consistency for you.

Sorry it's vague, but Gran never measured ANYTHING.

If it matters, sweet corn is on the OK to Buy Conventional list (if that makes a difference to you). It's not a dirty dozen vegetable.

If you mean the milk is the can is not organic, then I hear ya. This might help:

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/summertime-creamed-corn Although I 100% disagree with the frozen part. Forzen corn can be great...not the cobs, but the kernals. Nothing wrong with it at all, and probably higher in vitamins than corn that has been shipped across the country.

Edited by LibraryLover

Cut only the slightest bit off the cob, then turn your knife around and scrape the cob to remove the rest of the kernel. It'll be a bowl of mushy stuff. The key is to barely cut any and mostly scrape.

Then I add some milk or cream and a bit of corn starch to thicken it. Heat until bubbling, add salt, pepper, and a bit of butter.

Canned and frozen creamed corn usually has added sugar, so at first your kids might balk at the fresh. But it doesn't need sugar- they'll soon adjust.

I scrape/bag/freeze enough every summer so we eat fresh creamed corn all winter. Buying locally, I can get the corn from the field to my freezer in under 5 hours. Yum.

Cut only the slightest bit off the cob, then turn your knife around and scrape the cob to remove the rest of the kernel. It'll be a bowl of mushy stuff. The key is to barely cut any and mostly scrape.

Then I add some milk or cream and a bit of corn starch to thicken it. Heat until bubbling, add salt, pepper, and a bit of butter.

Canned and frozen creamed corn usually has added sugar, so at first your kids might balk at the fresh. But it doesn't need sugar- they'll soon adjust.

I scrape/bag/freeze enough every summer so we eat fresh creamed corn all winter. Buying locally, I can get the corn from the field to my freezer in under 5 hours. Yum.

Yep, that's close to what we do for creamed coen.

THIS is exactly what i wanted to know. But I have a question...do you add the milk/cream before you freeze it...or do you add it when you are preparing it?? And, when you are freezing it...I am assuming you still cook it before cutting and scraping, right?? I freeze corn every year, so I am familiar with how that works....thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure Alton Brown on the food network (Good Eats) did a show on creamed corn a few years ago. I'd link but for some reason my computer hates food network.

Lara

I googled it and here are several places to try (ALton Browns is there too!)

http://www.google.com/search?q=making+creamed+corn&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7ADFA_en