Menu

x-post: Ds won't focus

EDITING my OP:

Our ds (age 11) can never seem to stick with anything much for long. He goes through phases/fads and totally and completely immerses himself in whatever he's obsessed about for several months or even a year or more. His whole life is one unit study after another. Then, on to something else.

During each phase or fad, he lives, breathes, talks, dreams about whatever his fad is at that time.

His fads have included:

High School Musical, anything Disney, dogs, horses, becoming a vet (that lasted for quite a few years!)

Now it's Harry Potter and Karate.

The list goes on and on.

We realize that he's still a kid and that people change, yet we're concerned.

To make light of all this, even my cravings during my pregnancy with him were that way - complete unit studies, since he's a unit study boy:

2 weeks of coconut milk shakes

2 weeks of Thousand Island Dressing on EVERYTHING

2 weeks of KFC ... you get the idea.

He cannot sit still for very long. He is not the studious, sit-down-and-read-a-book for very long type. Not at all the indoorsy, studious type. Nothing like dh, dd, nor I. This frustrates dh and I.

We worry about his future. We were both very academic and we can't imagine him being the type to be able to study or stick with something in college. We know that it's too early. But usually, by this age, patterns are setting, habits are forming, if you KWIM. We do realize that not all successful people have to attend college necessarily. Heck, some of the most successful people (financially successful, that is) whom I know personally never attended college. We just want him to be happy with whatever he chooses to do, and to be able to support himself and his family.

I guess my questions are:

What to do with such a kid?

What career options do we help or guide him towards?

Is there anything we can do to help him learn to actually try to stick with things?

Do you know of anyone who was like this as a child and who changed or overcame this? How?

Thank you.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

Look into Oak Meadow and seriously consider having him tested for Asperger's or ADHD. How is his diet? It DOES make a difference.

You and dh might also think about having a serious talk with your ds about what you expect now that he is in middle school, how school will change, etc.. Make a daily checklist or something for him to be accountable to tying it to rewards for meeting his daily assignments. ie so many points earns so much time doing whatever he is focused on.

Try not to worry too much. He his young and will find his own path without you steering him to anything. Other than that, continue being supportive in what he is obsessed with IF it is educational at all. Use it to your advantage. Make a web chart of what he wants to know about the subject. Try to track it. Keep a list of books he reads, etc..

Also consider posting on the Special Needs Board about this. those ladies have way more experience than I have with my kids.

Look into Oak Meadow and seriously consider having him tested for Asperger's or ADHD. How is his diet? It DOES make a difference.

On the mild side he could just be extremely right brained (hands on, do it not read about it, creative, needs to be moving). He could also have what is called an executive function deficit. That basically means he has no ability to focus on his own, it hasn't developed. I have a friend who's dh was this way. Did very poorly in school till high school, then everything fell into place, because he finally hit that developmental stage (yes very late). Now their son has been diagnosed with the same thing.

My oldest was struggling with the same sort of issues. In her cases she would happily do hs all day, but she piddles at it. I have had her time herself and literally take 10 hours to do 2 hours of work. She pauses to pet the cat, watch the birds, etc... But she doesn't have the hyper focus you are describing.

Heather

Thank you for your replies. :)

How would Oak Meadow help? I considered it many years ago, but how would it help him, if you don't mind me asking.

I don't really buy into the Asperger's thing. No offense intended.

We're quite sure that he has ADHD. But he's not always bouncing off the walls. A milder form of ADHD. No testing in this part of the world. We know he probably has it. So to us, why test?

His diet is quite good. For a kid. I'm not legalistic or the food police. Treats on weekends. Healthy otherwise.

You and dh might also think about having a serious talk with your ds about what you expect now that he is in middle school, how school will change, etc.. Make a daily checklist or something for him to be accountable to

Done this many, many times. The checklist method, however, really drains me. We've talked and talked with him until we're blue in the face. :confused:

Try not to worry too much. He his young and will find his own path without you steering him to anything. Other than that, continue being supportive in what he is obsessed with IF it is educational at all. Use it to your advantage. Make a web chart of what he wants to know about the subject. Try to track it. Keep a list of books he reads, etc..

Thanks, great suggestion.

Problem is that when we're not supportive, he gets really upset and takes it so personally, like it's the world biggest injustice. Not that we cater to it. But it really and truly wears us out.

The web chart and book lists I've tried. Nothing changed or improved. :confused:

Also consider posting on the Special Needs Board about this. those ladies have way more experience than I have with my kids.

Will likely do so. Thanks again.

Heather, thank you also. We don't have testing and such here. Quite honestly, and with all due respect, dh (and I as well, but to a lesser degree), both think that some of these tests are, how should I say it, something that the present-day Western culture is buying into. Does every single thing have to be labeled? Do we have to get tested for each and every problem? I don't have a problem with it, if there are practical suggestions as to what exactly to do. But when they try to medicate us or our children for every single difficulty, now that, I have a problem with; or, if they try to keep selling us books and DVDs to supposedly help with every single problems. Now, if something really works, that's one thing. But most don't. My dh has very little patience for all the present-day labeling. I'm very sorry if I have offended or upset anyone. :confused: He thinks much of it is gimmicky and consumerism. I tend to agree. Sorry again.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

As some one else wrote, he strikes me as right brained. As an architect I see many people who hyper-focus like he does. Such focus does them well. In fact there are many careers out there which are project based, where hyperfocusing is good. Not all of them are academic in nature.

I also think about creative people like Shawn Johnson, the snowboarder, and Bill Gates. They have to hyper focus to accomplish what they have. It strikes me that your son is just trying to figure out what it is that he is most interested in.

Thank you for your replies. :)

How would Oak Meadow help? I considered it many years ago, but how would it help him, if you don't mind me asking.

I don't really buy into the Asperger's thing. No offense intended.

We're quite sure that he has ADHD. But he's not always bouncing off the walls. A milder form of ADHD. No testing in this part of the world. We know he probably has it. So to us, why test?

His diet is quite good. For a kid. I'm not legalistic or the food police. Treats on weekends. Healthy otherwise.

Heather, thank you also. We don't have testing and such here. Quite honestly, and with all due respect, dh (and I as well, but to a lesser degree), both think that some of these tests are, how should I say it, something that the present-day Western culture is buying into. Does every single thing have to be labeled? Do we have to get tested for each and every problem? I don't have a problem with it, if there are practical suggestions as to what exactly to do. But when they try to medicate us or our children for every single difficulty, now that, I have a problem with; or, if they try to keep selling us books and DVDs to supposedly help with every single problems. Now, if something really works, that's one thing. But most don't. My dh has very little patience for all the present-day labeling. I'm very sorry if I have offended or upset anyone. :confused: He thinks much of it is gimmicky and consumerism. I tend to agree. Sorry again.

Negin, I was raised in churches that said ADHD was all bad parenting, bi-polar was sin, and people should just shape up, so I understand your skepticism. However I think it's strange that you've acknowledged your ds has some problems and don't want to grapple with them. Executive Dysfuntion is codeword for ADD. ADD is not ADHD. So at this point you know he has problems and aren't even bothering to find out what they actually are because you think it's a bunch of bunk. Well that's fine. But there are doors the diagnoses would open for you. Our OT showed us all kinds of coping mechanisms, ways to change her sensory input, etc. that dramatically improved her ability to function and our ability to do schoolwork. That's not bunk, and it's not medication. It's connecting with someone who knows the physical aspect of this stuff and can show you what to DO about it. Then you can get a neuropsych exam and have them show you exactly what parts of the brain are affected (including the executive function part of the brain) and what you can do about it. For instance he could have working memory deficits along with the executive dysfunction/ADD. That would be something you could work on. No meds, just real problems you can tackle. When you get the working memory plus some other problems, it can affect their expressive language, etc., again real things you can work on.

I was raised with the skepticism too. I've concluded NOBODY talking about these issues has complete knowledge. Yes there is bad behavior, discipline, etc. going on. But there's also physical stuff. As to why we have so much of it in America, well that gets into a discussion of toxins and just everything that's going on in our country as a whole, which is way too controversial and just plain heartbreaking.

If you want to jostle yourself a little more, I think from what our OT said ADD/ADHD is considered in the spectrum. Autism and Aspie are at the more severe end of the spectrum, and ADD, ADHD, SPD are at the lighter end. That's why there's so much overlap and why someone here might suggest you consider lots of labels, because you're really looking at a matter of degrees.

In your shoes, I would be going for an evaluation. You clearly have something going on. If he has a problem, you want to know. If he's so stinkin' gifted he hyper-focuses, well then that's cool to know too. A neuropsych can sort all that out for you. You're at the age where it's time to get it figured out. Now you're looking at how it affects his ability to do high school and LIFE.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I agree that he's probably very right brained, but there is more to learning than just your brain dominance. I have found Carla Hannaford's book http://www.amazon.com/Dominance-Factor-Knowing-Dominant-Learning/dp/0915556316 The Dominance Factor very good for determining learing profiles based on brain, eye, ear, hand and foot dominance. This book is one of the things that has helped me get on track with my ds. There is more to ds than that, because I also gave him his first standardized test which has helped me, too, but I have a much better idea of how to address most of his subjects based on this alone. I did this with my middle dd, too, as a test and it was extremely accurate (I figured out most of her learning style on my own before). None of my dc have fit most learning styles because they are too simplistic and lump too many dc together.

This is not to say you should only read this book or that he doesn't have an executive functioning deficit. However, I have read several books on learning style and this one I'm mentioning has been by far the best. I am going to look at the other book mentioned here for my middle one.

Even though your ds doesn't like the outdoors, he needs to have some good exercise and to do some weight bearing things (such as chores.) This is good for all dc, but boys especially need this at your dc's age and as they go through their teens. TWo hours a day is ideal. My ds swims and I'm hoping he'll move up to the group with 2 hour practices (he used to be terrible, but now that he's one of the better swimmers and gaining endurance I'm hoping he'll move up.)

ETA My middle one has the learning profile that fits the Einstein Syndrome, although I would NOT have guessed that by her first few years of life, but she has a lot of qualities of the Edison traits as well.

Edited by Karin

Thank you. Does it help as in telling what exactly to do?

It's been a few years since I read it. I can't remember if there were specific suggestions or not. I'd grab it and look, but it's still in storage. It did reassure me in many ways.

The book was previously published under the title The Edison Trait. I found this article describing what is talked about in the book. I would google Edison Trait and see if any of that matches your ds.

I hear you, mine doesn't either. My kids have never been tested, though I was diagnosed dyslexic and his sister was as well. It works out fine here, because I have the same issues and can see when they are simply having a recall problem and I know how to teach them ways to manage it, because I have the same problems.

What is harder in your situation is that neither you nor you dh can identify with the child.

Honestly, from what I have seen, testing is all over the place. From those who have no medical background and just diagnose symptoms, to Neurophysiology, MD's who map the brain and deal with brain issues. IMO there is way too much amateur diagnosis taking place, and often it is inaccurate and doesn't even deal with what might be the source.

That aside, my point is that it might not be a behavioral problem your child is having, it could be a developmental delay or processing problem that they can't help. You don't want to always becoming down on the child just to find out later (because they seek help, or their kids have the same issue and they seek diagnosis) that it was something they couldn't control. My advice is to have a lot of grace in the situation. Give them clear boundaries, and when ever possible do school with them or be in the same room so you can help them keep on track. Here I keep a team atmosphere. They might get frustrated, but you are there to help them through this, not tell them what they did or are doing wrong, and how they need to change, even through they can't, etc...

There have to be some good practical books on the topic as well (the good side of the craze). I would suggest you read for nuggets that would help you reach your child. Yes there will probably be a lot that doesn't help, but you only need a few good coping ideas to get you started down a better path.

But here are some of the things I have dealt with in my kids that show they have an LD are are not just another diagnosis:

-reversals of numbers and letters well into 3rd grade, sill does them, but now sees it most of the time and self corrects. (2 kids)

-takes 2 years to be fluent in vowel consent silent e words, the first year they read it as short and I have to physically point out the silent e and then they correct, the second year they read it short then see the silent e and self correct.

-writes words backwards and reads them backwards not realizing their mistake (2 kids)

-can't hear the difference between sounds (2 kids)

-can't see letters in the mind at all (3 of us)

-can spell but can't blend for over a year (1 kid)

-does all their square roots as squares for a whole assignment, even through they have know this cold for two years.

-cant recall the sounds letters make even through they have covered for 3 years and they can read at a 2nd grade level...when they can remember what the sounds are.

-none of us can trace a straight line without going off of it more than 3 times. I think you used SL, no? Maybe I am remembering wrong. They have those DEL books, and my oldest could pass every exercise 100%, except she couldn't pass the tracing work even at the easiest levels to save her life. None of us can.

-Working on 3rd grade math one day, but just not getting it despite getting it the day before, keep backing down to an easier concept, but now the child is in panic mode and cant recall anything, get all the way down to what is 1+1 and they can't even tell me the answer to that.

-Was on a website where they couldn't read any of the writing because it was back with white letters (and white and yellow are bad colors for this visual dyslexic) and the whole page washed out like this sample here (click on wash out), but could read one word on the page perfectly, continue, because it is in red (and anything in the blue, pink and purple tones work well).

-Read a name wrong for about 7 books in a series because they guessed at the name based on the beginning letters and the shape of the word instead of sounding it out.

-spelled which 4 different ways, including witch and two made up spellings, in the same document because none of them look right.

-will see a word and be sure it is spelled wrong (generally an easy high use word like which), all the bells are going off, so they check spell check, no problem there, maybe it is a homonym? Look it up in the dictionary...nope it is spelled right. Still look at the word and the bells are still going off telling you it is spelled wrong. Then the next day you go back to spelling it like normal, no second guessing needed.

-have argued tooth an nail someone was going the wrong way because they had flipped the directions in their mind without knowing it. Till you hit some landmark that shouldn't be there if you are going the wrong way and suddenly everything goes back to normal...well as normal as it can be when you realize you can trust your own thinking.

Wait those last 5 things are all things I have done and do as an adult.

These things are over diagnosed, but when you are one who truly has an issue you already know you are different, already feel like you can't trust yourself, and largely feel a like a failure. Sometimes a label is good because it tells you why you are the way you are and allows you to start dealing with how to make this work, how to get past it and how to conquer it. For some it does become an excuse, but I tend to think they would have some sort of excuse anyway.

I tell my kids they can do and be anything they want to because I truly believe they can. Their father barely passed Algebra I as a senior, but today has a great computer job surrounded by MIT type geniuses. Yet he holds his own. It will probably take them more work, and their path won't be as linear as other people becuase of their issues. But they also have strengths that other people don't have. I have the ability to analyze and explain things that probably stems from my visualization abilities, which are directly related to dyslexia. It isn't all negative. If your ds can learn to make his ability to hyper focus work for him, it could be a great asset in the work force. He is going to have to learn how to manage his own issues, how to work around them and that is where you and your dh really come in into play. If you do the research you can discover what works for other people and teach your ds. It is going to be work. It is going to be frustrating. Someday it will feel like the world is crashing in, and some days like you are at the top of a mountain peek. You won't get as far as you hoped to on your best days, but you will get much father than it looks on the worst of days.

In my mind it is the intangible things they learn that are the most important. Too keep on trying, to learn to believe in one's self despite it and at times because of it and to know that your family has faith that you will overcome and do well in life.

Heather

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Have copied and pasted them to read with dh later.

The book was previously published under the title The Edison Trait. I found this article describing what is talked about in the book. I would google Edison Trait and see if any of that matches your ds.

Thanks so much for this link. Really do appreciate it. The book might be worth getting.

I'm late to chime in but I saw this thread yesterday and didn't have time to post. I wanted to reply because your 11yo sounds very much like my 11yo (he'll be 12 in 2 weeks). He too will totally immerse himself in something. It almost consumes him. But once he gets it out of his system he's on to something else.

When he was little we thought he'd want to be a firefighter because of the way he was "consumed" with them, but today that wouldn't interest him in the least little bit.

I know you've had a couple of book recommendations already but one that described this child very well to me was Strong Willed Child or Dreamer by Ron Braund & Dana Spears. There are sections on how to handle school. When I picked this book up I never imagined that it would apply to this particular son but it did. You might want to give it a glance if your library has a copy. Also the male author fits this category and he wound up with the Dr. designation so he was able to succeed academically. :) Whew!

I'm not doing anything right now to steer this child to a particular career. He has expressed an interest in the military but I have no interest or desire to fan that flame so I hope it will pass as many of the others have. I'm hoping in a couple years time we can get a better feel for what he would be well-suited to.

One interest he has had is playing guitar. But he doesn't like the practicing. He just wants to go to the lessons and not bother with the work in between. We took him out of lessons because he wouldn't practice. He ended up missing it and began asking if he could start lessons again. We told him we weren't going to fight about practicing; if he wanted to start up again he had to prove to us that he would practice without being hounded. I added guitar practice to his daily schedule and he started practicing for the required amount of time without complaint. After a month of this, we started the lessons back up. That was 2 months ago and so far so good. Is there an instrument that your son is interested in that could help him learn that "stick with it" type of thing?

This boy also has NO interest in reading. Both his brothers will read for pleasure but not this one. As part of his school day I've added 30 minutes free reading. He must read a book of his choice for 30 minutes. He complained about that because he says he can never find a book he likes. So I told him he has to read the first 2 to 3 chapters in the book before he can decide that he doesn't like it. I think this will help him learn that if you stick with something you might be pleasantly surprised. This is something new that we just started last week so I can't say much about it's success or lack thereof.

I'm know these ideas are simple but hope they might make something pop into your head for your particular situation.

Thank you all, again. :)

Even though your ds doesn't like the outdoors

No. He LOVES the outdoors. He's outdoors and running around almost all the time. It's indoors that he cannot stand.

your 11yo sounds very much like my 11yo (he'll be 12 in 2 weeks). He too will totally immerse himself in something. It almost consumes him. But once he gets it out of his system he's on to something else.

I know you've had a couple of book recommendations already but one that described this child very well to me was Strong Willed Child or Dreamer by Ron Braund & Dana Spears. There are sections on how to handle school. When I picked this book up I never imagined that it would apply to this particular son but it did. You might want to give it a glance if your library has a copy. Also the male author fits this category and he wound up with the Dr. designation so he was able to succeed academically. :) Whew!

Comforting to know that it's not just our son. ;)

Thanks for the book recommendation. No decent library here. I do have to be quite selective as to what I buy.

Is there an instrument that your son is interested in that could help him learn that "stick with it" type of thing?

No, not unless Hermione, Harry, or Ron played an instrument in the Harry Potter stories. ;) :lol: He worships them. At. the. moment ;).

He does read in school. He reads online - things that interest him - again, Harry Potter, etc. But he's not the type to naturally lounge around like dd and I - to read for hours on end. But then again, most males that I know in both dh and my families don't either. Not saying it's good. Just pointing out that in our case, most males tend to read less than females. At least, for pleasure anyway.

Thanks so much again, everyone.

Thank you all, again. :)

No. He LOVES the outdoors. He's outdoors and running around almost all the time. It's indoors that he cannot stand.

Whoops, I must have misread. It's quite common for boys to be less interested in doing a lot of reading. My dh loves the outdoors, too, and did his degree in forest management, although he's not doing that because we live in a bad area for making for a consulting forester. '

Career options

forestry

biology--E.O. Wilson was very much an outdoorsy boy

fisherman

guide

logger (aka lumberjack)

landscaper

somewhere in the construction industry doing things like framing, etc

limnology or oceanography (the former is the freshwater equivalent of the latter)

ecologist

ornithologist

entomologist

rancher

farmer (do you have an agricultural high school nearby?)a

paver

outdoor sports coach

professional athlete

teacher of outdoor type schools such as Outward Bound

scaler (a good paying job in the logging industry and you aren't acually a logger)

tugboat operator

sailor

dam builder

There are more, but this is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Edited by Karin
because English words never have triple t's

This is an interesting thread. I actually have a daughter who is 12 and sounds similar to your son. The interesting thing in my house is that my dd and I are extremely right brained individuals...makes for interesting homeschooling adventures to say the least. My dh is extremely left brained...I am sure you can see where there are conflicts. That is why I do most of the teaching, dh can do it, but he does not have much patience and he expects everyone to follow a very linear path in their thinking.

Anyway, my dd most of the time says she hates school, fidgets and wastes time when we are trying to do math and most other subjects, complains about everything in the universe, says she is never going to college, etc. She is a VERY creative soul. That is all there is to it. She loves art, designing, video games, sports, and basically anything that either keeps her body moving or her mind in a creative mode.

I have tried to choose curriculum over the years that allows my dd's creativity to come out, but some subjects are a struggle because they require something called "work." I frequently have to keep my dd focused on what we are doing and literally have to tell her to turn her brain on. I have learned that she is capable of much more than she thinks she can do. Once you get through the initial brain fog, there is an amazing amount of thinking going on.

Just this past week we were working on math, adding and subtracting fractions and finding common denominators. She understood it really well and then I had the idea that I would give her a math placement test just to see where she was in grade level (I knew she was a little behind but I was just curious). During the test, all the sudden she cannot remember how to subtract with regrouping...I am thinking to myself how is that possible. Subtraction used to be her favorite thing to do in math and she knew it really really well. After several long frustrating hours of explanation of subtraction, the light bulb finally came on, and I could relax knowing that I was not a bad teacher for her not knowing something so simple. Anyway, sometimes it seems like there are moments in time where my dd just forgets EVERYTHING! I have to remember not to freak out or blame myself, etc every time she struggles, sometimes she is just having a bad day, we all do.

It is definitely more challenging to teach a right brained child. My dd is also visual spatial so I have to find ways to teach related to that mechanism. What has been challenging for me is that I have a natural spelling ability, actually like math, love school (most of it anyway) and my dd is completely opposite, spells all over the place with invented spellings, complains about math (although I think she is pretty good at it), and complains about schoolwork. I have had to really think hard as a parent and teacher and figure stuff out that I never had to when I was in school. I never had to try hard at spelling, so it is hard for me to get where she is coming from sometimes. I never know if I am doing enough or coming at her from the right angle. Sometimes, I swear, she looks at me like I have three heads and am speaking Greek.

I am sure that there is something that your son can eventually do in this world that will fit who he is and what his strengths are. Sometimes I get so caught up in the weaknesses that my dd has that I forget her strengths. I don't see her having the typical kind of job or going to college, but I could see her doing something creative in the arts, maybe a writer or maybe using her hands like a massage therapist or possibly even working with animals since she loves that so much.

Here are some other suggestions for jobs for creative right brained people (and I know this well since I am one):

-personal trainer or fitness instructor

-health educator or CPR instructor

-EMT or paramedic

-counselor, psychologist, or social worker

-nurse/nurse practitioner (some areas are more right brained than others)

-real estate agent or real estate flipper

-architect or designer

-writer or journalist

-physical therapist or occupational therapist

-business owner

-website designer

-game designer

-artist

-entertainer (actor, singer, comedian, stuntman, etc)

-chiropractor

-human resource specialist or recruiter

-informational speaker

-creative director

-legal mediator

-landscape designer

-corporate trainer

-consultant

-literary agent

-teacher

-nutritionist

-pet walker or groomer

-animal trainer

-chef, caterer, baker, or restaurant owner

-alternative medicine practitioner

-computer animator

-photographer or videographer

-tour guide

-ship captain

-scuba diver or instructor

-massage therapist

-life coach

-appliance repair, carpenter, electrician or painter

-firefighter or police officer

-criminal profiler or FBI agent

-virtual assistant

-professional organizer

-DJ

-audio/visual technician

-house cleaner

-private investigator

-merchandiser

-travel agent

-wedding planner

-personal shopper

-school bus driver, chauffeur, or limousine driver

-golf instructor

Some of the above do have a left brain component to them, however, what most of them have in common is that either they involve working on your own time (being your own boss) or having flexible hours/shifts or possibly even a job where you can come and go as needed. I find that as a right brained adult, even to this day, I gravitate towards either jobs where the shift is later in the day, there are part time hours, I can set my own hours, or run my own business. I have a hard time working the typical 8-5 job.

I have also seen people come up with a unique idea and make money doing something that most of us would not think of like storage facility owner, boat rentals, snow cone stand, or vending machine owner. There are too many things to list.

Edited by txhomemom

I'd venture to say that I have done some pretty extensive reading about this topic; I've also attended many professional seminars, watched DVDs, listened to audio CDs . . . and my dh and dc have struggles along similar lines.

The resources I currently think are some of the best in the field are written by Dr. Frank Lawlis. Dr. Daniel Amen's pioneering work is also excellent; both of these men are prolific authors, with an accessible writing style that's based upon current research in the medical field. Both offer sound, practical advice.

I also really like material from a website called Celebrate Calm (which was recommended by someone here :)) Kirk Martin's information about parenting a challenging child is some of the very best I've encountered (and I have shelves full of parenting books :tongue_smilie:)

While the CDs from Celebrate Calm are quite expensive, you can listen to the radio broadcasts for free; if you sign up for his free e-news letter, you will see that he regularly offers discounts on the CDs. I can also attest that he will work with you on pricing if they are cost prohibitive for you.

Best,

As others have mentioned, these behaviors sound very much like they fall on that "right-brain", visual-spatial learner, ADD, ADHD, Asperger's, Autism spectrum. Our younger DS is on the low end of this spectrum with mild dyslexia, and a strong VSL. My nephew is even more of a VSL and has that strong tendancy to stay fixed on a single topic until it is thoroughly absorbed (that is something seen in a number of people with Asberger's.)

One more suggested resource for you: Dianne Craft. She has some very simple straightforward exercises to strengthen the connection between the left and right hemispheres of the brain. We are using some of her simple physical techniques, plus some of her suggested nutritional supplements with our DS this year. I am seeing some improvements for him.

BEST of luck in finding the combination of information, nutrition, physical techniques, and curriculum/teaching methods that fit his learning style and needs! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori, as always, thanks ever so much. I was just thinking of you about an hour ago. You need to write a book or blog. You're so good with curriculum and so incredibly helpful. :grouphug: I'm going to look into the Dianne Craft stuff. I've been recommended her things before.

Lori, as always, thanks ever so much. I was just thinking of you about an hour ago. You need to write a book or blog. You're so good with curriculum and so incredibly helpful. :grouphug: I'm going to look into the Dianne Craft stuff. I've been recommended her things before.

If you decide to purchase her manual, I have a copy that I would be happy to sell. Just send me a PM.

Just a bit of encouragement....I went to a homeschool convention a couple of years ago and the keynote speaker, Bob Farewell, was discussing his son. He was very similar to your son. He would eat, breather, sleep, live something for a period of time before dropping it like a hot potato and moving on to the next thing. Bob shared how he too had wondered how this young boy's life would turn out. Later, this son discovered airplanes - he learned to fly, planned a huge fly-in at their home in Florida and became an entrepreneur. Very successful in his own right, but perhaps not in a "conventional" sort of way.

So, while your son may be any number of things - it doesn't mean that he won't be able to provide for himself or his family in his older years. The world needs more outside the box thinkers and dreamers, IMO!!

So, while your son may be any number of things - it doesn't mean that he won't be able to provide for himself or his family in his older years. The world needs more outside the box thinkers and dreamers, IMO!!

Thank you so much.

You ladies are all so very encouraging. :grouphug:

Frankly that is all quite normal for kids. Isn't it weird how it immediately becomes a pathology to dig deeply into something for awhile and then move on, when in reality we are all probably like this if we are autodidacts to any extent at all?

http://applestars.homeschooljournal.net/

This blog is excellent. Loads of great ideas for helping kids steer their own course, right brained kids info and more.