Menu

Prepared for Latin for Children A?

abrightmom

CAP suggests 3rd/4th grade. I'm thinking 4th grade is better but would like to hear what kind of skills need to be in place for a rising 3rd grade child to do well in LFCA. I do know that many Mamas start their kiddos in this program well before 4th.

Are there grammar pre-reqs. that would be nice to have in place? Is it silly to do SSL with a 3rd grader and wait until 4th to begin LFC? Memory work and vocabulary wouldn't be a problem. Grammar is what I'm concerned about.

My guy has had light grammar exposure via FLL 1/2 and R&S English 2. He'll be starting R&S English 3 very soon. I'd like to start LFC in the fall if he's ready for it. It's going to be on sale next week :D so I want to snap it up while it's a bargain if this is The Year. If waiting a year makes Latin more within reach I'm more than happy to wait.

ETA: SSL is so light and simple that I could see him blowing through it in a few months . . . in plenty of time to begin LFC in the fall (3rd grade). It's just that grammar . . . can't tell what is expected of the student grammar wise in LFC A. I read through the FAQ on CAP's site and peeked at samples.

How time intensive is LFC A for the student and teacher?

Edited by abrightmom

It's me again, Margaret. ;)

Here's a similar thread.

I've gone through it with my older kids, and my third, currently a second grader, will begin the first lesson this coming week. He's already completed SSL.

Grammar wise it covers subjects, action verbs, state of being verbs, linking verbs, predicate nominatives, transitive verbs and their direct objects, and near the end it gets into prepositions. The lesson on transitive verbs was simple enough my current second grader understood the concept while watching the DVD. It involves stick figures on a white board shooting arrows. :001_smile:

It wouldn't be silly to start with SSL if you'd rather, but it's not necessary.

My big kids gave LFC A an average of twenty minutes a day, five days a week.

Moon,

I should have just PM'd you :D. Thanks for advising me today!!! I value your input so much.:001_smile::001_smile:

So, the grammar concepts are new but explained well, right? You're saying that they explain the concepts and don't expect a child to know those concepts prior to beginning LFCA, right?

I suppose I could buy it, preview it thoroughly and shelve it awhile if needed.

Thanks for the link. I'll read through that. :001_smile: No more questions today, I promise! I've covered all the bases.

So, the grammar concepts are new but explained well, right? You're saying that they explain the concepts and don't expect a child to know those concepts prior to beginning LFCA, right?

Exactly. Chris Perrin teaches all those concepts on the DVD in a gentle and simple to understand fashion. My second grader, using FLL 2, won't have covered predicate nominatives before he gets to them in LFC, but he'll do fine learning it from LFC first. I think that's the only concept LFC will beat FLL to.

And I don't mind! I have no planning whatsoever to do for next week, so I've spent entirely too much time on here today. :001_smile:

That thread link was exactly what I needed to read! I am pretty torn . . . :001_smile: The ladies on that thread seem to lean toward waiting until 4th or even 5th for maximum understanding & enjoyment. I may just have to buy, preview then use or shelve as needed :001_smile:.

Thanks for the help. I have enough info. now!